daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Dale King

Post by daves »

Master Modeler and close friend Dale King passed away today. I have know Dale for 20 years. He was and inspiration to me. I learned a lot from him. He was always very open on sharing any of the modeling techniques he had developed over the years.
He made his talent look so easy, it wasn't. He would take the most basic kit and turn it into a museum masterpiece. I was fortunate to be able to spend time with him on my visits to SoCal. His booming voice and laugh will be dearly missed.

Dave

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: Dale King

Post by lezdep »

Sad news. RIP

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

I didn't know Dale King, but I am sorry for the loss of your good friend. Good inspiration, good guy. We are all getting older in this thing together, enjoy every friend, foe and acquantience that you meet in life.

RIP Dale.

Topic author
daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by daves »

I did not mention that Dale was named the Tamiya Master Modeler of the year and was awarded a trip to the factory in Shizuoka Japan.

Dave

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Oh this is terrible news. Dale is very well known among the western US modeling community (elsewhere also obviously) and he has always been a great person to know. I'm really sorry for your loss Dave as well as the others of us who have met or known Dale personally.

dmarek
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Dave Marek
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda of course
James Hunt
United States of America

Post by dmarek »

Very sorry to hear this...He was always inspirational and so kind

Topic author
daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by daves »

Rennsport Daytona 2007
Dave-&-Dale.jpg

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Sorry to learn of his passing. Sincere condolences for the loss of your friend.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Shocked, would be an understatement when I received a message today from Nikki, Dale's daughter that he had passed this morning. He passed at home thankfully and not laid up in a hospital somewhere. His loving and devoted wife by his side.

Dale will be hugely missed by the southern Californian modelers who were lucky enough to have met him.

Dale was a graduate of Pasadena’s Art Center college. After graduating from Art Center, he spent one tour in Vietnam. Though he would forever down play his roll in the service saying only that he drew maps for General Westmorland. Dale was a very accomplished illustrator running his own firm for many years. Illustration must have run in the King family, Dale’s dad was the head illustrator at Walt Disney Studios for years. He also did a lot of work for the Mattel Toy company specifically on Hotwheels. Dale would build 1/24th scale prototypes of potential new releases so that the big wigs at Mattel could evaluate new products before production. I met Dale in the 70's at what was then the largest Model and trade show on the west coast of the USA, The Mac's Show. I was 13 or 14. Dale was always willing to share and give the most sound practical advice.

1/12th scale was the scale Dale liked best. He also preferred sports cars and of those he preferred Porsche sports cars. Even though Dale's scale of choice was 1/12th scale, that didn't keep him from building in many scales. He also loved 1/43rd scale and had a complete LeMans winners collection going back to nearly the beginning of time. He also had quite a collection of 1/24th scale sports cars. Dale did not discriminate and he built models from almost every genera of the hobby industry except for trains and ships. He loved to build Tamiya motorcycle models as a transition from one big project to the next. He told me he found them very fun and usually did then straight from the box. Dale built armor kits in much the same way as motorcycles as filler or transition builds. He preferred to concentrate on 1/12th Porsche models.

Over the years Dale and I had spent countless hours at model club meetings together which usually started out with dinner beforehand. I will treasure those memories. Last time I saw Dale was toward the end of last summer when I had organized a meeting of our old club members for a lunch gathering. The meeting was specifically organized because Dale had been suffering the last few years with different ailments and well you never do know when your time is up. I'm happy now that we were able to meet and spend one last meal together. My only regret is that when I tried to plan another meeting just a month or so ago Dale was unable to find the time through his many Dr. visits.

I will deeply miss my friend Dale W. King!! Rest in peace my friend!!!

Pictured are some of Dale's many works!!

Dale-King-Completely-Scratc.jpg
Dale-King-Red-Bull-RB8.jpg
Dale-King-Lotus-11-Plans.jpg
Dale-King-Lotus-11-Plans.jpg (9.95 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Dale-King-1-12-Tamiya-Bikes.jpg
Dale-King-Interscope-935.jpg
Dale-King-43rd-LeMans-Colle.jpg
Last edited by Icon_Modeler on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Dale-King-908-2LH-Plans.jpg
Dale-King-908-2LH-Rough-Bod.jpg
Dale-King-908-2LH-Raw-Body.jpg
Dale-King-908-2LH-Raw-Body.jpg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Dale-King-908-2LH-Body-Prim.jpg
Dale-King-908-2LH-Body-2.jpg
Dale-King-908-2LH-Body-2.jpg (10.93 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Dale-King-908-2LH-No-2.jpg
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports