Post away...

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: F1 Russia should be cancelled

Post by tubegenius »

indycals wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 pm I had emailed Liberty as well. That more than 24 hours has gone by and they are avoiding the subject is very bad optics. I'm sorry that one of our Russian members felt the need to depart - I think we all realize that the actions of a mad man is not reflective of the Russian people, but it's also sad that he can't see that this is far more than 'politics'.
+1 No one is disrespecting the Russian people. Hopefully, he will realize this, and eventually return. We need you, my friend, you are one of the best.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

stubeck wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 am It hasn't fully been canceled. The wording is very specific to say that "under current circumstances the race can't take place". That is not a cancellation. I was hoping for a more specifically worded statement stating the race would not take place this year because of current events. If Russia pulls out, by definition "current circumstances" would not be taking place, and the race would likely be back on. That is not right. Like Qatar and Saudi Arabia, if the race takes place this year, I will not be watching.
This. It was something, but it was literally the least they could do short of nothing.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

tubegenius wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:41 am
indycals wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 pm I had emailed Liberty as well. That more than 24 hours has gone by and they are avoiding the subject is very bad optics. I'm sorry that one of our Russian members felt the need to depart - I think we all realize that the actions of a mad man is not reflective of the Russian people, but it's also sad that he can't see that this is far more than 'politics'.
+1 No one is disrespecting the Russian people. Hopefully, he will realize this, and eventually return. We need you, my friend, you are one of the best.
This has happened from time to time. I hope they come back as well. We had one post on the president in the last two administrations and people have had similar knee jerk reactions to say it is totally unacceptable...I think we are all human and while it shouldn't be a constant topic, some base discussion is allowed.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

stubeck wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 am It hasn't fully been canceled. The wording is very specific to say that "under current circumstances the race can't take place". That is not a cancellation. I was hoping for a more specifically worded statement stating the race would not take place this year because of current events. If Russia pulls out, by definition "current circumstances" would not be taking place, and the race would likely be back on. That is not right. Like Qatar and Saudi Arabia, if the race takes place this year, I will not be watching.
That is a very interesting point. We could think that the "if" hopes to show some intention to change "the current circumstancies" maybe overassuming :roll: the ability of influence. I agree that such things deserve a "no way, you´re banned at least for a year" but well let´s think they do it with good intention.
Though F1 is known to have swallowed their dignity before, right? :( :cry:

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I wonder, if somehow the race weren't cancelled, how many teams would show up? The teams still should have the power to stay home.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

The drivers can just vote not to race. Its rare, but if the top two drivers stand up - what are they gonna do?

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Given that Russia has, I believe, banned UK airlines from Russian airspace a lot of teams would surely struggle to actually get into the country anyway.
Absolutely the right thing to do.

Roncla
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Post by Roncla »

it's official. Russian GP cancelled
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/moder ... cancelled/

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

No, it does not. It says the race cannot be held under the current circumstances - if those change, then...

Weasel words from F1 as usual.

DrE
Roncla wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:24 pm it's official. Russian GP cancelled
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/moder ... cancelled/

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

It reminds me of certain guy who, facing corrruption accusations said “ it’s all false... but for a few things “ :( that yes but.... feeling