Searching for rain tyre references

Post away...

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Searching for rain tyre references

Post by gp-models »

I´m currently a bit stucked in my search for reference pictures from rain tyres of the 90, 91 and 92 season.
Found only one from 90 which shows barely the pattern of the tyres, in 91 they seem to be the same style, symetric pattern. 92 it was an non symetric style Goodyear made the tyres, is it correct that Goodyear produced the same rain tyre for 1990 and 1991?
Any pictures or links would be helpfull!
Take a stand!

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: Searching for rain tyre references

Post by tubegenius »

I suggest you ask Derek (Icon).

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

As far as i could find it seems they used the same style of pattern in 1990 and 1991, a symetric type of pattern, only the Pirelli tyres had an asymetric pattern.

I have a pic of Adelaide 91 which shows the Benetton of Michael Schumacher with Pirelli Rain tyres on, do i remember wrong cause i thought Benetton used Goodyear tyres that year?!
Take a stand!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

No, you are correct. Benetton ran on Pirelli tyres in 1991.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Goodyear switched to the non symetric tyre during the 1991 season. I checked out https://www.motorsportimages.com, and they had pictures proving it.
It doesn't seem to be possible to link their pictures to the forum, despite there seems to be such an option. So you should check it out yourself:

Search for:

Boutsen on the grid Adelaide 1989
Bailey steps out Imola 1991
Hondas on the grid Adelaide 1991
Schumacher Barcelona 1992

Benetton switched to Pirelli tyres for the 1991 season. I don't know if they intended to stay with Pirelli after 1991, but as Pirelli withdrew Benetton was forced to go back to Goodyear.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank`s for your reply guys, now the Benetton question is solved, they used Pirelli in 1991 and switched back to Goodyear for 1992.

Thank you very much for the hint Steffen, i totaly forgot to have a look at this side and found a few more pics i had not in my collection. :)
Right, somewhere in the middel of the 1991 season Goodyear showed up with a new type of rain tyre with asymetric pattern like used in Adelaide. The pics if found from San Marino are the same type of rain tyre like used in 1990 season, symetric pattern, Adelaide shows clearly the new type with asymetric pattern.
Now i need to check if the 1992 pattern which is also asymetric is the same style like the late 91 tyre, i think it should be the same.
Take a stand!

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

gp-models wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:04 pm Now i need to check if the 1992 pattern which is also asymetric is the same style like the late 91 tyre, i think it should be the same.
That would be the logical thing.
- The asymetric pattern was just introduced at some point in 91. So it was still new and was 'Adelaide '91 proven'.
- Pirelli left F1. So everybody used Goodyear tyres. And without competition there is no urge to develop a new pattern.
- 1993 required the construction of narrow tyres. Another reason to stick with the current pattern for that one remaining season.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you for your Input Steffen, makes sence, no competition and the change somewhere in 91 made no need to produce a new one till 93.
I went to all races on the webside from 90 to 92 and found some more good shots, i think even 89 they used the symetric pattern too, but have to check that as well.
Take a stand!

BullittStang
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Joe
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
United States of America

Post by BullittStang »

I believe from 1985 to 1991, Goodyear used the same symmetric tread pattern on all their racing rain tires, the famous "Gatorback" tread pattern.