Re: Jean Piere jabouille. ..RIP

Post by tubegenius »

Thanks. :D

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

Another photo of the French F1 drivers of 1980, sadly missing Patrick Depailler, but including a young Alain Prost in his maiden F1 season.
Attachments
school-e1489740634414.jpg

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

Sad news again. The heroes of my youth are becoming older as do we all.
I started following F1 in 1980 and scolling through the drivers of this year 10 are not with us anymore. Vittorio Brambilla, Andrea de Cesaris, Patrick Depailler, Harald Ertl, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Didier Pironi, Clay Regazzoni, Carlos Reutemann, Gilles Villeneuve and Manfred Winkelhock have gone since then. Seven died at accidents of different kinds, three of natural causes. It's to expect the numbers of the latter category will increase rapidly sooner than later.
RIP Big Jean-Pierre.

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

JM wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:26 am Sad news again. The heroes of my youth are becoming older as do we all.
I started following F1 in 1980 and scolling through the drivers of this year 10 are not with us anymore. Vittorio Brambilla, Andrea de Cesaris, Patrick Depailler, Harald Ertl, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Didier Pironi, Clay Regazzoni, Carlos Reutemann, Gilles Villeneuve and Manfred Winkelhock have gone since then. Seven died at accidents of different kinds, three of natural causes. It's to expect the numbers of the latter category will increase rapidly sooner than later.
RIP Big Jean-Pierre.
You can add to your list , recently died : Patrick Tambay and Philippe Streif , Michele Alboreto ( natural causes) and Riccardo Paletti (accident) ... and probably some other guys that I don't remember

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

Actually Michele Alboreto was killed in a testing accident in 2001. He was testing the Audi R8 in preparation for Le Mans.
Patrick Tambay wasn’t in F1 in 1980 because he was racing in the Can-Am series in North America, winning his second title to go with his 1977 championship.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Deep and sensitive post, dear Jens. And good remarks Gilles and ronnie.
Let me add there’s also De Angelis who scored his first podium in 1980. He like Alboreto died in private testing, quite similar accident, an F1 Brabham in this case.
The positive read of this is that, after these eight, the rate decreases dramatically. Racing is safer.
But what we can’t help is that we started following F1 as teenagers and we are middle aged now, 40+ years have passed.
Our heroes keep on vanishing and not even the Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis, is around any more.
As an old member use to say, we’re old as shitt !!

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

It is staggering to think of the talent that was on the F1 grids in the late 70’s-early 80’s, from the front row to the back of the grid. One of the magazines rated the 1978 Austrian GP as the greatest starting grid in F1 history, taking into account the collection of drivers who were, or would become World Champions, and GP winners. And JPJ would line up third behind the two Lotus 79’s, that says a lot about his talent!

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

The same is true in the music world. All my heroes were about 10 years older than me, and they seem to be passing on at a depressing rate. The latest being Christine McVie.

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello,

Sad news again, that was the best time ever for the French connection in F1, sponsor like ELF was helping a lot.

The yellow tea pot will smoke for ever.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu