WIP: 1/20 1993 Adelaide GP grid

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

WIP: 1/20 1993 Adelaide GP grid

Post by Jeff »

hi guys,

1993 - if you were alive at that time, you would have been putting up with/enjoying grunge music, converting from vinyl records to CD's, throwing out your old Beta videotapes, taking your roll of film to the 1-hour photoshop to be developed, wearing round Harry Potter glasses, and working with a IBM compatible pc with 100MB or so hard disk. And probably paying about 1/2 the price for petrol as you do now :)

1993 was also the year I went to the Adelaide GP with a friend whose colleague was racing in the Porsche Cup support race. We got "support crew" passes which meant we could walk around pitlane during the Porsche races & practice sessions. That was the best F1 experience I've had with lots of good memories :D So a dream theme for me has been to model the 1993 Adelaide GP grid in 1/20 scale (1 car of each team, not both...) It has taken 20 years, but we now have all the kits except for the Sauber, which I believe is in S27's near-future plans. Even if they don't make it, I'll attempt to scratchbuild it by using the 1/18 Minichamps diecast as a guide.

I'm hoping to have some fun with this WIP, including sharing pages of my photoalbum with you as we go along. I haven't decided yet, but will probably start off with one of the simple 1 colour scheme kits, like the Ferrari or Minardi. Stay tuned...

the kits

pulling out the reference materials, part of the fun

photoalbum - good memories

Kit list:
Williams FW15C - S27
Tyrrell 021- AMC Models
Benetton B193 - convert from B192 Tamiya kit
McLaren MP4/8 - Tamiya
Minardi M193 - AMC Models
Larousse LH93 - AMC Models
Ferrari F93A - S27
Footwork Arrows FA14 - AMC Models
Ligier JS39 - ACE Models
Lotus 107 - Tamiya
Jordan 193 - Wolf Models
Lola-BMS - AMC Models (they didn't participate in Japan & Australia GP, so I can leave it out)
Sauber C12 - being planned by S27, hopefully they release it, or else will scratchbuild it
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WIP: 1/20 1993 Adelaide GP grid

Post by drledford93 »

Great idea!

My first memorable GP was Imola '89. I might have to do that one! ;)

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

Hi Jeff,

You finally had the nerve to start this project that we talked about some time ago. I will follow this WIP with great interest.

Best regards,
Lesley
Best regards,
Lesley

joseapetit
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: José
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Michael Schumacher and Nelson Piquet
Brazil

Post by joseapetit »

Great idea! I'm not a Senna fan, but this GP was his last win and last Prost's race, so it's a historical GP.

Good luck!
José Angelo

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

Wow, what a great way to focus, and this should produce spectacular results.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

I wish You all the best. So is this a Speed-Build :wink: ?

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

What a challenge you have set yourself. The photos in your album look great, you were very lucky to get access like that. I look forward to seeing the Tyrrell, I know it wasn't a good car but I always thought it looked great with the needle nose and stubby airbox. Good luck with the build.

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Thanks guys for your comments and interest - the plan for this WIP is to not only show the models, but also to include lots of photos and background stories from that fantastic weekend – hopefully you’ll find it interesting! Here we go…

The warm-up – Geelong Speedtrials
A week prior to the GP, the Geelong speedtrials were held. Unfortunately my friend and I got the timing wrong and got there too late. Nearly everything was packed up, except for the Lotus 79. There was just enough time for a couple of pics, and shortly after, the black beauty was back in the truck. But I still went home happy, having been able to see this legend closeup :)

Larousse LH93 WIP
Well, the joke is on me – I was going to start with a simple 1-colour scheme kit, but there aren’t any :) I forgot that even the Ferrari and Minardi are multi-coloured. So I may as well jump right into it, with the Larousse LH93 from AMC Models. The whitemetal parts are a little rough but the resin body is nice except for two heavy mould lines on each side of the monocoque, which I cleaned up with the aid of thin plastic sheet and superglue. The gearbox piece that comes with the kit is just a rectangular box to hang the rear suspension on; it has no detail or features, so I’ll try to squeeze the unit from my abandoned Leyton House WIP into it. It will need some more adjustment to get it to fit.

plastic card glued into place, just need to fill the small join line with superglue.

trying to squeeze the Leyton House engine/gearbox in

Enough gearbox and driveshaft detail will be visible from the rear to give it a bit of "life" compared to the plain kit gearbox.

The Larousse drivers were Eric Comas and Toshi Suzuki; I got the chance to see Suzuki closeup so will model his car, but without all the damage ;) More updates soon...

Last edited by Jeff on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

b16da9
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by b16da9 »

Very nice.....I will also follow this WIP.

AntPhillips
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by AntPhillips »

Watching with interest
Happy modelling
Ant

'Travelling at the speed of dark since 1965'