daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Fluo or bright red?

Post by daniel »

indycals wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:25 pm
daniel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:35 am Don't know if this is the correct car or if it is restored/repainted but it doesn't look fluo at all !!

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/al ... 980/684199
It's restored. Never trust a restored car.
I hope they didn't took the wrong color when restoring the car. I think they did a little research like people painitng a modelkit ;)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Just for fun, a Warhol M26
Attachments
1650403573787_20220419_142349_resized.jpg

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I don’t hope on past facts... they’ve already happen. There’s more than enough hemerotheque of unaccurate restorations... and models 8) probably someone warned them too but they wouldn’t listen :lol: :lol: I surrender :lol:
Ps lots of classic F1 racers are quite incorrectly painted
https://retroracecars.com/classic-f1-ca ... neuve-car/

and let alone WW2 tanks in museums, something that also grinds my gears... but it does happen

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

daniel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:22 pm
indycals wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:25 pm
daniel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:35 am Don't know if this is the correct car or if it is restored/repainted but it doesn't look fluo at all !!

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/al ... 980/684199
It's restored. Never trust a restored car.
I hope they didn't took the wrong color when restoring the car. I think they did a little research like people painitng a modelkit ;)
I've seen some horrible restorations. Even one of the Indy 500 winning smoking cowboy cars was restored in regular red at one point. The only restoration shops I put any faith in are Walt Goodwin - he does Indy cars, and Classic Team Lotus - I've worked with Clive Chapman and I know what a stickler for period accuracy he is.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

bossy122 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:14 pm I was looking at my Schmegelmilch 80 - 89 book and a point I made earlier was obvious: the colors were dramaticly different in each shot. Not arguing which color is which, just restating that pics from that era can be iffy. (And Andretti drove for Alfa in 81.....on another point).
But the time a photo gets to print in a book - it's already 5th generation: 1st - actual car, 2nd - captured on neg, 3rd - print from neg, 4th - converted to CMYK plates for printing - 5th - printed. In my line of worked I've examined hundreds of thousands of images and you have to learn how to read them to discern what the actual color was, even with black and white photos, which can be a great tool in determining color believe it or not. The more reference you have of a certain car, the more data there is to interpolate. Things like lighting conditions, angle of photography in relation to light source, and exposure settings (just right? Under exposed? over exposed?) etc all can affect the color. and of course the CMYK gamut is VERY limited. It also helps to know which colors simply don't photograph well. Even with digital some colors are a nightmare to accurately capture. Blues are challenging as are fluorescent and nearly fluorescent colors. Felix Rosenquist's McLaren this year is one of the most gorgeous liveries I've ever seen, but it's a bitch to photograph.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Here's what I'm talking about - the top is a close approximation to what Felix's car looks like (still doesn't do the car justice) bottom is how it hits the camera.
Attachments
felix.jpg

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

The "best" way (which still is poor) to judge colors in an old photograph, is to compare it with other colors in the same shot.
Comparing, for instance, the Alfas and the Mclarens in Schlegelmilch's "Grand Prix" book or the recent "Alfa Romeo & Formula 1" by Enrico Mapeli" indicates they were painted in the same color.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

Thanks guys. I went with Ral3024 fluo red, but had to strip the paint. I had a bit of a mis with shooting the Zero Paints Ral3024. When i sprayed the underside the overspray landed on the upperside of the car and caused that the surface got very grainy. I tried to sand it out, bit it was rock solid and didn’t work. So stripped the body with non acetone nailpolish remover and started all over again. Just need to figure out how the prevent the overspray. Maybe i will lower the pressure from 28 to 14 psi
Best regards,
Lesley