cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

My holy grail kit

Post by cbk57 »

I kind of love the GT-350R and for years have wanted the Thunder Valley upgrade set even though I have and built the monogram kit when it came out for the R model. When I built the monogram kit, I even cut out and blanked out the batter to relocate it to the trunk. I remember these being advertised in Scale Auto Enthusiast many years ago. I don't know why I did not buy and build one then but I never did. Last time I had an opportunity to buy the Thunder Valley set was over 10 years ago and I missed the bid on it by a few bucks. I would have paid more if i had been thinking. Anyway this morning it popped up on my notice list, buy it now, at a reasonable price along with a complete Monogram GT-350R kit. So now it is mine. Years ago I purchased a resin set of wheels to do another R model that have just been waiting in my parts box for a kit to go on.

just really happy to finally get one of these.

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Re: My holy grail kit

Post by marlborored »

Congratulations on getting your grail!

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Post by MPK »

We all have our unicorns. I have hunted down most of them, still keeping my eyes open for the Promocom 1/8 Ferrari 126C2 Imola
Matti

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

the problem with holy grail kits is, as soon as you find your grail, another steps in to take its place.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Sometimes, it’s a lot more fun hunting then down than building them. But I agree with Mr. Grumpy. There will always be another to step in and take its place. 1/4 is my new holy grail. Perhaps I should have collected coins.

Topic author
cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I had several cars I fell for when I first became car conscious, one was a red 1965 Mustang GT fastback that was sitting out of commission in front of an old gas station in Charleston Illinois. I saw that car sitting for years and eventually became enthralled by the GT-350 but above all the R. So this kit was just one I always wanted but never purchased. I have mine now, might even build it. I already have a GT 350R but the base monogram kit, I could also take the old one apart and use the Thunder valley parts on that one. I think I will build a second one eventually thought. The one I have was back in the day where I built it and just put markings on it that felt good so I put a number 1 on it and some assorted sponsor decals but really did not make an effort to replicate a real car. The TVA set actually replicates a Mark Donhue car so I may research that a build to replicate that car as one of my great car insanity influences was Brock Yates book Sunday Driver which intern had a strong Mark Donhue connection as he featured heavily in that book. Dear god I need to get a copy of that book and read it again. Writing this post just made me think of how much I loved that book and I read it 30 years ago.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Mr.Grumpy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:34 am the problem with holy grail kits is, as soon as you find your grail, another steps in to take its place.
Definitely true! I got the Red 5 Jaguar R5 kit last November, opened it up, got intimidated and haven't done anything else with it yet.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

For me the thing has two variants: one thing is the Holy Grail subject, other the Holy Grail kit. Not ecessarily the same.
The sucject is that car (as long as we stay there and don't mention SW, Mazinger, war ships, AFV...) and probably at THAT scale. The one you think and get some goosebumps. Not necessarily a kit, in fact the fact it can be associated to a kit which may be hunted down and gotten detracts some of the thrill, besides makes it less exotic... so it's probably a scratch project, a transformation...
Then the kit. Many times it's a rampage that will bring on shooting on similar targets, or once you know you have the kit and making it into a model just depends on you, some of the rebel thrill of "Ah! how bad I want it and life is so unfair with me I don't manage to buy it" is gone.
Anyway, we are badly grown up kids, or the part of us devoted to our passion for modeling is, at least. And then subject to childish feelings, motivations...
Sometimes a book, a pic that suddenly pops up or a memory that is brought back again...
Let's keep on dreaming and, as Alex says, modeling!! :D