Are F1 racers racing to win anymore?

Post away...

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Re: Are F1 racers racing to win anymore?

Post by steinietrabi »

I think you can answer the main question with yes. The drivers are definitely going to win. But it just counts more today than I think at another time that technology, strategy, consistency and durability are more and more important and that over a longer period of time, if not the entire season. All the teams have moved closer and closer together and I think this may become even clearer in 2022. And that's what the rules wanted to achieve.

I think nothing has changed in terms of the fun and joy of racing - but it's still a different time.

I have to say I am enjoying the current season and I have to say it creates excitement that there is not always a black car in front. ;)
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

As a short note to add, look for instance cycling. The times when the likes of Perico Delgado, Fabio Parra, Fignon, Pantani or Chiapucci would set a ferocious attack in the mountains are replaced with cyclists monitored also as much as a Mercedes Power Unit. See the cars of 1983... everyone with a different approach. Quoting again "Industrial disease", "Two men say this is aerodynamic, one of them must be wrong". Those were days of more naivety, more instinctive decisions, now there's more control... in the same way that this comparison was made between 80s and 60s.
Do I think they could live with less of all that? much probably yes. :D

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Hamilton didn't let Verstappen go, his car was just that much slower. He hasn't had to deal with this since 2018 so was a bit unhappy about it. They're still racing to win, but the problem is that with passing still so difficult, its better to stay a few seconds behind than within half a second and destroy your tires.

Its also important to remember that in the 80s to mid 2000s, we didn't get team radio, or at a minimum didn't get it during the race. Once it was mandatory that fans were able to hear every conversation, people started to hear the strategy calls they hadn't heard before. This has distorted a lot of views because you didn't hear Senna get told to hold position for example.

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

Bring back Keke, Nigel and the like who didn't know the meaning of "hold position"...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

stubeck wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:32 am Its also important to remember that in the 80s to mid 2000s, we didn't get team radio, or at a minimum didn't get it during the race. Once it was mandatory that fans were able to hear every conversation, people started to hear the strategy calls they hadn't heard before. This has distorted a lot of views because you didn't hear Senna get told to hold position for example.
But he had been, right? :wink:
Ah those were the days (arghhh! I can´t believe the fact I am gonna refer is almost 40 years old) :D Well just remember the "T10, 1ALAIN-2RENE" or the "JONES-REUT" signs. These happened, and drivers reacted with varied guts levels.
I suppose 90% people rooted Arnoux at the French GP in 1982
I also remember Prost being referred at a race report as to having touched the top of his helmet to indicate his crew he was gonna pit for fresh tyres next lap.
Surely the radio access gives us some gems.
I´d prefer simpler cars, designs, engines, rules, and races anyway...
This joke (done by a highly talented draughtsman!! :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) eplains it well...

https://i.postimg.cc/3rv1ptsG/f1-complicated.jpg

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Exactly, simplicity would help. If a driver can't drive the car without someone telling him how to, then the car is probably too complicated and should be simplified.