Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Tyrrell P34 mega build up!! RESURRECTION!!

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Icon Modeler’s 1/20th scale Tamiya Tyrrell P34 build up.

This is going to be my first WIP on F1M. I’m going to do my own group build :mrgreen: of no less then 15 different versions of the Tyrrell “Six Wheeler”. Sorry this is going to be a little long winded so please bear with me.

Versions planned are as follows:

1) Press Version: From Iritani Models in Brazil. The first look at the car in September 1975 at London’s Heathrow Hotel Press Conference. The Iritani kit uses, to a large extent, the original Tamiya kit as a base.

2) Test / Prototype Version: From Model Factory Hiro in Japan. The kit depicts the version used to carry out the first race of the P34 at Silverstone in the International Trophy. The kit is a full detail metal kit. I will, like Alex (jordan here on F1M) did, use a Tamiya kit as a base kit and only use a few of the Model Factory Hiro pieces needed to depict the version I’m modeling. The motive for this is the same as Alex’s. I want all the cars when finished to look the same relative to each other. I’m afraid that if I build the Hiro version from the box the proportions may be different to the Tamiya kit and I don’t want that.

3) Spainish GP, Depailler: I will use the Tamiya kit for this version. This version will feature a scratch built air box. There will be no nose end plates a shortened front splitter and no splitter straps. I will add the “Gurney” lips along the back edge of the nose.

4) Belgium GP, Scheckter: I will use the Tamiya kit for this version. It will feature a McLaren M23 style rear wing in bare aluminum along with bare aluminum rear wing end plates and nose end plates. It will have a shortened front splitter with splitter straps and I’ll scratch build the funky box style air box. I’ll use the 2nd axle brake ducts from the Tamiya “Moncao” P34. The “Gurney” lips on the nose will come from the Tamiya “Japan” P34 photoetch set. And the large “Gurney” lip on the rear wing will be scratch built.

5, 6) Swedish GP, Team Cars, Both Scheckter and Depailler: I will use the Tamiya kit for this version. Both cars will be built to depict the one, two finsh at the P34’s most successful event. Both cars for this version will be built from the Tamiya “Japanese Release” built OOB without the air box and with the standard rear wing. It will also have the addition of the “Gurney” lips on the rear wings. Jody’s car will have additional cooling slots and a Naca duct in the driver cowl. Both cars will have a front splitter with splitter straps and the “Gurney” lips on the nose will come from the Tamiya “Japan” P34 photoetch set. Patrick’s car will not have “elf” logos on the nose end plates.

7) British GP, Scheckter: I will use the Tamiya “Japan” P34 kit for this version. The build will feature larger then normal side portal windows and no yellow strip on the rear of the drivers cowl. It will have the small “Gurney” lips added to the nose from the photoetch set as well as the splitter and splitter straps. Also I will add a large “Gurney” lip to the rear wing.

8) Austrian GP, Depailler: I will use the Tamiya “Japan” P34 kit for this version. The build will feature the modified press version airbox and Icon Automotive Miniatures 1/20th scale P34 Rain Tires. It will have the small “Gurney” lips added to the nose from the photoetch set as well as the splitter and splitter straps. Also I will add a large “Gurney” lip to the rear wing.

9) Holland GP Scheckter: I will use the Tamiya kit for this version. It will feature a special nose, similar to that of the Test / Prototype car raced at Silverstone in the International Trophy. This version also had no yellow strip on the driver cowl just like the British GP version.

10, 11) Japanese GP Team Cars, Both Scheckter and Depailler: I will use the Tamiya “Japan” P34 kit for this version OOB. I’ll use the 2nd axle brake ducts from the Tamiya “Moncao” P34 as well as Icon Automotive Miniatures 1/20th scale P34 Rain Tires for both cars. I will also modify the rear wing of Scheckter’s car so that it has the twin second element support tabs pointed out by Alex instead of the single support tab as in the kit.

12, 13) Monaco GP '77 Team Cars, Both Peterson and Depailler: I will use the Tamiya “Monaco” P34 kit for this version OOB. . The “Gurney” lips on the nose will come from the Tamiya “Japan” P34 photoetch set. Petersons car will feature a special single element rear wing, a full nose splitter and splitter straps that will come from the Tamiya “Japan” P34 photoetch set. Depailler’s car will also have a full nose splitter and splitter straps that will come from the Tamiya “Japan” P34 photoetch set. Both cars will be on Icon Automotive Miniatures 1/20th scale P34 Rain Tires.

14) USGP West, Long Beach GP 1977, Depailler: Early season trim '77 Full Cowl. This kit is by Model Factory Hiro. I will be using the Tamiya kit as a base to get rid of the heavy solid aluminum chunk MFH included in the kit for the chassis. I hope to be able to build the entire Tamiya kit and fit the Hiro body over it just as was the case for the real car. Hopefully Hiro used the Tamiya kit when developing this kit so that the size and proportions match up, otherwise it will be difficult to mate the Hiro body to the Tamiya kit without extensive modifications.

15) Japanese GP 1977, Peterson: Wide Track '77 Full Cowl. This kit is by Model Factory Hiro. I will be using the Tamiya kit as a base to get rid of the heavy solid aluminum chunk MFH included in the kit for the chassis. I hope to be able to build the entire Tamiya kit and fit the Hiro body over it just as was the case for the real car. Hopefully Hiro used the Tamiya kit when developing this kit so that the size and proportions match up, otherwise it will be difficult to mate the Hiro body to the Tamiya kit without extensive modifications.

The Kits:

I hope you all enjoy my build, here we go!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I added a few more pictures, Thanks John W.!!!!!!

Here we go again!!!!!!!

Icon Modeler
Last edited by Icon_Modeler on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: Tyrrell P34 mega build up!!

Post by Shunter »

Look forward to it, wow that is some reference pics there just for starters.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

totally nuts.

el_modello
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by el_modello »

Hello Icon_Modeler,
Caution at the air box from the MFH Prototype. This is not the correct form.

And the Iritani airbox is too low.

Should look like the air box.

Lg
Kurt

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:totally nuts.
probably right but I love it, can't wait :lol:

Jimz0r
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jimz0r »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:totally nuts.
I concur....he's going to need an entire museum just to store them! :P

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

I love that nose on your build Kurt.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Now that is quite an undertaking :-) I'll follow and hopefully not get lost amongst all those versions :-)

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

You have a big mountain to climb here. Looking forward to see them all finished. What time do you think to have finished them? About Chrismas time? :D :D :D
Good luck and have fun!
Jens

ewaldd
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: ewaldd
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Montoya
Netherlands

Post by ewaldd »

If I had to do this build it would cost me 15 years..........

Keep us posted. Good luck,
Ewaldd