Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: Tyrrell P34 mega build up!!

Post by indycals »

Those look fantastic Derek! Even something as small as the little brass highlights add so much to it!

chaparral2k
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Calvin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by chaparral2k »

Wow, nice picture of the cosworth factory. :lol: The only problem I have is they look too real, they dont look like models anymore!

Seriously, they look awesome! :D
Visit my website for many Resin and plastic kits at: https://classicracingresins.com

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

The engines look very real..Well done..Here's another shot from the Tyrrell "barn"..

Alex Nahooy.
Attachments
img279.jpg
img278.jpg

chaparral2k
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Calvin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by chaparral2k »

jordan wrote: Tyrrell "barn"..
Yeah! compared to todays space ship of a F1 factory :lol:
Visit my website for many Resin and plastic kits at: https://classicracingresins.com

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

That looks seriously cool 8)

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Blimey! That looks serious :-)
It's not only the most serious attempt at model mass production i have ever seen ( besides factory built 43rds :-) but you are actually making improvements to the parts on top of that. Looks great so far!
I have a few double or triple builds that i wanna do with different versions of cars and i'm already afraid i will get bored/annoyed with them at some point...but this!!!?? :-) Respect!

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

when I first saw this thread I thought you were kind of nuts (in a good way), but now that I see the progress this actually looks like fun- Out of curiosity, how many engine blocks did uncle Ken go through on the real P34s? I mean there were what, maybe a total of 7 chasis built (plus all the varients that you are doing) so maybe you are building more engines than than the 1:1 car? Good luck- can't wait to see 'em all lined up!

Howard

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!!

Post by Icon_Modeler »

So, I have spent the better part of the last year and a half trying to regain my modeling focus without much success. It seems that I'm happy to plod along on a project and them without any provocation switch to something else. Fortunately at least I have seemed to concentrate my efforts on projects already started and have not lost too much time working on new projects. That said this is a project that was started no less than 11 years ago. It stalled out when I started Icon Automotive Miniatures and I started making resin cast tires. This project is the inspiration for that venture. A lack of detail on the 44 year old, yes, 44 year old Tamiya Cosworth DFV also left me scratching my head as to how to make improvements. That was the reason for setting the project aside so many years ago. Since I started however MFH and their sister company eJan along with RB Motion and Mac at AZRM have come out with more than a few products to address the detail issues that troubled me so much. EJP828 is the detail up set that MFH/eJan created to enhance the Tamiya Lotus 79 a few years ago when it came out. I will be adding this detail set along with the Plug Wires from AZRM and some Banjo Fittings into the fuel system from RB Motion. I actually used this set of detail parts to great effect on my Hasegawa Ferrari 312T build a few years ago. They added so much to the realism of the model. I have started to clean parts up and drill out the holes required to connect the fuel lines no painting yet. Here are some pictures.
EJP828 1-20 DFV DETAIL SET.jpg
IMG_20201213_113414173.jpg
IMG_20201213_113422860.jpg
IMG_20201213_113428575.jpg
1-20 AZRM PLUG WIRES.jpg
RB MOTION 1560 BANJO FITTINGS.jpg
And a pic of my Ferrari 312T Engine
IMG_3666_1_LOW_RES.jpg
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!!

Post by Icon_Modeler »

In addition to working on the fuel injection / ignition for the DFV's of my build I'm looking for reference pictures of the P34 Prototype.

This one:

Looking for pictures under the driver cowling and under the nose. Also trying to figure out if the side pods are removable independent of each other or if they are connected as one like the early 1977 car with one piece body.
Last edited by Icon_Modeler on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Re: Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!

Post by sky1911 »

Cool beans! I love the Fezza block. And on the P34 wow. I was gonna ask how you would address the scale issues of the engine, but then had saw the 1/20 printed on some of the parts in your post that I had to go back to the first page of the thread to check if we're indeed talking 1/20 and not 1/12. But as it is 1/20, I guess the outsized "motorized" DFV engine wasn't an issue.
Nonetheless great stuff!!

In the plane crowd there are a few that believe having more than one kit on the bench is good practice as when you get bored with or hit a dead end with your object of focus you can just as easy move onto another and carry the momentum and return later with a fresh mind. Sort of.
Cheers,
Roman