Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Re: Tyrrell P34 mega build up!!

Post by JM »

Hi Derek, any progress in your big six wheel project?

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

JM wrote:Hi Derek, any progress in your big six wheel project?
Hi JM, You must have ESP, (Extra Sensory Perception). I have just started working on this build again after taking a long time off from it to make the Icon Automotive Minitures rain tires. The rain tires turned into more then I had anticipated but now since sales for the tires has pretty much stopped I have time to get back to the original project. I have been painting the engine blocks and small accessory parts I will try and post some pictures soon.

Thanks for asking,

Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

medihummer
Formula e
Formula e

Post by medihummer »

yes Dereck,

keep us posted please so that we can shut the mouths of our wifes for a while again with your pictures. :lol:

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Update 6/3/10

Proof of Life!!!!

Please find here in proof of life. I am still working on this build, all be it slowly.

First I’d like to make a couple comments.

I started building Tamiya kits nearly from the womb. As a kid even the kits almost built themselves,,,,,,,, or so I thought. Now that I’m older I’m beginning to realize that Tamiya kits are just very well engineered. So much so that you can build them and not have everything in perfect alignment and they still come out looking great. I have come to this conclusion because there are fitment issues with some of the most basic parts that I never noticed as a kid. Now, as an adult builder and having an extensive back ground in 1/1 scale race cars it is much easier to see the short comings of Tamiya kits. Please do not misunderstand. I’m not complaining, just making an observation.

Also I remember as a kid how much easier it was to actually “SEE” the parts and be able to manipulate them. As an adult I find my eyes have lost a little strength and even using a loop or a magnifier I have trouble with the really small parts. I have to really take my hat off to guys like Jaykay who can accomplish the type of build he can. It is mind blowing when you remind yourself of the scale he is working in and how real everything looks. Along with the eyes I also find that I have lost a lot of hand-eye co-ordination as well as the dexterity in my figures has diminished.

Never fear though, I will persevere. Even with all my shortcomings I am very pleased so far with how my build is coming along. This has been a build of many firsts for me as a builder. This is the first time I’ve actually made it to the point that I’m painting parts for a model in nearly 30 years. :o :o :o This is the first time I deliberately tried to achieve a texture when painting. :lol: :lol: :lol: And it is also the first time I’ve used a wash on parts to give them more “feel”.

Anyhow, enough with the talk, here is what I’ve done so far, it’s not much so I hope you guys are not disappointed.

As I said this is the first time I’ve tried to create a texture with paint. This would have been better achieved if I had used an airbrush but that is not an option for me at the moment so I gave it a go with spray cans. The idea was to spray two very light, dry coats of primer on the engine parts to give them a “sand cast” look. After the primer was shot they did look much better then the finished result. I think that maybe when I applied the two light, dry coats of AS-12 even spraying from 14-16 inches away was too close and the coats went on too wet and burned into the primer leveling the nice sand cast look I had going. This is where having the control of an airbrush would have been most beneficial.

I can just hear Lumpy now kicking my butt for the sink marks and ejector pin marks. I know Lump, but they will all be hidden,,,,,, wont they??? :shock: :shock:

As stated I used AS-12 for the engine blocks and the pump units that attach to either side of the engine block due to the finner grain silver it has. Then the parts were all washed with X-19 Smoke mixed 50/50 with X-20A Thinner. Having never done this before I was not really sure what to expect. The desired effect was to give the engines look more depth and not a weathered look. However I think maybe I went a little too far with the wash. After one coat it seemed very uneven so I gave them a second coat. I think it may be a little on the heavy side but I have been told by a very experienced modeler that this will get lost in all the other peripheral details and not to worry too much about it. So I didn’t. I went ahead with picking out some of the details with Model Master 1744 Gold for the bolt heads, 1749 Flat Black for the exhaust & intake flanges and 1790 Chrome Silver for the transfer tubes between the engine block and the pump units and the connecting shafts between the drive and driven sides of each of the pumps. Last I used a little X-23 Clear Blue over some Chrome Silver for the fittings on the oil pump.

Couple of things to note here, the pumps on either side of the engine does not fit properly. They are supposed to line up with the large fitting on the side of the block. On a real Cossy there is a transfer tube between this large fitting and the top inlet of the pump. This is not represented in the Tamiya 1/20th Cosworth, though it is on their 1/12th scale big brother. I refit the pumps on each side to better line up these items. They are not perfect but they are a lot closer then Tamiya would have them out of the box. I also added the transfer tubes made from 1.5mm plastic rod.

Well that’s it for now. Next on my list is to try and come up with a better solution for an Injection Pump then what Tamiya has dreamed up. I want someplace to connect fuel lines to and the Tamiya part leaves so much to be desired. I will also be completing the Cam covers and intake runners.

Until next time, Thanks for looking!!!!

Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Great work - all those blocks sitting there reminds me of Gremlins =)

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

cool!!....great stuff icon :D

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Yes, an 'invading army' of sorts!

Looking fantastic. I think the blocks look really nice!

Habu12
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Habu12 »

Having seen this assembly line in person, I can tell you all it's every bit as herculian as it seems! Hehe.
Looking good Derek, you've come quite a ways since I last saw those engine blocks.
"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well...you can fly very high"-Ayrton Senna

RossiM1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by RossiM1 »

So thats where Cosworth got rid of all the old Ford bits :lol:
Thats one mammoth engine build good luck with the rest.

ATB
Gary

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looks great, love them all sitting there together. Impressive.