3D Drawing/Printing Computer/Software advice needed!!

Post away...

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Re: 3D Drawing/Printing Computer/Software advice needed!!

Post by Grypham »

Wow! What a great thread. I've learnt a great deal in just 4 pages. Thanks to all who have contributed. I've just taken delivery of my first printer (Phrozen Mini 8K) and am in the process of building a dedicated computer for the hobby room. There will be a refresher needed as I haven't touched 3D software for about 10 years now. I can see how much thought (and trial and error) has to be put into placing items on the build plate. I would love to see some examples from the resident pros here on different angles and supports used on items such as rims, brake rotors, and so forth.

Again, Thanks to all!

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Grypham wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:38 am Wow! What a great thread. I've learnt a great deal in just 4 pages. Thanks to all who have contributed. I've just taken delivery of my first printer (Phrozen Mini 8K) and am in the process of building a dedicated computer for the hobby room. There will be a refresher needed as I haven't touched 3D software for about 10 years now. I can see how much thought (and trial and error) has to be put into placing items on the build plate. I would love to see some examples from the resident pros here on different angles and supports used on items such as rims, brake rotors, and so forth.

Again, Thanks to all!
Quite interesting, your fist steps will be sooo useful to be wtached :D
And now, YES; IMPORTANT: LET's MOVE TO THE NEXT LEVEL :D

Would veterans (and veterans-on-the-making) oblige showing SOME TRICKY PARTS and the PRINTER MODEL they were made with? you know, the type of thing, "I have this printer and it's able to print such impressive parts", because there are so many vailable, prices go up un down (the one my in-law owns is now like 50% costier than it was back then, it must have been a flash offer...) and we'd like to see if somethig that is available is proven material.
I mean, we've seen Thomas (aka steinetrabi) amazing seat belt buckles... what more are you proud of, guys? :D 8)
As usual, thanks A LOT in advance!

PS.
I´ve seen that those...
Anycubic Photon Mono 4K,
Halot One CL-60,
Elegoo Mars 2 Pro

Are the typicall within an economic-beginner bracket. Any inputs? :wink:

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

I always would go again with Elegoo.
I have now a Mars 2 Pro and 3 Elegoo Saturn printers here.
Only one of them was bought new. The others are from the German Elegoo Support guy who sells used ones and show objects for half the price
Now I got some issues with the full priced Saturn. I needed the Elegoo Support and they sent me 2 Mainboards for free. First one did not fix the problem and second one also not. So I installed a new LCD screen which also not fixed the problem. Today I received a brand new printer from their Amazon warehouse.
That's what I call a good customer service.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

capri-schorsch wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:46 am I always would go again with Elegoo.
I have now a Mars 2 Pro and 3 Elegoo Saturn printers here.
Only one of them was bought new. The others are from the German Elegoo Support guy who sells used ones and show objects for half the price
Now I got some issues with the full priced Saturn. I needed the Elegoo Support and they sent me 2 Mainboards for free. First one did not fix the problem and second one also not. So I installed a new LCD screen which also not fixed the problem. Today I received a brand new printer from their Amazon warehouse.
That's what I call a good customer service.
THanks Christian, quite valuable experience! :D now if yoou can pas sa link to the "German Elegoo Support guy"... :wink:

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Anycubic just announced a new lineup of printers, and is selling their existing lineup, such as the mono 4k at a discount.
I am half tempted myself.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Regarding the printers I would also like to add a question and hope it is not a stupid one:

I know from inkjet printers that the ink might dry in the printer head if the printer isn't used for a longer period of time.
Are there similar issues with 3D printers? How frequently should they be used to keep them functional?

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

There must be no fear about it. The resin is only in the tank. You can leave it for 2 weeks or longer in the tank. You only have to drill it carefully before the next print.
Or you use a filter and fill it back into the open bottle.
Easy!

@James here is there eBay site from him
https://ebay.de/usr/osce-service

But you also can buy the new printer i received today?
I decided that 3 printers are enough and a 4th was overkill. 😉😉

@BMW: Anycubic is really a good manufacturer of printers and stuff. But search for the aftersales service they offer and you will not find many good words about Anycubic. I am very pleased with Elegoo
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Steffen_T wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:46 pm Regarding the printers I would also like to add a question and hope it is not a stupid one:

I know from inkjet printers that the ink might dry in the printer head if the printer isn't used for a longer period of time.
Are there similar issues with 3D printers? How frequently should they be used to keep them functional?
AhaI think that I can answer this one :lol: and not because I am a seasoned vet, since I learnt that two days ago!! :lol: :lol:
Unlike what you (and sincerely me) might think, theres not a complicated injector adding small micro drops of resin, but it´s the light, a laser ray or maybe a Sith blast that makes the resin cure and add on to the already printed volume, while it´s plunged inside the liquid resin recipient. So no complicated micro tubes where the liquid resin passes and might harden.
And if that´s a stupid explanation (either for wrong, unnecessary or both) sorry!! :lol: :D

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

OK, guys, let's not let this thread slow down! :D
I have QUITE interesting updates.
I grabbed Christians great and kind offer and released him from one of his Elegoo Saturns :D 8)
Gotta say, smooth transaction, kind attention, perfect and fast and safe packaging and... printer already home! Its qquite exciting I must say. Cant wait to receive the resin and start printing.
Meanwhile, some design work....

I just made a Brabham BT56...

https://i.postimg.cc/sDzKMLLd/screen0.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/c4chwmqK/screen1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/2S8wwZm0/screen2.jpg

Still uncomplete, but reaching this by hand would take much longer.
Surely it's much faster to have a rough shape with which I can put the last details by hand. I can think of lots of cars where this approach will save me hundreds of hours of cutting, glueing, sanding...
But once I manage to do a good finish with the computer, being able to make the parts at three scales is really tempting! 8)
Hmm... BT56 at 1/12 anyone?
8)
Stay tuned!

ziggy
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ziggy »

Wowowow!!!! James, this is absolutely fantastic! :shock: :D :D :D
when I see that a true artisan of putty and plastic like you is discovering (and seeing the infinite possibilities of 3D printing), I realize that our beloved hobby is really changing ...
and to be honest, I personally don't know if I like it because I spend all day working with 2D and 3D programs for work and when I get home I need to 100% disconnect from them ....
in any case, it is clear that this is no longer a future but a very real present.

in any case, you are advancing very fast and very firmly and I can't wait to see the first results!
Felicitats!!!!!!!