dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Favorite Putty/filler

Post by dgwoodward2 »

I wanted to ping the group to see what is your favorite putty/filler that you use. Right now I am dealing with resin, but do a lot of white metal kits as well. My latest favorite has been Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty, but always open to additional suggestions and experiences. Thanks so much!

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Re: Favorite Putty/filler

Post by MarcoSaupe »

CA/Superglue. Doesn't shrink, hardens quickly. Ok, it's not suitable for reshaping big bodyparts, but perfect for all seams or small holes.

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

dgwoodward2 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:50 am I wanted to ping the group to see what is your favorite putty/filler that you use. Right now I am dealing with resin, but do a lot of white metal kits as well. My latest favorite has been Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty, but always open to additional suggestions and experiences. Thanks so much!

My favourite filler is Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty too. I use it on Styrene Plastic, Resin and also White Metal...
Have used it for years now and NEVER had a problem with it... Using it on large areas, apply it in layers finishing layer
slightly higher than necessary and sand back to shape required. I swear by the stuff, it is exactly what it says on the tube
PERFECT PUTTY. :lol: :mrgreen:

Steve.
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

After years of using Milliput I switched to Apoxie-Sculpt on recommendation and I'm glad I did. And like MarcoSaupe - I frequently use CA glue for small holes/cracks.

ferrarissimus
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Germany

Post by ferrarissimus »

My favorite putty is Tamiya's Light Curing Putty. Advantage of this putty is, that is doesn't shrink and you can sand it after 1 minute having hold it under a halogen lamp or better under a small UV flashlite, to buy for a few Euros. A further advantage: it cures hard and does not crack when drilling.It is perfect using on resin and metal. I do only use it exclusively since years and never saw later on imperfections on the surface.

ferrarissimus

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Post by DiemenRacer »

I also like Perfect Plastic Putty. I just started using it last year and find it really easy to use. It is water soluble which makes it easy to clean up and contour before it sets so I have less sanding to do.
Mark

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

The Perfect Plastic Putty you guys are talking about, if I remember correctly it will be washed away by water? It is too soft and feel like kind of drywall material?

I find the one I remember used once before, this one?

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/deluxe- ... gIGCPD_BwE

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Interesting subject. I still looking for the allround putty but that doesn't seem to exist

The basic Tamiya / Revell putty is really nice but for some reason it's shelf life is not that long so I always have to throw away "tubes" that are 80% full !?

For small repairs I really love the Mr Surfacer 500/1000 Problems are it shrink very much, dries slowly and likes to chip...other than that it's good :)

Most of the time I just use superglue and to speed drying up and make it a bit harder I dip it into microballons...Don't know whats happening but it will get really hard !?

The best material I think is that simple 2k filler from the hardwarestore. Super hard and attaches great to everything. Problem is the mixing...well not really a problem but little annoying and you have to work fast because it dries really quick.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

danibear wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:12 am The Perfect Plastic Putty you guys are talking about, if I remember correctly it will be washed away by water? It is too soft and feel like kind of drywall material?

I find the one I remember used once before, this one?

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/deluxe- ... gIGCPD_BwE
Yes, that is the one I was referring to. It is a bit soft, which is a double edged sword. It sands very nicely, but might be considered to be a bit more fragile. I have tried most everything suggested, and just keep looking for a better mouse trap. At the end of the day, I would guess it comes down to what you like working with the most as there are caveats no matter which one you use. I also think for some of them I have been the error to cause issues. I did not realize that Apoxie requires curing for 24 hours before it was ready to be sanded, etc.

Thanks for those who have responded. It has been helpful.

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Finisher’s lacquer putty is way better.... hard and not fragile and stand the shape when drys, very easy to sand, at least easier or as easy as the mentioned Perfect Plastic Putty.

I used once and just throw away the perfect Plastic Putty. It will be washed away by water......pointless.....or we are willing to breath in all these dust by dry sanding.

Again, Finisher’s lacquer putty is better, you can thin yourself to fill the hairline imperfections, and also can be used to fill more substantial holes. It is thinned by another thinner, so it won’t shrink by sprayed over with lacquer paints.