Post away...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: F1 Russia should be cancelled

Post by stubeck »

The race was actually canceled a few days ago, and today their contract was ripped up as well so future races won't take part there under the previous agreements.

Reutemann
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Karel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Alonso
Czech Republic

Post by Reutemann »

As there are few russian members in forum, I am curious how do you, guys, jugde currect invasion in Ukraine from russian troops?
I am deeply shocked and frustrated by this brutal unfair war triggered by insane Putin.
Just to be clear, I am from Czech Republic, our history has lot of experience with russian invasion.
Right now, all countries close to Ukraine (Poland, Czech, Slovak...) are helping with flood of poor refugees (kids, women...) coming out of hell... :)
I am really angry, so sorry I need to get some steam out of my head....

Topic author
cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I have some some postings about why is Europe and so on so upset about Ukraine but were fine with various other wrongs whether it be the U.S. actions in Iraq or pick other things that have happened in recent years. I am an American, however I do not believe in American exceptionalism or that the U.S. is special. Such beliefs are hubris at best. But this is the first time that a European nation has invaded another especially one that has legally recognized the soverignty of the other and in fact guaranteed the security of the other party. These things happened when Ukraine agreed to give up their Nuclear arsenal and turn them over to Russia. It is extraordinary and unbelievably dangerous. As I write this, Russian soldiers have shown the gross stupidity to directly attack a Nuclear plant. It also reflects an assumption that Russia can just keep escalating their behavior and the rest of the world will be okay with it. However now when you look at Putins own comments regarding Germany and that East German properly belongs in the Russian sphere of influence it puts paid to the idea we can let Russia keep being Russia. We either have to stand up now or we will see Russia come westward into Poland the other former Russian satellite states and ultimately into Germany. I know some may consider my post political, it really is not, Putin is doing exactly what he has said he was going to do. We are beyond political just read Von Klauswitz quote war is beyond politics. Politics in many regards and political comment are in lieu of war. We are in a state of war. I hope it does not get worse but we must make it as costly as possible to Russia less they choose to keep making things worse. With luck we can confine the military conflict and use economic, political and all other means of global pressure to make it impossible for Russia to continue this conflict.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I pretty much concur with all you said CBK. Also when the US went into other countries - regardless of whether it was justified or not - there was really no chance of global escalation into world war or nuclear war. We were NEVER going to use nukes first. I can easily see this escalating into either, and with China just sitting back and munching on popcorn I think they would see an escalation as sufficient diversion for them to attack Taiwan. And before you know it, it's WWIII.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Most Russian modellers i have connected with over the years - either here or in other ‘genres’ have gone to ground, so the trolls are the only voices. I too am curious if the putin ‘message’ is accepted by the silent majority. Impossible to know.
A very sad situation.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Well, you could knock me over with a feather... I got an order from Russia today. First-time customer no less.

Topic author
cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

indycals wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:16 pm Well, you could knock me over with a feather... I got an order from Russia today. First-time customer no less.
Did your customer happen to order a sheet with an blue and yellow paint scheme? Any good news.

Most news sources are being cut off in Russia, including facebook and everything else. I wonder if we could get away with supplying information to people who are interested through this forum, we might have to be discreet in our moderation and oblique in our discussion. If we are visible there we might be able to fly under the radar.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I think the RT is still reporting biased news in Russia, but it is blocked in the west. The western media is also giving biased news reports and most are blocked in Russia. If in 1994 Bill Clinton had not signed an agreement to remove all of the nukes from the Ukraine and give them back to Russia this would most likely not have happened.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

cbk57 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:29 am
indycals wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:16 pm Well, you could knock me over with a feather... I got an order from Russia today. First-time customer no less.
Did your customer happen to order a sheet with an blue and yellow paint scheme? Any good news.

Most news sources are being cut off in Russia, including facebook and everything else. I wonder if we could get away with supplying information to people who are interested through this forum, we might have to be discreet in our moderation and oblique in our discussion. If we are visible there we might be able to fly under the radar.
No - nothing blue and yellow, but nothing white, blue and red either;-) I was surprised he was able to get a payment through but he used Amazon Pay (vs PayPal or direct credit card) I did include a positive, but non-political message of friendship between our people. Up until now I did get enough orders from Russia that I had my standard emails professionally translated into Russian. Those who I communicated with had a love for auto racing and model building that we all share.