MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

ah100m
F2
F2
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Re: MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Post by ah100m »

I'm building this car and I'm up to building the grille. How did you do it? Did you assemble all of the vertical and horizontal slats together (super glue?) and then insert it into the white metal surround or did you insert all of the slates individually? Either way has proven difficult and I'd like to know which way was successful for you so I can continue down that path.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Re: MFH 1/12 Ferrari 315S/335S

Post by sky1911 »

Would using clay be an option? The slats are interlocking, right? Blob of clay, sort of rolled a bit so it covers the overall area of the grille, start with placing one of the central horizontal slats, then maybe try and one or two of the outer edges of the grille as guides and press into the clay, mark where the next horizontal would intersect, remove the verticals again, try placing another horizontal, then see if those verticals match, and continue until everything is placed. Then start gluing? That's what I would try.
Or do the same with double sided sticky tape. Glue that to a flat surface and start placing the slats. However, considering the grilles of those cars, the slats would probably not be lying flat on either front or back, so maybe (modelling) clay is the better option?
Cheers,
Roman