GT40 lovers, start your drooling

Post away...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GT40 lovers, start your drooling

Post by gp-models »

Oh, and about flouro colours, same on this. Some might not see the difference cause they judge about a single pic, but that`s not realistic!
Same discussion like on the right sunoco colours which i confirmed even with original colour codes i found on internet, but some did not believe.
Surely ok to me as i don`t have to build it.
Take a stand!

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

sky1911 wrote: "Mettez un tigre dan votre moteur" (I think everywhere else it was quoted as put a tiger in your tank).
Well, it's all about the alletiration: Tigre-Tank & Mettez-Moteur, TT vs MM.
The guy who had to translate from American to French stayed true to the intention of the text. Think otherwise he might not get paid ;-)

Wiù
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

sky1911 wrote: the Esso one with "Mettez un tigre dan votre moteur" (I think everywhere else it was quoted as put a tiger in your tank, here it's motor). Anyway, that lettering is black as well.
Yes, valid point. I tried to search for adverds, and always black text next to blue logo. You could think this was company strategy, and if so, colours would be similar @ le mans.
Good thinking Roman.

OT: now would'n this add lead you towards Esso station and skip all others crossed on the way over? Still appealing to me.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well, waddayasay.. I thought why not check what the Holly Wood (some actress or something idk) had to say about the "Ford vs Ferrari" flick. I captured this pic:

https://i.imgur.com/EVJg2Db.jpg

And guess what the jolly Ms Wood had to say - both the roundel and the stripes were outlined in.. dark blue. Now I'm sure this is a restoration or being Holly Wood it's make believe (so cardboard, duct tape and some paint slapped on) as they had to change the colour of the car for several races... as I don't think any sane person would give up the original car to Ms Wood for filming. Seeing how at least one GT40 is destroyed in the film (might be CG, who knows)...

Oh and to my great shame.. I have to admit that I did the GT40 MKII(b) skins for our Sportscar GT'66 mod for GPL (not released) and.. well.. how do I put this? I did the line borders in a dark blue BUT the roundels were bordered in black. So 50:50. And I believe that was either done as per my own research at the time (2011) or per our researchers - being that this is not an "official" mod, there probably weren't any other than me.

So Wim, I'm afraid... I at least have some doubts now. Because how can my past self have been wrong? Unthinkable ;)
Cheers,
Roman

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Interesting "review" of the Meng GT40 here
Cheers,
Roman

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

gp-models wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:10 am Yes Wim, hear me calling this blue and none black.
I`ve been doing this job now for close to 30 years and i say it`s dark blue. Seen you writing that you know an experienced car painter who can judge about pics what colour it is, asked him and he surely will copy this. Show him any pic you have and he will judge the same. I can see clearly the difference in between the Numbers which are for sure black and the stripes and roundings, it might be hard for a none educated and experienced eye to see, but i would be a fortune on it! Otherwise i can post pics from the restored version where it is more clear then the one your showing up.
Definitely blue stripes and blue roundel outlines with black numbers. The exact shade/hue of the blue - that's up for debate but is a minor point of contention IMO. But I have too much reference material that confirms with 100% certainty what is blue and what is black. Here's one, you can clearly see the roundel outline is lighter than the number.
Attachments
ford-miles-hulme.jpg

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Indycals/Michael .... I noticed on the "Recent Purchases" thread that you now have the Meng kit, could you opine on what you think of earlier comments about door/window shape etc.? I struggle to fathom how Meng got it wrong with all the time they took to design the kit, and releasing CAD renderings early for enthusiasts to comment on, and having Ford licensing (and one would think that Ford gave them access to a car or drawings)?

Anyway, what is your opinion of what's in the box? The above mentioned "Review" of the kit was done by an aircraft modelling guy who claims to know little about cars, so it wasn't of much help.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Well, first I don't have a Trumpeter kit so I can only comment based on what I see in the Meng kit - I can't comment on which is better or if the price difference is worth it. I got mine for about $260 shipped from Japan so I don't think the price was unreasonable for a new (and licensed) 1/12 scale kit, but I know a lot of places are selling it for a lot more.

I do think it is an exceptionally well engineered kit and the pieces go together very well. I have started building it and I'm also building a Tamiya 934 in 1/12 scale. There is definitely a 'not a Tamiya' feel to it in comparison - I can't really describe it. But they did some things really well, like the instrument panel and the seats. The dampers are kind of puzzling. Where Tamiya dampers are designed like real dampers, the Meng dampers are pretty half assed and don't function like real dampers. So between the two, there are some things about the Tamiya kit where I think "I wish they did this like Meng", and vice versa. That said, the Tamiya kit is 45 years old which blows my mind because IMO it is a standard bearer by TODAY'S standards, much less those of 1976. The 934 engine definitely has more detail, but I think that is more due to the subject - how detailed is a big block pushrod engine vs the turbocharged Porsche flat 6? Meng did nail it on the exhaust pipes. Best exhaust pipes I've ever worked with and well detailed and accurate.

I don't see a problem with the doors being too rounded but the space between the tops of the doors is too narrow, but this would never be an issue if it wasn't for the roof stripes. First thing I noticed was the kit decals have big chunks taken out of them for the doors and no corresponding part to go on the door. This gave me reason to look at reference photos and I noticed that the stripes never encroach on the doors. It also appears the the stripes themselves were too wide, but I also could see that if I made the stripes narrow enough to fit in the space available, they'd be too narrow. When I did my version of the decals I compromised - made them more narrow and only slightly encroaching on the door. (On the real car it looks like they do encroach the air dam on the door, but do not go past it.) But if the car didn't have roof stripes I doubt the door issue would have ever been noticed. All-in-all I really like the kit and in today's model car world to come out with a newly engineered 1/12 scale kit, I'd say I got my money's worth. To me the only shortcomings are the use of vinyl vs braided hose, and the decals, and quite frankly (and for purely selfish reasons) I was pleased to see they botched the decals so badly. :lol:

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Ah thank you for the update / your opinion on the kit. My biggest issues with the Meng kit (without!!! having it in hand) are:
- shape of the headlights
- shape of the nose from just underneath the headlights towards the very tip of the bonnet
- shape of the doors (topside)

As for the stripes. A quick dive into my own archives found this - Alan Mann car ('66 Sebring). My assumption is that the center two stripes on the car would be somewhat similar in width and position in line with the factory cars. You can clearly see them go over the door bits. That, I guess, should be par for the cars with the wide stripes. Smaller stripes, of course, will have different mileage and may just touch the damn. In some photos (hard to see really) it almost looks like the driverside door would be slightly more covered / different shape than the passenger door - after all only the driver side had the Gurney bubble :).
1966sebring12hrs25fordgxn6.jpg
After all I think all of them cover the vents at the rear of the cabin as shown in the second picture... So depending on the position of these in the kit...
1966_Ford_GT40MarkII15.jpg
Cheers,
Roman

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

I think a perfect kit did not exist.
Don't matters how expensive it is there are always parts or shape that are not right. Sometimes it has something to do with the molding making or sometimes with the cost of the kit at the end.
Thanks to the company who is willing to release a new kit in 1/12 instead of searching for all the mistakes. Not every modeler is a rivet counter like we sometimes do.
In 99,9% of all builds the mistakes can't be seen by a normal non modelling person. Why do we always critics a new kit?
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com