3D Printer Bed Comparison

Post away...

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

3D Printer Bed Comparison

Post by MoFo »

Something I've been meaning to knock together for a while.  Here are a couple of visual comparisons of the various printer bed sizes.  Should be useful for anyone looking at buying a machine, to get a feel for just what 'big' and 'small' actually means, and whether a size upgrade is worth the money.  I haven't included every printer, but all the major players and main 'size classes' are in there (so, the L-002R is the same size as the Photon Mono, as are the equivalent Epax and Longer machines)

They're sized to print on North American legal sized paper (that Mega 8K is BIG!), but something got messed up in the upload, so they may need to be printed at 200% scale.

Centered version: 

Corner adjust version, which really underscores the size differences:

Last edited by MoFo on Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Je ne regrette rien.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Re: 3D Printer Bed Comparison

Post by capri-schorsch »

Wow, that Mega8k is really mega.

But right now I own 2x Saturn and that's enough for me at the moment.
Maybe when there is a machine who can print a whole body in 1/12?
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

The graphic is nice but does not contain any measurements which are more important ;)
I think a 1:12 should be possible on the Mega 8K, some datas of the building room would make it clearer.
With incrising size you definately want a higher resolution, otherwise the details will not be that fine. I bet the details are finer on a saturn instead of the Mega, both 8K, but the different print size makes it happen.
Take a stand!

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Check again. ;)

The purpose was to make a printable page, so you could physically see exactly how big a given printer's build plate was. So I didn't think the dimensions were as important, because such-and-such a printer is EXACTLY that big (when you print it...). But... I went ahead and added the dimensions.

And yeah, the Mega is definitely big enough to print 1/12. Small correction, though: the Saturn/Mono X are 4K printers, not 8K. The resolution is actually higher on the Mega 8K @ 43um vs. the Saturn/Mono X which are 50um.
Je ne regrette rien.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Awesome post, MoFo!
Unless you want to print the entire car in one go, the Mega 8k is the way to go - not that there are affordable alternatives ;)). However, who is going to do that? Is there even a car where a single piece of bodywork is larger than that build envelope? I doubt it. Maybe stuff like the rocket cars thrust ssc or whatever they were called, but regular cars, I cannot think of one.
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Well the hypotenuse is about 518mm, so if you really want to max out the build size, that's the biggest it will go. And in 1/12, that works out to about 6 m or 20' which... yeah, that'll cover most full cars, let alone body sections. Really, you can start looking at 1/8 car prints at that size, if you're printing major body sections.

That said, it's a $1000 jump from the Jupiter to the Mega 8K and while it's a sizeable jump in size, the Jupiter should be fine for most 1/12 body sections. Maddeningly though, the Jupiter is juuuuust too small for some of the projects I have in mind (I've been designing a bunch of 1/144 Zeppelins in CAD... kind of the opposite of F1 :D).
Je ne regrette rien.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Yes your right, i had in mind the Saturn is a 8K printer, my mistake.
The only problems with the big ones is the price, they all cost a fortune actually, maybe and hopefully there will be a price drop in future on the big ones.
Take a stand!

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

MoFo wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:31 pm Well the hypotenuse is about 518mm, so if you really want to max out the build size, that's the biggest it will go. And in 1/12, that works out to about 6 m or 20' which... yeah, that'll cover most full cars, let alone body sections. Really, you can start looking at 1/8 car prints at that size, if you're printing major body sections.

That said, it's a $1000 jump from the Jupiter to the Mega 8K and while it's a sizeable jump in size, the Jupiter should be fine for most 1/12 body sections. Maddeningly though, the Jupiter is juuuuust too small for some of the projects I have in mind (I've been designing a bunch of 1/144 Zeppelins in CAD... kind of the opposite of F1 :D).
Hol up. Zeppelins? 1/144? Care to elaborate? I have been thinking about having a skeleton version, maybe partially fabric covered, of LZ129. However, even at 1/144 that would still be about 1.60 meters long. There is a PE version out there, but that is like 1/500 or 1/1000 or something. And at the scale the details of the frame are mostly lost.
Cheers,
Roman

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Who has the smallest um? Mars3?

Jordan

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

The Mars 3 and Phrozen Mini 4K are both 35um, but the Mini is in the Mars 2/Photon Mono size class.

However.

The Photon Ultra has the 'worst' resolution at 80um, but should actually produce the finest, sharpest prints because of the technology.
Je ne regrette rien.