GT40 lovers, start your drooling

Post away...

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GT40 lovers, start your drooling

Post by jaykay »

Looking at these photos i'd agree with your observations. The Meng looked a bit to pointy/round at the front in the CAD renderings and the kit parts seem to confirm this.
In comparison to real car pictures the outlines of the doors are too round too and by contrast the rear window looks too square.
It's a pity. I really wonder why a comnpany making the investment into development and tooling they'll possibly be using for decades fails at the very beginning with getting proper reference ( and maybe someone with an eye for shapes to do the CAD model ). Why didn't they just go and scan a real one. There are enough around...

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Now that you mention it, I was wondering about the top of the doors as well, shape-wise and of course the lip showing in the Meng kit seems a bit "pronounced". Same for the slight dam where the windscreen rests upon, simulating, i guess, the seal running around. It seems a bit thick. I am not sure on the mount for the wiper (triangular thingy), the cutout is there on both kits, the mounting plate is moulded as part of the forward bulkhead on the Trumpeter, it is not visible in the Meng kit, but might just be a small bit that you need to glue in place later. There are other things, like the shape of the front bonnet, the holes around it...

Anyway, some of the FB crowd seem to like it. But then again, they recommend the KA upgrade kit for the Trumpeter (which had major issues, axles, exhaust, cough cough). Soo I would take their opinions with a grain of salt. Now where are the GT40 afficionados to chime in here?

ome more pics, Meng supplied it would seem, of the built model:
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/1 ... lejrKTV1v0
Cheers,
Roman

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

Little strange to see nr1 decals with blue lines & outline of white circles.
Think they should be black.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

cbk57 wrote:For those who know, what is correct for a 1966 GT40 as far as hoses and lines go, the kit has black rubber hoses, the restoration cars have an fittings with braided line it looks like. Anyone know how it should have looked in 66?
these are all I have, not really great engine shots, but hey, it is what it is ;-)
Ehhh, forgot where i got them from but thx to them.

wim
Now also on Facebook ...

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

bestbalsakits wrote:Little strange to see nr1 decals with blue lines & outline of white circles.

Wim
Funny, i seem to remember Michael Portaro from Indycals claimed they should be blue, not black...
On his website they are blue too...
https://www.indycals.net/decals/lemans/66gt40-1.html
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

racingkars wrote:
bestbalsakits wrote:Little strange to see nr1 decals with blue lines & outline of white circles.

Wim
Funny, i seem to remember Michael Portaro from Indycals claimed they should be blue, not black...
On his website they are blue too...
https://www.indycals.net/decals/lemans/66gt40-1.html
owww, well i checked my references, but most of them are b/w and coloured ones are too small to see.
O-oowww, if this is true, we better not tell anyone ;-)

Anyone has good colour pic to decide black/blue?

Wim
Now also on Facebook ...

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Last edited by Chinamalc on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

I like blue for the stripe outlines and I don't see any steel braided lines so I think black hoses are the way to go. Lots of little details in the pics from the Shelby hangar like the AAR sticker on the side window of the #3 Gurney Grant car.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

Chinamalc wrote:I vote for blue lines.
Exhibit A:-
66lm01gt40mkiikenmile0fku9 - Copy.jpg
M.
mmm, 1 pic don't make summer... especially not if blue is out of balance.
After a quick correction with yellow, colors already look more natural, and lines turn to black.

Ok there are still small areas where stripe has slight blue hue (like top of white circle of passanger door), but that might just be because it is near the blue of the car and picture compression recalculated color into something more blue than black. Note the rubber surrounding of the side window is also looking blue near top of white circle, and rubber is black, matt/satin black.
If even matt/satin black is represented as blue, then surely satin/gloss black from stripe in same area suffers same fault. Cameras can't interprete colours, they just grab what they get offered regardless of circumstances/influences.

Now also on Facebook ...

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

Thanks so much Wim for posting those photos. It looks to me like in the front of the car that the lines have hex fittings but there is black coating on the various lines. The last photo Wim posted it looks to me like some of the lines are braided with hex fittings and some are black hoses. The oil lines look like they are braided metal in the last photo.