MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Post by blakebirk »

Winter is here which for me means it model building season. I've decided to begin the 1/12 MFH Ferrari 315S/335S kit. this wont be a complete build report but I will add some photos and comments as I go along.

I began per the instructions with the motor, it went together well with no surprises. I used 3 different silver shades from Alclad 2 and matte, flat, and gloss clear coats to try to give some variation, I also used liberal black washes with pastel and water to try to give it some depth and age.

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
United States of America

Re: MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Post by blakebirk »

I've also began working on the suspension. The rear leaf spring had some issues, it has holes in each of the individual photoetched leafs and the ones adjacent to the center hole did not align so I either has to elongate or drill new holes to get the little bolts through. they still need to be painted.

Progress so far.

Its a great kit. I'm enjoying the build so far! more later.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Great start, thank you for sharing.

Joe.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

The washes sure worked their magic on the block. I just wish I could zoom in on the engine more :).
Just a thought, but for the springs, what happens when you bend them to match the actual position
they will be used in, will the holes match up then?

Please keep posting, maybe do a full build log? This is looking too good to pass up on!
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Sky1911- that's a very good question, I'm hoping to find the answer to later today. the instructions don't give any information as to glue them all together or not. I only glued them at the little pins that go through the holes in the hope that there would be some flexibility should the spring need to be bent. I'll let you know what happens. I'll try to get some close up photos of the engine too.

caterhamnut
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by caterhamnut »

Engine looks lovely - also looking forward to seeing close up shots of your washes etc - look very good....

Roncla
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Post by Roncla »

That engine looks the part. I recently purchased this came kit and will be following your build closely.
Its always helpful to have a pathfinder calling out any issues they find during their build.

Topic author
blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

I can't stress this enough but pre-fit everything. I wanted to mount the rear suspension today and see how the spring fits in and found that the fit was not good.
The spring is supposed to fit between the two prongs that stick up bit it doesn't. I will probably just file down the mounting points so it fits in and touch up the paint, most of the rear suspension is hidden buy the fuel tank anyway.

I added more detail to the engine today instead, here are some close up's

The distributor wiring is all that's left for the engine. I put a bit of curvature on the velocity stack screens using this tool

Thanks for watching.

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

Hi blakebirk...

Excellent start to this, your latest modelling quest, shall we title it... ' A Winters Tale ' ???
Because you will tell us all about this build over the next few months, won't you, with
plenty of piccies :lol: As it will also take as long as Winter to complete the build, possibly
longer of this ONE of my all time favourite Ferraris... unfortunately MFH followed this kit
with another must have Ferrari. The 1958 Ferrari 250 TR, wifes got it for Christmas for me.

ATB Steve.
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Ooooohhhh, very cool build 8) !!! I do love a Ferrari, and am excited to see it being built. Your work looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing more!!

Cheers,
Chris