Has anyone here ever been to Le Mans?

Post away...

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Your Name: Roy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles and Jean. The number 27 Ferrari...
Ireland

Has anyone here ever been to Le Mans?

Post by alesi27 »

Having passed the half century recently got me thinking about crossing this off my bucket list. Always wanted to go, feel that if i don't in the next few years i never will.

Looking at seriously doing this in 2023 or 24. Probably 24 to benefit from the hopefully better competition with more MFGs.(also more time to save some beer tokens..)

Will be travelling from Ireland and thinking either a week at Le Mans, flying and hotel;
or a 2-3 week driving holiday taking in 4 or 5 days in Normandy doing the D-day thing, middle week/weekend at La Sarth, 5 days in Brittany, ferry back to Cork..

Looking for any tips/websites or just good advice on where to get info. Also what is a realistic budget? Will be 2 or 3 of us travelling, no camper van just an Audi A4 estate. Advice on package trips also appreciated.

Cheers
Roy.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: Has anyone here ever been to Le Mans?

Post by indycals »

I visited the track and museum in February 2019 and it gave me the bug to go to the race. Originally was going to go to the 2020 race, but that fell through for obvious and not so obvious reasons. I was really looking at trying to go this year but it's still a no-go, and I can't do it next year, so I'm going to try for 2023. So, I'm also good for tips. I'd probably prefer to go with an established company that can provide accommodations at the track - that's what I was going to do in 2020 with Thomas Cooke travel, but they went out of business before they even started selling packages for that race that I wouldn't have been able to go to anyway.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well... I have been to Le Mans several times, 2009 having been the first one, with several more to follow. Initially we started as a 2-man team in '09 in a rented Beetle Diesel cabriolet (d'uh). In '10 we went with 2 cars and 4 people. '11 we had 3 cars etc. It kind of spiraled out of control after that - too many people who didn't care about the event or cars or racing - which is why I didn't go in '12. In '13 it was back to our 2-man posse and since then, with the exception of the last 2 years, I've been going on my own. For me it is usually a relatively relaxing but also a tad hectic weekend. The latter due to me usually working on Friday and again on Monday, plus having a 900km drive either way starting late Friday evening to be outside rush hour, maybe stopping in Paris for a tour (and some shuteye) then arriving early morning in Le Mans. Thing is, in the early years we were always camping, since I'm going solo I sort of don't do that anymore. I mean with the exception of our very first trip, I have always slept in the back of an estate or touring car. That first time I actually brought a tent and pitched it. Since then I have found my spot where can I park my car (bimmer 5 series touring) with no issues, can go to a nearby supermarket and walk to the track whenever I fancy. I sleep in the rear of my car - I've got a thin mattress in there and a sleeping bag + pillow :D. And some time after the race is done, I'm turning back home with no big queues anywhere near the track or trying to get out of the camping grounds (which has taken us several!! hours on occasion). My car is pointed the right way, press the button and head for the highway.
However, the last few years I have taken detours going back. And if you have time to spare I would recommend you do that. The scenery is beautiful and there are lots of things to see if you are into old architecture or racing circuits of a time gone by. For instance, the last time I went, I got off the motorway and went to Chartres, did some sightseeing, continued to Montlhery and continued onwards to Reims where I arrived in time (at night) for an awesome story based light show projected on the cathedral facade. Every time I drive back from LM I keep asking myself why am I going back (to work) and not just branch of and spend a few more days roaming around? One day, I will.

That aside. The LM experience is something to behold, especially if you're on one of the camping grounds. You will see some top end cars parked next to tents and mobile homes, lots of folks from around the world - and lots of boozing. Trackside action is also pretty neat with the museum - that I have been to at least once every time I've been there. Some of the exhibits are there forever, others are replaced every now and then. I remember going one year because they had several of the 1967 F1 cars there, which for me as an old time GPL nut was enough to sell me on the trip :).
Also, as opposed to your regular grand prix (which is usually done in 2 hours) this one goes through the night. And if you are into photography, the night is where it's at. Long exposure shots of the head or taillights slicing through the night, glowing brake discs, etc. And of course all the drama that comes with long distance running. Like that year where the Toyota ran out of steam on the S/F straight only to later on continue on but taking to long...

So Roy, if you're thinking about it, do it! My suggestion would be to take some time and do the roadtrip thing and probably go the camping route at least for LM, it's part of the experience. This from someone who is relatively picky on accommodation and cleanliness of the facilities - the shower and bog containers on the camping grounds are cleaned several times a day - and you just need to time your window properly so you're not in a long as* queue :).

Seeing as you're taking off from the Ireland / UK is I'm not sure if there are going to be any extra hurdles when taking your own car (think carnet or whatnot). Since the UK is no longer EU territory things might be different. When I drove to London via ferry from Calais it was a breeze. Show passport, drive onto the ferry, drive off the ferry, go through customs "anything to declare?" (holding back on the reference from the movie "Snatch" ;)) I was done in like 5 minutes and was on my way again. The direction back home was even faster with no actual stop or search.
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Your Name: Roy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles and Jean. The number 27 Ferrari...
Ireland

Post by alesi27 »

Thanks Roman. That all helps.
We're still all EU citizens here in Cork thankfully, and we have a direct ferry from Cork to Roscoff. (And loads more options from Rosslare now too thanks to the GB vote to close off the landbridge, amongst other things).

Plan is to take my son with me if its a (very long) weekend thing, and Swmbo if its longer. Id sleep in the car if i was on my tod, but with one or more I'm looking at glamping at a min, as i possess no camping gear whatsoever...

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

I've been 3 times back in 2010/11/14. Would recommend it over an F1 GP ( been only once in 2005 ).
Went there by car from Germany with one colleague in just my Golf or in '11 with 5 others in a VW bus, sleeping in tents on the big Beausejour campground in the middle of the track.
We were all not campers and properly equipped. A tent is cheap though and a few basics ( barbecue, cheap tent/pavillion to sit under, cheap folding camping chairs and a self cooling beer keg do the job ). I'd recommend the camping over a hotel for the experience, but if it rains a lot it won't be fun. That's for sure :-)
We always arrived thursday late afternoon in time to set up the tent and then walk to the Porsche curves and watch qualifying.
Friday morning is pit walk. You can also go into town for the driver parade and combine it with a visit to Profil24. They normally have an open day. Not sure how they handle it with Covid.
Friday afternoon used to be "Mad Friday", a big party ( mainly fueled by the Brits ) on the streets and campgrounds around the track with people showing off cars, doing burnouts and so on, finishing off with impressive levels of fireworks at night by the fans. The last time I went that had slowed down considerably. Don't know how it is now.
Saturday morning used to include a classic race ( switching between 60's cars and Group C ) but I think now they do an LMP3 race instead ( sadly...).
For the race we had grandstand tickets between the start/finish and the Dunlop bridge to have a spot with a roof to watch but that's not necessary. You can ( and should ) walk around and watch from different spots. There are of course big screens to follow the action. Be prepared to do a lot of walking! The pros bring bikes :-)
You can go behind the grandstands and get food ( not impressive ), books, model cars and so on. It's not just team merchandise like at F1 races. I've never been to the museum because during the race weekend that's full.
I've driven home right after the race finish to be back at work monday morning but staying another night on the campground and driving home monday was more relaxing of course.
I'd like to go again. During the coming years with Hypercars and LMDh and new factory involvement attendance number will grow significantly again ( pandemic permitting...).

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

"And if you are into photography, the night is where it's at." That is why I wanted to make it happen this year - more nighttime racing than the traditional June date.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

All I can advice is GO FOR IT even if it seesm the plan is not perfect. :D
Just think I am 5 years older, so I am in that age of regertting what I DID NOT do between 50 and 55!! :lol: unrepeatable concerts, etc...
Do it!!! :wink:

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

I have been there only once in 2003. Frustrated by the obvious good photograph ops. Too many high fences which has increased in the mean time. We discovered an open door on the main straight that led to the tribune above the pits. Så stayed there for the start. It wasn't full, so a pretty good "unfenced" view. The bloody thing about Le Mans it is a rather large circuit - and the busses driving to the other ends were obviously crowded. So a couple of us walked to the Mulsanne corner - just to see more high fences. Luckily it was way before all this political correctness nonsense so the Hawaian Tropic girls made up for the fences! ;-) It was one of the years when it was brutally hot and the sound from the V8 were thundering all night! On sunday afternoon I was more than thirsty, but most sellers were out of anything. Suddenly I saw a guy with a refregirator full of orange cans of soda (I gathered - my french is non existent) It turned out to be beer with peach flavour! Possibly why there were so many left....? :-( Bad experience. So I didn't became a fan - but enjoys the race on TV!