ElectricRodeo1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jaguar F1
United States of America

Yahoo Auction Japan

Post by ElectricRodeo1 »

Hello all,

Any vets out there of the Yahoo Japan Auction give a rook some advice? Is there a consensus “best” 3rd party or middle man? Should I even bother with it period? Really anything you could tell me about your experiences would be a big help.

Thanks to all,
Jeff

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: Yahoo Auction Japan

Post by lezdep »

I have been using buyee.jp proxy service for years and pretty happy with their services. Just don't expect combined shipping be cheaper. It's actually more
expensive nowadays. I also feel yahoo japan auctions is one of few rare places left where you could actually find reasonable deals. In fact most of the
kits I've sold here, were bought from a yahoo japan auctions in the past. That's why my prices were good, imho. If you have more questions, send me PM.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

I've used Buyee a few times with success, the process is quite easy and straightforward, the only difficult thing is that you won't get a shipping quote until after you've ordered the item. I live in Canada and the shipping + handling can definitely get close to $100CAD for 1-2 1/20 resin kits, so the only thing I'll advise is to only go after rare items and don't get sucked into the seemingly cheap and widely available plastic kits, because shipping will NOT be worth it. You can definitely snag deals on rare kits with it even with the shipping though so I'd still recommend it.
http://www.f1modelling.com

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Agree with everything said so far. I got suckered into the shipping issue a few times and couldn't combine shipping either. I bought a Revell McLaren MP4/20 and shipping was about the same as the item was ($40 each). It wasn't a deal after everything came out, but I also bought a relatively cheap item. From my trip to Japan last year, the prices are significantly lower there, so deals can definitely be found, I just wish I had a bigger suitcase when I went there!

lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

I've been using fromjapan for several years: https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/
No issues so far, items arrive well packaged, better than most online stores!

Only drawback is that you wont know the total price (including fees, commission and shipping to your home) until later. This is the 2nd payment you would have to make.
The first payment is just for the model kit + japan local shipping to fromjapan warehouse. You will only know the first payment initially.

So you would have to estimate roughly what's the total cost is gonna be, and decide from the beginning if its worth it. I generally just x2 the first payment.
For example, if a model kit + local japan shipping is USD 10, i just consider the total price to be USD 20. Its not exact science, but at least i have something to work with.

I also try to buy kits in bulk, that means several kits from 1 seller, selling at a lot. If you do this then the total payment will be shared by each kit, thus making each kit cheaper than buying them separately.
Try to compare with ebay as well. if it almost same price, i suggest you buy from ebay instead; less hassle.

Finally this site is unique, as some already mentioned, you can find really exotic stuffs, kits, transkits, partially built kits, decals etc. Most these stuffs i've never seen on ebay.
You will get carried away with spending.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Oh as a follow up to Buyee, I will say that having them combine the packages at the warehouse does not guarantee cheaper shipping. The process is frustrating: You have to blindly commit to combining the items without knowing how much money you'll be "saving". In my case, I "saved" about -$5 as the combined shipping ended up being more expensive than shipping the two items separately, with the added risk of making the package a more appealing target for customs agents lol. Just make sure you really want whatever you're ordering...
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
ElectricRodeo1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jaguar F1
United States of America

Post by ElectricRodeo1 »

Thank you all for your feedback. Looks like I have a lot of thinking to do.

Jeff

Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

Jeff

I have used Buyee A LOT over the past few weeks and would agree with all the points here; use it only to get rare items and don’t think that it will be cheaper than sourcing regular stuff locally, especially if you are combining shipping as Seb says

On the upside you can buy from Amazon jp too

Chris
"Flying is easy. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Douglas Adams

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

SebLeung wrote:Oh as a follow up to Buyee, I will say that having them combine the packages at the warehouse does not guarantee cheaper shipping. The process is frustrating: You have to blindly commit to combining the items without knowing how much money you'll be "saving". In my case, I "saved" about -$5 as the combined shipping ended up being more expensive than shipping the two items separately, with the added risk of making the package a more appealing target for customs agents lol. Just make sure you really want whatever you're ordering...
The last time I tried, I wasn't able to combine shipping on their site too.

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

Make sure to check the Japan Post Covid-19 policy, which is constantly updated.
News summary
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/infor ... ex_en.html
Sep. 11 update
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/infor ... ew_en.html

If Japan Post is not available, you might have to use FedEX or DHL, which tend to be a little more expensive than EMS.