My ancient history of 1/12 scale modelling

Post away...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: My ancient history of 1/12 scale modelling

Post by JamesB »

Sorry I fear I skipped the main theme of the topic. And I also overlooked what was an interesting adventure, I mentioned just as a side not, and that´s not fair.
HELLER RENAULT RE20-23
I bought it in a small place near Spain were everything was cheaper. Tamiya 1-12 f1s were like 850 pesetas (like 5 eu today, or 10 buck of back then), the 1-12s like the T5 (the only one available there), cost 3500 ptas. So I grabbed a Heller RE20 for just 2300 ptas.
Soon I saw it was no jewell, anyway I was in the middle of discovering the F1 modeling, I had aready transformed an FW07, done scratch built Mp4-1, etc.
So I first of all bought some small screws in an optical shops, those used on glasses. I wanted to make a model that I could assemble and disassemble. Good thing is I learnt some thing down the road...
I tried to make an RE30, based on drawings of 1981 car in GPI mag, by Giorgio Piola. I evan almost finished the monocoque.
Things got lengthy in time so I ended up trying to make the 1983 RE40. I finished a nice monocoque, made the most of similarities between RE40 and RE20 bodyworks (that bulky engine cover), made nice sidepods, really interesting rear wing (using thin plastic, folded and glued) , suspensions... even a figure dressed with real blue clothes!! what I could not make a nice render of, was the nose bodywork. So I got happy with doing the same at 1-20!!! :lol: :lol:
I never finished the RE40, but was anice adventure and lots of funny scratch build.
Next 1-12 was the 126C2, some 11 years later.
BR
James

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

JamesB wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:31 pm Sorry I fear I skipped the main theme of the topic. And I also overlooked what was an interesting adventure, I mentioned just as a side not, and that´s not fair.
HELLER RENAULT RE20-23
I bought it in a small place near Spain were everything was cheaper. Tamiya 1-12 f1s were like 850 pesetas (like 5 eu today, or 10 buck of back then), the 1-12s like the T5 (the only one available there), cost 3500 ptas. So I grabbed a Heller RE20 for just 2300 ptas.
Soon I saw it was no jewell, anyway I was in the middle of discovering the F1 modeling, I had aready transformed an FW07, done scratch built Mp4-1, etc.
So I first of all bought some small screws in an optical shops, those used on glasses. I wanted to make a model that I could assemble and disassemble. Good thing is I learnt some thing down the road...
I tried to make an RE30, based on drawings of 1981 car in GPI mag, by Giorgio Piola. I evan almost finished the monocoque.
Things got lengthy in time so I ended up trying to make the 1983 RE40. I finished a nice monocoque, made the most of similarities between RE40 and RE20 bodyworks (that bulky engine cover), made nice sidepods, really interesting rear wing (using thin plastic, folded and glued) , suspensions... even a figure dressed with real blue clothes!! what I could not make a nice render of, was the nose bodywork. So I got happy with doing the same at 1-20!!! :lol: :lol:
I never finished the RE40, but was anice adventure and lots of funny scratch build.
Next 1-12 was the 126C2, some 11 years later.
BR
James
Ahh, the HELLer Renault, It never made It here :mrgreen: .

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

vekkuli wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:37 pm Ahh, the HELLer Renault, It never made It here :mrgreen: .
Yes, who´d make a WIP considering there´s the Tamiya. Not that we´ve seen many, if any, of the latter! :wink:

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

JamesB wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:58 am
vekkuli wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:37 pm Ahh, the HELLer Renault, It never made It here :mrgreen: .
Yes, who´d make a WIP considering there´s the Tamiya. Not that we´ve seen many, if any, of the latter! :wink:
Sorry, I ment my Kit never made It :lol: .