Non-Auto modelling: Flipping massive Zeppelins

Post away...

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Non-Auto modelling: Flipping massive Zeppelins

Post by MoFo »

Since I was asked about this elsewhere...

For the past ...few... years, my modelling has been derailed by a bunch of 1/144 airship projects. It started when I stumbled across a really comprehensive paper model set, and realized it wouldn't be too hard to convert to a plastic scratchbuild (ahem) and then kind of spiralled out of control. :lol:

The first is a WWI era Q-class ship, which was a mix of traditional styrene sheet scratchbuild, with CAD designed and 3D printed detail parts. Basic planning and layout for the balloon was done in CAD, then printed on a plotter, mounted on styrene sheet and cut from a 4 x 8' sheet of styrene sheet:

The plastic skin was then wrapped around styrene bulkheads, to rough out the shape (note: small grey thing in the middle is a 1/144 plane - the type that eventually shot down this particular Zeppelin)

Then a metric butt-load of filler, primer and sanding to smooth everything out:

Gondolas designed in CAD, complete with interiors. These were eventually printed by Shapeways in FUD.

Along with other detail parts - engines, guns, rudders, the gun platform on top of the Zeppelin, etc.

Plus a bunch of micro soldering for detail parts - gondola supports, engine supports and handrails.

Coat of paint. Sooooo much masking tape...

Blended together with fabric effect.

It's since been decalled, weathered and rigged (so much rigging line...) and final assembly is virtually finished, but I don't have any current pics. I should probably remedy that...
Je ne regrette rien.

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Re: Non-Auto modelling: Flipping massive Zeppelins

Post by MoFo »

So THEN, as I was nearing completion on THIS multi-year project, I started reading about this new 3D printer called a CR-10 and realized, hey, I could print a Hindenburg with one of those, and it'd be even better than my first Zepp. So I kind of got distracted by the new shiny thing, and designed the (MUCH bigger) Zeppelin in CAD. It is 12" in diameter at its widest point, and 5'7" long in 1/144, and it's honestly kind of overwhelming.

Even those tiiiiiny looking gondolas are actually pretty big when you print them out:

I don't have any great pics of the prints at the moment, but for the 3D printing nerds: the balloon was done in sections, with a .8mm nozzle in spiral mode, so it's actually quite thin and light. Each section is mounted on a couple of printed bulkheads, which themselves slot over some 1" square aluminium tubing. So it's fairly lightweight, but nice and robust. And I slathered the skin in UV resin to smooth out the layer lines. Still needs a TON of sanding, but it's smoother and easier to sand than Bondo.

Unfortunately, after I'd printed it out, and realizing it would be a really cool, eye-catching model, I decided it would be neat if I added lights to highlight the passenger areas. Then I got the idea to add a sound module, with various audio clips related to the airship (yes, the humanity). And if it's going to make sound, I might as well make the engines spin... So, yeah, it's kind of been stuck in limbo for... a while... as things have spiralled out of control. Although conveniently, technology has progressed at the same time; with the new jumbo printers, I finally can get a resin printer big enough to print the tail fins!

(seriously, if your model needs a wiring harness, things have gone badly off the rails!)
Je ne regrette rien.

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

And in the meantime, I've been dabbling in other airships in CAD, because two massive, incomplete projects just isn't enough. I'm currently working on an early war M-Class Zeppelin, and I really want to do a pre-war civilian airship with all its weird, Venetian blind-looking control surfaces. And I've done a late-war R-Class Zeppelin, which will probably be my first print if/when I get a Phrozen Mighty 8K.

Designed a few observation/barrage balloons:

The latter is the famous WWI Drachenballoon, which makes for the most hilariously, unintentionally phallic thing I have ever seen:

Dabbled in some of the British airships with a Sea Scout conversion for the Airfix BE2C (they hacked off the wings and used the fuselage as a gondola under the big balloon)
Je ne regrette rien.

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

Pretty imaginative work. I’d never have the patience but your work is excellent.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

I was going to ask in the other thread for Pictures,,,, thanks!! Looks fantastic. Don't forget to add fire to the Hindenburg,,,, Joking!!!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Post by DiemenRacer »

Wow. That is nice work. I have gotten back into planes thanks to Wingnut Wings kits which has had me thinking about a observation balloon diorama. After seeing your amazing work I realize that would just be too big and too much work. Thanks for sharing.
Mark

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Awesome! And that is nuts, the positive kind :D. Due to all the conversion work on the measurements, and for obvious size reasons, I would have probably gone for 1/200. That would also work nicely with the large scale ships ;).
Those things are absolute monsters and really nicely done. Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Roman

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Really nice. The photo with the fighter plane for scale is mind boggling! As per the previous post about pairing an observation balloon with a WNW kit in 1/32, I also considered that once, but now realize that it would just be almost too huge to display.
Did you buy your paint at a building supply store? (Kidding)

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

The Q-class in 1/44 is about 49 in (1.24 m). The Hindenburg in 1/144 is 67 in (1.7 m) in length. They are massive. Other plastic models in similar size are the 1/72 Type VIIC u-boat (0.934 m) and the 1/48 B-1B Lancer length in 36.5 in (0.927 m) and wing span of 34.25 in (0.87 m).

I have seen both the u-boat and the B-1B. The B-1B is huge with its wings full forward.

The airship and u-boat are easier to display as they are not that wide.

There is a much smaller (1/720) Hindenburg from Revell in just 0.34 m (13.4 in).

Have fun!
C K
Canada

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Thanks all.

I went for 1/144 because it's a standard aircraft scale. And, happily, there was a kit of the plane that shot it down. Makes for an interesting 'dogfight double'. :lol: Although interestingly, it'd be interesting paired with a ship too - this particular airship was one of the last, err, 'vessels' to capture a sailing ship. :D
Grypham wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:44 am As per the previous post about pairing an observation balloon with a WNW kit in 1/32, I also considered that once, but now realize that it would just be almost too huge to display.
Did you buy your paint at a building supply store? (Kidding)
The Drachen would be ~ 2.5' (78cm) in 1/32. Big, for sure, but not crazy (smaller footprint than a Felixstowe, at least) The Zeppelins are an order of magnitude (or two) bigger. :)

And yes, I did buy my paint at a building supply store. :) Well, the base coat, anyway.

Oh, and a few more pics on the Hindenburg:

Next to the front door:

Big of priming (that's a full size spray can in the picture). Finding space to work on the full thing is something of a challenge...

Size comparison with the WWI Zeppelin. The Hindenburg was BIG:

Very, VERY big:
Je ne regrette rien.