F1 Silly Season: Winter Edition (or, What if Hamilton Retires?)

Post away...

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Re: F1 Silly Season: Winter Edition (or, What if Hamilton Retires?)

Post by BMW »

I have also thought the same as you, James. :)

I thought Hamilton wanted to get the 8th title, and retire. Maybe retire completely, or move to advisor role or similar.
But Masi robbed him of that, IMHO.
Maybe he will continue for another year to try to get his 8th title, but if it looks like it will not possible, then he will gracefully retire from the top.

I cannot imagine Vettel replacing him however. Vettel's best years are past him. He could not compete against Leclerc in Ferrari, and honestly, he could not overcome Riccardo in RedBull.
As Coulthard said in the Schumacher documentary, "once you get older the gaps close before you get there"
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

Hi JamesB, I checked Lewis first f-1 race was 2007 so a little shorter than I thought, time flies. However I don't think he will be driving f-1 in 2030. Maybe he will be done by 2027, I put that as a realistic time frame. Lewis is extraordinary and because of the commitment he has put in I believe in the 20 year career time frame as we get close to that number he is going to call it a day. There is a point where he won't need the grind anymore. I feel like Lewis is a guy that works at it and does a lot more than just strap in on race day.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Saw this on Facebook. take it for what it's worth, after all it is Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/F1focus/photos ... 218633252/
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yeep, I just read that he has said in social media that he has "a different feel for F1"...
OK, centering on the what-if rather than the whether/if itself, in few words:
-Exciting option: specially for their fans, that's it. Vettel or Alonso. Great quality, great CV, great questions on whether thy "still got it" or not. Possibility of having another multi title man. Alonso should be harder to get, due to his current employers and probably himself. He looks less the "team breaker" Toto feared, besides Toto might not be there. Vettel would be easier. I'd like to see that.
-The reasonable option: Ricciardo, Norris, Ocon, Young, youngish in Dani case, winning material of course, and one of them formerly strongly linked to Mercedes. Lando and Esteban, though, are too similar to Russell IMHO, anyway. The other guys with a similar profile, are hard to take, either for being in the RBR orbit, either now or yesterday.
-The boring option> Yes, Bottas again. I don't see it, honestly. Valtteri has been typecast as wingman or rear gunner. You don't want that besides Russell IMHO. A pairing like Coulthard/Kimi in 2002 is teh reasonable thing. You should want a proved, potential leader, an experienced one. I don't consider Kimi either, he has admitted to be slower than he used to be, nuff said.
It all will, er sorry, WOULD depend on the ability to release the proper guy from his contract...
Hey, and a Nico return???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: Nah, just joking!!

Ed: and to think I said "in few words"...!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Icon_Modeler wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:22 am Saw this on Facebook. take it for what it's worth, after all it is Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/F1focus/photos ... 218633252/
I think LH issue is that he is treated like a party guest staying too long. Prost, if I recall had a similar experience in 1993.

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

I don't see Hamilton retire yet.

Numbers are aligning themselves to nicely!

2022: 2 X 2 X 2 = 8
44 : 4 + 4 = 8

LH needs that 8th title.

Just kidding!

More seriously, I'm sure that everyone at Mercedes are really motivated to teach a lesson to RB. These guys are really competitive and the way the last season ended, they will do their best to get both titles in 2022.

Cheers and happy holidays!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

cbk57 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:00 pm Hi JamesB, I checked Lewis first f-1 race was 2007 so a little shorter than I thought, time flies. However I don't think he will be driving f-1 in 2030. Maybe he will be done by 2027, I put that as a realistic time frame. Lewis is extraordinary and because of the commitment he has put in I believe in the 20 year career time frame as we get close to that number he is going to call it a day. There is a point where he won't need the grind anymore. I feel like Lewis is a guy that works at it and does a lot more than just strap in on race day.
Based on his fitness issues during races, I don't think he's going to race to 42. I think once he hits another rebuild he will be done.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Latest news: Motorsport.com say that HAM has just confirmed Toto that he'll keep on racing. Curiously, it's just the italian edition that tells the news :roll:

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Post by Seiiki »

Nothing of the truth. Just rumour spreading by others to keep the story and the dirt alive, that's all.
Canice

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

JamesB wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:52 am OK, centering on the what-if rather than the whether/if itself, in few words:
Hooray! Someone finally read my OP. :lol:
Je ne regrette rien.