F1 Russia should be cancelled

Post away...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: F1 Russia should be cancelled

Post by JamesB »

Yes, war is a far cry from politics.
Anyway, politics is about administrating people´s and countries´ matters. It´s too frequent that people use the "political" adjective as a bad thing. There´s a journalist here that uses to say that politics is not bad at all: in fact it´s the best we've invented to solve things, because the alternative we've historically used is killing us each other. And that's war.
Politics for me is synonymous of democracy. Otherwise it's not politics. War and dictatorships are crime, and every civilized and reasonable person should be against them, and tell them apart from politics.
One thing is being fond of this or that political party (and people get sometimes too passionate about it so it's reasonable to avoid those topics on forums about something else) but we should not get upset for fellows condemning war, rather for the opposite.

PS:
tubegenius wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:55 pm Who has the authority to cancel and move the race? Liberty, FIA, or F-1?
Any of them, if not the authority, the practical chance, my friend. by F-1 (officially Liberty is F1) I assume you mean the body of it: teams, drivers... if any of those, ruling board (FIA), corporate power (Liberty) or workforce (F1) say NO, it'll be NO. And surely they should.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

F1 doesn't care about politics.
It has been that way, and it will probably forever stay that way.
However, politics care about F1!
I am sure we will see a cancellation of the race, once there is some pressure from politicians and the public.
It makes a huge difference for your future relation with your Russian business-partner if you cancel the event on your own, or with some political and public pressure in your back.
So if you want to find out about the true colours of the Formula 1 management:
Watch their timing!

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

JamesB wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:30 am There´s a journalist here that uses to say that politics is not bad at all: in fact it´s the best we've invented to solve things, because the alternative we've historically used is killing us each other. And that's war.
Politics for me is synonymous of democracy. Otherwise it's not politics. War and dictatorships are crime, and every civilized and reasonable person should be against them, and tell them apart from politics.
Great summation!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

indycals wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:34 am
Great summation!
Thanks Michael :)
Steffen you are right, they’ll show their true face, and it’d be a great chance to surprise us in the good way but... :roll:

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

JamesB wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:30 am Yes, war is a far cry from politics.
Anyway, politics is about administrating people´s and countries´ matters. It´s too frequent that people use the "political" adjective as a bad thing. There´s a journalist here that uses to say that politics is not bad at all: in fact it´s the best we've invented to solve things, because the alternative we've historically used is killing us each other. And that's war.
One thing is being fond of this or that political party (and people get sometimes too passionate about it so it's reasonable to avoid those topics on forums about something else) but we should not get upset for fellows condemning war, rather for the opposite.

PS:
tubegenius wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:55 pm Who has the authority to cancel and move the race? Liberty, FIA, or F-1?
Any of them, if not the authority, the practical chance, my friend. by F-1 (officially Liberty is F1) I assume you mean the body of it: teams, drivers... if any of those, ruling board (FIA), corporate power (Liberty) or workforce (F1) say NO, it'll be NO. And surely they should.
Yes, well said!
Any of the above has the power to stop the race from going ahead. The drivers can say no, the teams can say no and Liberty / FIA can say no. All it takes is for one of them to stand up.

I hope they cancel it. There is nothing excusable about any of Russias actions.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

PTR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams & Ligier
United States of America

Post by PTR »

UEFA has moved cup finals from St. Petersburg already in an emergency meeting yesterday. F1 should step up now not wait until race week!

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

I expected it would take longer.
I am surprised.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Good! There’s hope. UEFA action seems to have helped.
Anyway the elephant is still in the room

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

It hasn't fully been canceled. The wording is very specific to say that "under current circumstances the race can't take place". That is not a cancellation. I was hoping for a more specifically worded statement stating the race would not take place this year because of current events. If Russia pulls out, by definition "current circumstances" would not be taking place, and the race would likely be back on. That is not right. Like Qatar and Saudi Arabia, if the race takes place this year, I will not be watching.