3D Drawing/Printing Computer/Software advice needed!!

Post away...

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Re: 3D Drawing/Printing Computer/Software advice needed!!

Post by smirkoff »

Sorry, I'm a bit late in this most interesting conversation, I was travelling a bit... looks good, James, congrats!! Looking forward to see the parts printed.

I'm a long time Maya user, actually since the first beta version, because of my job _animation for advertising, TV and movies. So the "Maya way of modelling" is completely embedded in my brain, in such a way that sometimes is difficult to adapt to other programs. Before Maya I used TDI for a long time, which had both nurbs and polygon modelling. I had a good experience with Rhinoceros for a while, a bit of ZBrush too (a software made by aliens...), and lately I've been using Blender more and more to solve some problems where Maya still give me headaches, but all the parts I did and printed so far were started or finished in Maya, using all the tricks possible to get exact measures of a program that wasn't exactly designed for that.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Always try to use the supports on the side that is hidden at the model.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

capri-schorsch wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:28 am Always try to use the supports on the side that is hidden at the model.
Ablsolutely right Christian, i see some troublesome parts when printing in that direction.
Example the rims, standing direction is not good cause you have the supports inside which needed to be sanded after printing, not good cause you can destroy the overall round shape that way, better to print them in laying direction.
The breakdiscs should also be put in an angle on the buildplate, when going in the same direction like the basesurface, it will cause imperfections in the print, i would put them standing in a 25 degree angle on the buildplate. The bigger the falt surface, the better is not to lay it down like the buildplate.
There is allways a lot of thinking when preparing the parts for printing, quiet often you have to choose between economic (direction mostly flat on the buildplate), or going the long way which means a more or less standing direction on the buildplate.
If your looking for a resin printer, the solutions are different to a filament printer. Go for a resin printer as a filament printer shows not such fine details. When this descicion is made, you need to check which way brings the best quality in the direction of the parts.
No one can tell you for sure what works on your printer, they have different problems, so you need to figure out what kind of trouble is going on and how to fix it. This can only be done by printing, sometimes several times to see what it the best option.
Also at beginning it is the best to put as much parts on the buildplate as possible, for example, thry the brake discs in laying position and standing with an angle. You will surely find differences and have to think about what is the best way. The economix way is not allways the best quality, sometimes it is needfull to go the long way with more print time to get the best result.
Take a stand!

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

smirkoff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:34 pm Sorry, I'm a bit late in this most interesting conversation, I was travelling a bit... looks good, James, congrats!! Looking forward to see the parts printed.

I'm a long time Maya user, actually since the first beta version, because of my job _animation for advertising, TV and movies. So the "Maya way of modelling" is completely embedded in my brain, in such a way that sometimes is difficult to adapt to other programs. Before Maya I used TDI for a long time, which had both nurbs and polygon modelling. I had a good experience with Rhinoceros for a while, a bit of ZBrush too (a software made by aliens...), and lately I've been using Blender more and more to solve some problems where Maya still give me headaches, but all the parts I did and printed so far were started or finished in Maya, using all the tricks possible to get exact measures of a program that wasn't exactly designed for that.
Very interesting to read.
There are so many approaches and so many possibilities today but also for a few years.
It's always up to you to decide what you like best and what suits you best.
Greetings Thomas

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

I would also go for Fusion 360 as it is easy to understand and it is a free solution which offers the option to save the drawing direct as STL file.
As far as i have seen lunokhod is also using Fusion on his Red Bull and now the Caterham, i downloaded it also for free and digging my way through it. With all the tutorials around and a community especially for Fusion it is quiet easy to learn.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks again for the input, very useful, and surely for more people. :D
Yes, yes, the orientation :D as you can read on my latest post (well it's on the previous page :wink: ) I had no choice on the parts layout. I suppose my brother in law chose what suited him better to make them all in a single run .
But well, silk purse approach, I'll see practically how the part is better or worse like this. Shame that most of parts are on the unproper angle.
I've just bought a WD SSD disc (how long will we keep calling them discs? :lol: ) and soon Ill see the speed difference.
My recently bought PC had a laptop small HD and that seems to make it slow for what is epected from it...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

OK guys here are the results!! 8)

https://i.postimg.cc/rmSDhWkC/2859-B667-493-E-41-CE-833-B-1-C495186-D67-F.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RV00t2NT/2-A8-C8-ADE-85-FC-4-E33-BF78-89-B9486-D27-FC.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqNnR3Ct/464-BE277-C83-E-4489-8953-2-B7106-D0-BAC0.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cCF4jB5Y/5-D8-B28-F0-B5-EA-4782-9-AFA-692348-D7-B9-BB.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/rsVwQPgM/5-E58055-C-923-D-4-F35-8804-55-D9-C8182486.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3N1dhTWk/6283-BDCB-8184-4-DA0-A3-DC-E24-A5-E37218-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/85V5r56F/73-BF142-F-C60-C-4-DA5-9874-1-FD5-EF4912-C5.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/L4DXnm6X/94-EBE89-F-8716-4-A5-F-B2-D6-398-B6042745-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3RCwjTXt/A3968-C15-35-AB-496-D-A43-C-2-C26966-DD009.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8Pnzmwvg/E62-C1-FF4-4363-41-EA-A1-D2-7-F278-E0-A3-C1-B.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hjrhgDhG/5-D4-B7-F3-D-4-BF3-4-D48-808-C-9-C7-E9-E602-BAE.jpg

Yes some parts show the shortcomings of the positioning chosen :wink:
But honestly I am particularly happy with how the 037 rims and the 5 spoke F1 rim look despite being printed with axis paralel to ground". That's good.
Yes the brake discs will probably work better in an inclined position so I can get rid of the Mexican hat effect.
Anyway, JS11 front brakes anyone? :lol: it really does look fine!
BR
James

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

SLOW DONW FANGIO!
That looks good, you just went "from how do I drive", to "Look at my trophies" really fast.
Nice work!
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks mate :D
Well, that just shows how good works the help that’s given in this great group :D

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

smirkoff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:34 pm Sorry, I'm a bit late in this most interesting conversation, I was travelling a bit... looks good, James, congrats!! (...) a bit of ZBrush too (a software made by aliens...),
Thanks Marcos, you are undoubtedly one of the voices to listen!! :D nevertheless you´ll have to give more detail about the alien connection! :lol:
gp-models wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 am Ablsolutely right Christian, i see some troublesome parts when printing in that direction.
Oh well, so many details to think about, thanks for the contribution! :D I´ll go by parts...
gp-models wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 amExample the rims, standing direction is not good cause you have the supports inside which needed to be sanded after printing, not good cause you can destroy the overall round shape that way, better to print them in laying direction.
Yes, that looked logical, but I could not choose that :wink: I´ll ask less stuff next time :D so I can say "please, put it in THAT position"
gp-models wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 am The breakdiscs should also be put in an angle on the buildplate, when going in the same direction like the basesurface, it will cause imperfections in the print, i would put them standing in a 25 degree angle on the buildplate. The bigger the falt surface, the better is not to lay it down like the buildplate.
Do you mean some ondulations? because that´s the most obvious deffect. I also have some "mexican hat base" shape that makes the Indycar brakes unusable. I´ll try to convince the printer man to do so. You know... family, you are asking a favor, you gotta be polite! I mean me!
gp-models wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 am There is allways a lot of thinking when preparing the parts for printing, quiet often you have to choose between economic (direction mostly flat on the buildplate), or going the long way which means a more or less standing direction on the buildplate.
If your looking for a resin printer, the solutions are different to a filament printer. Go for a resin printer as a filament printer shows not such fine details. When this descicion is made, you need to check which way brings the best quality in the direction of the parts.
Yes,that´s an absolute no brainer, I´ll go for a resin one, much probably the same you see samples of. I´m considering if I might go a bit higher on quality/size. When I can, I´ll post the printer exact model so you eperienced guys can rate it.
gp-models wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 am No one can tell you for sure what works on your printer, they have different problems, so you need to figure out what kind of trouble is going on and how to fix it. This can only be done by printing, sometimes several times to see what it the best option.
Yes, once I have my own one, experiencing will be easier! :roll: :D
gp-models wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 am Also at beginning it is the best to put as much parts on the buildplate as possible, for example, thry the brake discs in laying position and standing with an angle. You will surely find differences and have to think about what is the best way. The economix way is not allways the best quality, sometimes it is needfull to go the long way with more print time to get the best result.
Yes, there´s nothing as the direct comparison. That´s my goal.
I´ll give more details as soon as I have them. But as a first experience, it´s great and opens up a whole world as on its day ALPS printer or resin casting did.
Ah!what I´ve done it´s really easy, all geometrical simple shapes, complication comes when you have to make a complex body shape. I considered doing the famous FW07B mirrors but let it go as I can´t see me still able.
BR and thanks again
James