OBITUORY: ADRIAN CAMPOS RIP

Post away...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

OBITUORY: ADRIAN CAMPOS RIP

Post by JamesB »

News shook me this morning with the first coffee. I saw the sliding news strap at the bottom of the TV screen. "FORMULA UNO: HA MUERTO..." in those short fractions of a second, I went for the elder chances, so when I saw "... a los 60 años, Adrián Campos" I was more than shocked.
I knew this guy. I even made him an interview for the University magazine (named BIELA, con-rod in spanish). A really nice guy, probably, regardless his driving abilities, one of those to carry that "too nice a guy to win" label, as Watson Patrese, Mass...
He was quite something in Spain. The first since Godia and Portago to get a real works F1 contract. We came from the ashes of de Villota career, the bikes guys already winning, and we started to shine in WRC thanks to a certain Sainz. Campos, and later Perez Sala, were still chronologically far from Alonso´s exploit, it was Campos´spotting abilities that started Fernando´s career.
When the Circuito Urbano de Valencia thing happened, with a dense cloud of political corruption round of it, Campos was wise enough to stay away from all that BS.
A sad day for Spanish racing.
Many will remeber some bizarre details, as him being off from his first GP because of having forgotten to put on his ear caps, or his shunt at Monaco 88, from which he awakened later thinking he was Senna. Which surely he was not, but had to suffer things such as his team mate systematically starting races with half a tank,so he was much faster, more than actually already was.

RIP (Race in peace)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/54/e8/d054e8850739918fdd012f4fa74e61c9.jpg

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Re: OBITUORY: ADRIAN CAMPOS RIP

Post by Formulamike »

Hi James, very sad news, I have delete my topic it is better one topic of this very sad news.
Mike

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks Mike :)
Yes, really sad. To be true, I should also add that he funded the first racing bike that Jorge Martinez Aspar used on the Streaker Cup. He also put no problem in Sala entering Minardi, although it was Adrian who had brought the sponsorship. He has been crucial in the careers of quite a few spaniards, it's remarkable that the most repeated lines on the reactions to news is "a good person"...

js1115
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Didier Pironi
France

Post by js1115 »

Really a sad news, so young.....
Maybe i will convert a M185 to a M186...
Jean-Paul

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

js1115 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:55 pm Really a sad news, so young.....
Maybe i will convert a M185 to a M186...
But Campos never raced the ´86... I have an M187 on its way... amybe its time to go faster with it. Would be a nice tribute.

js1115
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Didier Pironi
France

Post by js1115 »

You are right James !
I was thinking about the one pictured in the first post.... M187 ;)
Jean-Paul

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

RIP!

I remember Campos well. He died too young.