MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Re: MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Post by daves »

blakebirk wrote:Just a little update. I've got some color on the body, first coat of TS49 bright red. This is just the first coat of many with gentle polishing between coats.

I was contemplating leaving the wheels polished until I saw this photo. I'd be curious to hear if anyone had any thoughts on what silver to use on the wheels. They aren't a high gloss and have a bit of a grey/blue tint to them. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan
Your Ferrari is going great. My 250TR is a little behind yours. I have done three 1/12th early TR's and have used Tamiya TS-17 gloss aluminum on all of the wheels. The color is a good match for the vintage wheels I have seen.
One suggestion on the body color. A friend has done research on the old Ferrari race cars and found out the the factory used pink over gray as a primer. Then they finished with the typical racing red.
I will be using TS-8 italian red over pink.
Dave
250TR-1.jpg
DSCN4707.jpg

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Strange but in 1957 SEFAC sportscars had green metallic front wheels with a yellow lip. On some cars the rear wheels were also painted blue metallic, but the Mille Miglia #0684 winners rear wheels from the color photos I have seen from the race are silver. The restored cars seats are wine red. The cars seats at the race were a tan, almost the same color as the Ferrari mechanics overalls.

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Daves, thanks for the info on the color for the wheels it looks like a good color. is that model Plus 250? you did a good job with it! I have the pontoon fendered kit that may never get built, they are such rough kits.

Well, I've finished the spare wheel, it went together well, I had to bend each spoke as they go into the hub at an angle.

first row of spokes

all the back spokes complete.

All spokes done.

I pre painted the rim and hub with Alclad Dark aluminum paint. It may not be super accurate but I think it looks pretty good. I will give it a second coat later. the outer edge on the front wheels is to be yellow. it took several hours to do this wheel the others may take less but its a time consuming job, worth it though, they look really good.

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

Great job on the spare wheel. How did you figure the angle to bend. All of my TR's are MG Models. I had the pontoon body, but sold it when the MFH kit came out. The body was all wrong. Motoi at HAPICO has been working on a replacement body for years. His looks great, but the Hiro kit is better. Keep up the great work.

Dave

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

I just eyeballed the angle. the intent is the angle the tip of the spoke so it goes into the hole in the hub all the way. The spoke looks like its going into the hub at an angle (you don't see a bent spoke). The bent portion of the outer spokes is very short because there isn't much depth in the thin part of the hub. hope that makes sense.

ssobier
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Steve Sobieralski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Jim Clark, Graham Hill Jochen Rindt, Kimi
United States of America

Post by ssobier »

F1tommy wrote:Strange but in 1957 SEFAC sportscars had green metallic front wheels with a yellow lip. On some cars the rear wheels were also painted blue metallic, but the Mille Miglia #0684 winners rear wheels from the color photos I have seen from the race are silver.
It could vary. Hawthorne's car at LeMans, which is one of the kit versions, appears to have the green front wheels without yellow rims, and at Sebring front wheels apparently had the yellow rims, but were not painted green.

https://klemcoll.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... t-le-mans/
https://purl.stanford.edu/gw400cq5166

Steve Sobieralski

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

ssobier wrote:
F1tommy wrote:Strange but in 1957 SEFAC sportscars had green metallic front wheels with a yellow lip. On some cars the rear wheels were also painted blue metallic, but the Mille Miglia #0684 winners rear wheels from the color photos I have seen from the race are silver.
It could vary. Hawthorne's car at LeMans, which is one of the kit versions, appears to have the green front wheels without yellow rims, and at Sebring front wheels apparently had the yellow rims, but were not painted green.

https://klemcoll.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... t-le-mans/
https://purl.stanford.edu/gw400cq5166

Steve Sobieralski

For Sebring cars check post 2732 wich has a color photo of #0674. I have a lot of color photos from Sebring 1957, and they show the Ferrari front wheels are mostly green with yellow rim edges.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/collec ... d-137.html

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Just a small update it doesn't look like a lot has happened but there has been a lot of time on in. I finished the paint job and got it all polished
Painting the headlights
Final clear coat polished
Then as I was touching up the grey paint on the interior, I hit the finished paint with the brush. With lacquer paint on it, it immediately damaged the finished paint job.
Thankfully I was able to sand it down a little, touch up a tiny spot of the red, re clear coat the area and re polish it out so it can't be seen, lacquer paints are pretty forgiving!

The inner fender panels have been installed as well at beginning to install the various small fittings on the body which take a lot of time.
The chassis hasn't changed much, finished the seats and got them installed.

It's going well and I'm pleased with the results. up next; headlight covers - kind of dreading it. install the doors and I have 3 more wheels to do, they take about 3 1/2-4 hours each so I have to find a period of time to sit down and get them done. These things are time consuming!

Thanks for watching.

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Excellent!

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Got the headlights done. I've never liked working with these vacuum formed pieces but it went alright. slow and patient work pays off.

These little photo etched tabs get installed.

Install the covers;
the tricky part is drilling the holes and getting them aligned with the previously installed tabs so you can get the little screws installed.

I used Micro Crystal clear to glue them in place. time consuming but easier than I expected.

that'll do for now.