GT40 lovers, start your drooling

Post away...

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: GT40 lovers, start your drooling

Post by Chinamalc »

Last edited by Chinamalc on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Last edited by Chinamalc on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

5O shades of black to me.
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I am gathering the real car was repainted restored or is no longer available in strictly original appearance? I have seen stuff on youtube from the Carol Shelby Museum claiming that it has the ken miles gt40. Did they restore and repaint? I think you can take your pick of a very dark blue or black but unless someone knows I or has the ability to prove the correct collor might as well go with the markings available to me. Wim has went to great lengths for example his Martini replacement decals when he knows he can do something better. Convince him and I bet he would make a replacement. I am thankful for those who posted the photos above so we could get some solid references. I am overdue for a GT40 build myself.

One of my first model builds that I failed and has for ever evaded me was doing a detailed Fujimi GT40 of what I thought was the proper lemans winner of 1966. to me know the real guy was Ken Miles and the 1 car.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Chinamalc wrote: Sorry I don't agree, have exhibit B, I have more that show blue stripes, they are taken at different times by different photographers and I can't believe the colour balance is incorrect in all of them. As you say, compare the blue stripes on the bonnet (hood) and nose on your colour adjusted pic with the dash top and screen surround or headlight surround, the stripes still look blue, albeit a darker blue. The blue on the car sides is even darker because of the light direction from above
1966-lm-1-ford_media-1zjxo small.jpg
M.
I hope I got the quotes sorted right. I'm with Wim here. Just look at the colour balance of the white advert behind the car. I suppose this is a "Mobil 1" ad, and as such would have black lettering on white base. In your picture the white is not white, but rather off white with a blueish tint on the right (behind the person in the shadow) and something approaching a yellowish tint on the left around the "M".
Chinamalc wrote:Exhibit C
As you say compare the circle with something you know is black nearby, as in the side window surround, arguably I should have posted this first as the door is in direct sunlight
200420114547221353.jpg
Exhibit D -
1966-lm-1-0050yjmk.jpg
M.
Exhibit C:
Just have a look at the "Ford" atop the pitbox - looks blue to me. Shouldn't that be black as well? If it is black then I wonder what colour correcting that would do to the colour of the circle. Change it the same way, from blue to black is my guess...

Exhibit D:
This one would have me, again, quote the colours of the adverts in the background. In particular the Esso one with "Mettez un tigre dan votre moteur" (I think everywhere else it was quoted as put a tiger in your tank, here it's motor). Anyway, that lettering is black as well. Ahem. And as you can see that picture is a scan where the picture on the flip side is shining through. You can see how it changes colours just on the border of the "i" in TRICO and just aft of the rear wheel and before the exhaust. Also not the white stripe demarking the border between grass verge and tarmac. The near side stripe is not pure white. The same can be said for the "1" circle (yellowish) and the stripe running along the rocker panel.
On the topic of the rocker panel, I would say the Ford and the darker stripes running top and bottom of the supposedly white strip are looking blueish as well. Oh and as for the continued blue shift - have a look at the bronzish wheels - don't really look bronze to me, at least not anywhere near the colour they are always depicted with a strong bright red-brown colour. This one looks different (colour tint ftw).

The problem with old photographs is that, depending on which brand of film was used, you get different colour tints. I believe Kodak always had a reddish tint, others blue, green etc. Which is why it is rather difficult guesstimating the correct colours, especially if the source film is not known and also what light setting (overcast, cloudy, bright sunshine, etc..) was on at the time

/edit ok. quoting didn't work as I had hoped - the images are not quoted. BALLS!
Cheers,
Roman

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

This discussion about blue or black stripes hasn't any sense. No chance to know only analyzing period pictures. The answer can be gotten only asking to the Shelby Museum and assuming that the restoration was done carefully in this aspect. Any of the American members could make a phone call and ask. Museum personnel usually are very friendly and probably there will be no problem to get a picture showing the stripes with something black beside to compare

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

Joaquin wrote:This discussion about blue or black stripes hasn't any sense. No chance to know only analyzing period pictures. The answer can be gotten only asking to the Shelby Museum and assuming that the restoration was done carefully in this aspect. Any of the American members could make a phone call and ask. Museum personnel usually are very friendly and probably there will be no problem to get a picture showing the stripes with something black beside to compare
ah, no... Serie of multiple yes yes yes + 1 uncertain item (=assuming restoration...) would mark whole serie as uncertain.
There are math rules about how to combine tolerances (yes/no being biggest tolerance possible) which should be respected.
See: http://faculty.washington.edu/fscholz/D ... at498B.pdf

Guess only way we will ever know is period correct picture with black/blue stripes next to object with known black/blue color.
A bit like Sky1911 tries to do, as well as i try to do. Back-engineering, quoi!

Wim
Now also on Facebook ...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

There is no math that can confirm a colour, even the pictures are taken on different light settings or film suppliers. Each experienced pro car painter will copy this and with an educated and experienced eye you see clearly that the stripes as well as the roundings on the numbers are simply dark blue and not black.
Do you realy think that a pro painter will use a colour that does not match the original to do a restauration of a million dollar car?? Hell no!
Take a stand!

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

gp-models wrote:There is no math that can confirm a colour, even the pictures are taken on different light settings or film suppliers. Each experienced pro car painter will copy this and with an educated and experienced eye you see clearly that the stripes as well as the roundings on the numbers are simply dark blue and not black.
Do you realy think that a pro painter will use a colour that does not match the original to do a restauration of a million dollar car?? Hell no!
I did not say math will confirm color, i only said logic Joaquin uses is incorrect.
And, if restored cars count, well then...

And if that 'black' is 'blue' - i hear you coming ;-), than black is ok for me on scale model.

Also, if black/blue discussion would end in consensus, how about red/fluo discussion? :D :D :D

wim
Now also on Facebook ...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Yes Wim, hear me calling this blue and none black.
I`ve been doing this job now for close to 30 years and i say it`s dark blue. Seen you writing that you know an experienced car painter who can judge about pics what colour it is, asked him and he surely will copy this. Show him any pic you have and he will judge the same. I can see clearly the difference in between the Numbers which are for sure black and the stripes and roundings, it might be hard for a none educated and experienced eye to see, but i would be a fortune on it! Otherwise i can post pics from the restored version where it is more clear then the one your showing up.
Take a stand!