Another slow 1/12 MP4/6 build

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna
Singapore

Another slow 1/12 MP4/6 build

Post by Chumley »

Hi all - I have been lurking around for a while now and have opened the lid on this beast many a time without dipping in. That was close to a year ago. Since then I have been sourcing parts, detail sets and PE. Since I started, more have been released and so, naturally I had to have them. I also found myself buying a whole bunch of tools I have never had before - Like a PE bending tool (which I must say is absolutely brilliant) - but anyway I digress.

I decided recently that the only way I am ever going to start this thing is by doing a WIP - so apologies in advance. This is going to be a sloooooow process. but here goes.

So far I have the following:

Additional Cowling (ebay)
Additional Monocoque (ebay)
Additional F Parts (ebay)
Additional W & B Parts (Tamiya)
Full Decals (Decalpool & Tabu Design)
MP4/6 Formula Perfect Kit (TVF1)
MP4/6 Super Brake Kit (TVF1)
MP4/6 Mechanical Parts (AcuStion)
MP4/6 Antenna (AcuStion)
MP4/6 Windshield (AcuStion)
MP4/6 Engine Detail Set (Top Studio)
MP4/6 Cockpit Detail Set (Top Studio)
MP4/6 Brake Detail Set (Top Studio)
Rivets (Top Studio)
Electrical Connectors (Tuner MM)
Various other detail and scratchbuilt parts

References:
Fascination F1 (Schlegelmilch)
McLaren Formula1 (Schlegelmilch)
MP4/6 - (Joe Honda)
F1 Season Review 1991

Although the kit represented is the one that raced in the German GP, I wanted to make the car I had seen in Spa that year. It became clear however that the set up for Spa was different

So I did a little research, which also revealed that the mirrors were painted day glo in the early season cars...

I have generalised the wing settings into either low, medium, or high, or a combination of both. (These settings are Race only – Qualifying settings may be different. I also cannot say for sure that these settings are correct, but are to the best of my knowledge)

Race 1: USA High downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors – No screen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – White Tag logo

Race 2: Brazil High downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors - No screen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – Camera - White TAG logo

Race 3: San Marino Med downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors - No screen – Narrow M@r!b*r* on rear wing – White TAG logo (Wet Race)

Race 4: Monaco High downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors – Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – No Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 5: Canada Med/Low downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors - Windscreen – Narrow M@r!b*r* on rear wing – Camera -Black TAG logo

Race 6: Mexico Med/Low downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors - Windscreen – Narrow M@r!b*r* on rear wing – No Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 7: France Med/Low downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors - Windscreen –Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing –No camera - Black TAG logo

Race 8: UK Med/Low downforce wings – Dayglo mirrors – Windscreen – Dash logos – No Camera – Black TAG logo

Race 9: Germany Low downforce wings – White mirrors (Dayglo mirrors were used in warm up) – Windscreen – Mclaren logos – Camera – Black TAG logo

Race 10: Hungary High downforce wings – White mirrors – Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – Camera – Black TAG logo

Race 11: Belgium Low downforce wings – White mirrors - Windscreen – Narrow M@r!b*r* on rear wing – No Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 12: Italy Low downforce wings – White mirrors - Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – No Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 13: Portugal Med downforce wings – White mirrors - Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – No Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 14: Spain Med downforce wings – White mirrors - Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – No Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 15: Japan Med downforce wings – White mirrors - Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – Camera - Black TAG logo

Race 16: Australia High downforce wings – White mirrors – Windscreen – Full width M@r!b*r* on rear wing – Camera – Black TAG logo (Wet Race)

From the above, it seems that the Portuguese, Spanish or Japanese GP are the most suitable to build, provided the M@r!b*r* Logos are added, or the French GP if the mirrors are painted in the dayglo colour. The first three races of the season also had dayglo mirrors, but the cowling would need to be modified to represent the lack of a clear windscreen (as shown here at Interlagos)
interlagos.png
The later season car looked like this, with the TAG logo moving under the race number. Note white mirrors:
later.png
Before I carry on - have I got this all right or can someone point me in the right direction if not?
"Flying is easy. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Douglas Adams

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Re: Another slow 1/12 MP4/6 build

Post by billgtp »

You seem to. But the most important part is just to have fun building the model.

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

The first thing that struck me was the metal suspension. I had only ever built 2 other 1/12 F1 cars to completion and they were for the most part all plastic. So I set about cleaning up the parts and removing all the tabs and pin marks. Starting with some metal side cutters (although the metal is quite easy to cut I wouldn’t recommend using the usual plastic sprue cutters) I removed the ‘sprue’ and then set about cleaning up by using some 240, 400 and finally 1000 grit wet and dry paper.
susp.png
susp.png (226.26 KiB) Viewed 688 times
I don't recall having to do this 18 years ago when I last picked up a hobby knife!
Douglas Adams

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

Not much time to get more things done but I have managed to get the engine prepped and test fitted the Top Studio replacement suspension parts
Attachments
IMG_3799a.JPG
Douglas Adams

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Have fun!!
I suspect that every f1 modeller plans to have a crack at this kit someday. I know I've doing exactly as you have - planning, dreaming and collecting the odd aftermarket parts along the way....!

Gonzales
F2
F2

Post by Gonzales »

Hi, can you tell me from which aftermarket set the suspension parts come from?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Gonzales
F2
F2

Post by Gonzales »

Another question, are Thunder Valley sets still available from their site?
Tried to contact them some time ago, no response.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

I picked up the TV set a while back - but as far as I know they are available.

The revised suspension parts come from the Top Studio engine detail set
Douglas Adams

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

Wow. Has it really been 5 years????

I have finally resurrected this build, and have made a bit of progress. Quick update - was stuck overseas for pretty much most of 2020 but am back home now. With (hopefully) a fair bit of time on my hands. So let's see how far we get...

1. First thing I wanted to do was to assemble a variety of colours to test for the fluoro red. I think I know which way I'll end up going but let's get back to that and start on the engine
IMG_0002.jpg
2. Fortunately I had a spare engine block - I used that but the result was a disaster and I ended up stripping it all back.
IMG_0003.jpg
3. In the end I was very happy with the gearbox colour - I used Mr Hobby colours for the first time, mixed as per the Tamiya paints, thinned 2:1 and was very impressed
IMG_0005.jpg
4. drilled holes for the various top studio extras and test fit
IMG_E0007.jpg
5. Masked carefully and sprayed the right side of the gearbox, and then added the top studio bling and some RB Motion parts
IMG_E0012.jpg
6. Working with the P/E was a bit of a challenge, but the gear linkage went fairly well. The shock is laid on for now, need to build the tops and finish the colour before securing.
IMG_E0016.jpg
I have been inspired by quite a few of your builds, and hopefully, now that I have a bit more time, there will be a few more updates. Thanks for looking!
Douglas Adams