WIP: 1/20 1993 Adelaide GP grid

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WIP: 1/20 1993 Adelaide GP grid

Post by Jeff »

...let's resurrect this WIP!

I moved house, and set up a work area in the garage.

AMC released the Sauber C12 kit last year, and I also found a second copy of all the kits, so can build the entire 1993 Adelaide GP grid, all 24 cars.

Ferrari F93A - Both Studio27 and Dell Paling released a kit of the Ferrari.

The Dell Paling kit (at the top of the pictures), seems the more accurate one in shape and other details such as panel-lines, naca-ducts etc.

Test fit – Dell Paling kit on the left; it comes with the stepped rear-wing option which Ferrari tried in the practice sessions, but not the race.

On Berger’s car the stepped rear-wing also had a TV camera attached.

The Ferrari’s suede seat is simulated with black chalk-board paint for texture, then it is sprayed with light coats with two shades of tan vinyl dye, one after the other and repeat, until the colour builds up and has a bit of variation to it.

Finally some paint on the S27 F93A kit, 8 years after starting it. (Tamiya TS-26 Pure White). Hopefully some red paint on it in the next update.

Sauber C12 by AMC – you can order directly from Tohru Mishima at AMC in Japan, at amc-models@jcom.home.ne.jp I have ordered from Tohru for many years now, it is always a pleasure.

The AMC kit captures the look and shape of the car really well. But it does require some clean-up, puttying, re-aligning of parts, etc that is typical of multi-media kits.

Body cleaned up, primered and ready for paint, Tamiya TS-14 gloss black from the spraycan.

Rubbing out the orange peel with Tamiya 2000-grit and Micro-Mesh 3200, 3600 & 4000 grit abrasive sheets.

Then some heavier coats of TS-14. It looks shiny in the photo, but there is still some minor orange peel to be rubbed out. I’m happy with how it’s going.

The C12 gearbox was very bulky; this is portrayed well by the kit. When I first saw my photos after having been developed, I was surprised how the Saubers appeared dark-grey in most of the pictures, whereas in person they had appeared jet-black.

Seat has been sprayed with black chalkboard paint, to simulate suede texture. Seatbelt buckles are from the fondly-remembered Perfect Parts range by F1 Specialties.

A little bit more polishing to do, then the decals can go on. The red belts add a dash of colour to the black livery.

Minardi M193 – the kit from AMC depicts the 1st race of the year (Sth Africa GP). But by the time of the Adelaide race, Minardi had two different drivers and many additional sponsors, so I had to create some decals (or download, if available). I will try to print them on my ALPS, or otherwise use Spotmodel printing service.

Decal mockup. Gounon’s car had some personal sponsors who did not appear on Martini’s car, such as Ardeche.

Minardi raced with a stepped rear-wing in Adelaide (but also used a standard wing in the practice sessions). I can use the p/e rear-wing endplate from the Chequered Flag Minardi M193B Monaco GP kit, as it looks to be identical to the Adelaide wing.

Also, the sidepod inlet shape was altered during the year from straight to curved; I’m still deciding whether to do it with plastic card, or sculpt it using milliput epoxy putty. Probably milliput will be sturdier and less fragile.

Grid mock-up – 3 metre long wooden base, it just manages to fit 12 rows of cars. Would have been great to make the grid real-size, but that would probably require 6 metres!
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Great project, nice to see the sauber built up.

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

This is awesome man...

Fast289back
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf
Canada

Post by Fast289back »

Very cool undertaking. I also like the use of chalkboard paint to simulate suede. The results are effective.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Sorry, i'm more impressed with the reel to reel! Does it work? Can you find new reels? I would think original ones would all be dust by now.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Great progress Jeff !

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Wow very cool! What a monster project!.
Golden age of F1 in my opinion.
Looking forward to your progress :)

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looking great Jeff….look forward to seeing a few of these on a table soon.

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

What an ambitious but awesome project Jeff!
Look forward to seeing some more of these at Expo?
I must have been not been far from you in '93 as I have some very similar podium photos😁. Great days, great venue, great memories.
'92 was my first year...havent missed a year since.
Cant wait to see the full grid assembled😀
Cheers. Tim

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

thank you guys :)

Tim & Shayne - I probably won't make it to expo this year :( Cool that you were there at the podium ceremony also, Tim. I remember getting knocked and bumped by the cheering crowd, most of my podium pictures turned out blurry, lol.

Bossy - The reel-to-reel was my late father's, so it's nice to have it there on the workbench. I don't know if it works, I need to find a powerchord for it so I can test it. In meantime I have completed the look by adding some reels to it. The actual tape itself looks in fairly solid condition, but yes could fall apart if I try to play the reels.

I've also been working on the Studio27 Williams FW15C kit, hopefully some more progress pics to show in the next update