AUDI and Porsche to join F1

Post away...

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

AUDI and Porsche to join F1

Post by gp-models »

VW has given green light for AUDI and Porsche to run F1 depending on the new Engine regulations coming up in 2026.
As i read it is not 100% sure as they will wait how the regulation will be but AUDI seems to have an interest in Mclaren and Porsche might join with Red Bull.
In the past there has been quiet often speculations if VW is joining F1, so lets see if it becomes real this time. Only thing i wonder is why they want to support 2 different teams.
Take a stand!

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Re: AUDI and Porsche to join F1

Post by Orso »

The VW group should let Bentley do F1. With the size of modern F1 cars it would be in the tradition of Bentley. After all they were called the fastest lorries in the world. :)

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

At first, I thought Volkswagen may use either Audio or Porsche name to get into F1. Now it looks like that VW really wants to dominate F1. VW has an operating profit of 2.5B Euro for 2021. This is a much more mighty company than Ferrari, Mercedes or Renault. With two brands, they will have more chances for success.
C K
Canada

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

They all have the same budget cap to follow. Before, I might agree. Now, it seems more level. If anything, it may take some time to get there, like Honda. Maybe not as long. It’s never as easy as it sounds. Ask BMW and Toyota.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

So VW the "greenest" German car company wants to join formula one?
The same company who only want to build electric cars up from 2033?
That makes no sense to me. Another major label who pull the trigger on the engagement as soon as the wind change.
Today it's formula one. Tomorrow it's riding a bicycle.
I don't think that formula one needs VW. Don't matter if they put a Audi or Porsche sticker on the engine. VW has no tradition in bigger Motorsport categories. I can remember how fast they closed there Motorsport facilities after they where gone to formula e. They closed a WRC multiples championship team from one day to the other because of energy political green correctness.
And then same company will join now formula one with fuel powered cars? Even e-fuels are banned in Germany. And now they make F1?
It's a massive joke for me. They didn't pay car owners here in Germany who bought the famous illegal diesel cars.
The CEO will pull the trigger when the results are not what he expected.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Daveporschephile
F2
F2

Post by Daveporschephile »

I really think they should stay away from F1. Although Porsche has been there on and off sportscars are their core. Just a money hole.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

As capri wrote, I don't know if this is such a good idea.

Manufacturers hate to lose to another manufacturer, and if VW goes in, they will try to steer the powerplant development into their corporate direction.
The reason we have 1.6l turbos with hybrids, is because the major manufacturers wanted it, but because the independent teams wanted it. The teams wanted cheap engines like the 2.4l V8s, but the manufacturers wanted the hugely expensive hybrids for their own marketing.
Only but for Ferrari demanding V6 or more do we not have in-line 4 cylinder engines.

For manufacturers, a spec series makes sense.

I think they should go somewhere else, and let the privateers in F1.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

capri-schorsch wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:36 am So VW the "greenest" German car company wants to join formula one?
That makes no sense to me. Another major label who pull the trigger on the engagement as soon as the wind change.
I don't think that formula one needs VW. Don't matter if they put a Audi or Porsche sticker on the engine. VW has no tradition in bigger Motorsport categories. I can remember how fast they closed there Motorsport facilities after they where gone to formula e. They closed a WRC multiples championship team from one day to the other because of energy political green correctness.
And then same company will join now formula one with fuel powered cars? Even e-fuels are banned in Germany. And now they make F1?
It's a massive joke for me. They didn't pay car owners here in Germany who bought the famous illegal diesel cars.
I totally agree. They want to stop producing combustion engines in the not too far future and want to waste money for Formula 1 at the same time? Ridiculous.
They first shold compensate all the customers they cheated with their fraud software some years ago befor sinking money in a dying sport.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

The world can’t produce enough lithium, cobalt and nickel for everybody to stop making combustion engines in the near future. So that I feel is some years away. Then there is Formula E. It’s ok to watch, but honestly, the cars are kinda ugly, they would like crap and while the racing is decent, it’s slow. It there are 5 races on Sunday and FE is one of them, I’ll watch 4 and clean out the fridge.

Then there is the past controversy. We have an ID4. We love it and as a result of the dieselgate mess here in the US, they had to provide us free fuel at stations throughout the US for 3 years. I don’t use it that often, but it’s there.

And finally, how do you say no to Porsche and Audi? You don’t. You count the days till 2026. It’s going to be a great show. The days of privateers are over. This is big business and show business. But the racing is better now than it’s been in decades with the budget cap and new cars. Maybe now the teams can stay solvent and even grow outside of F1, like McLaren has in IndyCar.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

JM wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:33 am
capri-schorsch wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:36 am So VW the "greenest" German car company wants to join formula one?
I totally agree. They want to stop producing combustion engines in the not too far future and want to waste money for Formula 1 at the same time? Ridiculous.
They first shold compensate all the customers they cheated with their fraud software some years ago befor sinking money in a dying sport.
I'm pretty sure they did do that a while ago. My friend got his Diesel Passat paid for because it only had 50k miles on it.