AND KEKE DID IT...

Post away...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

AND KEKE DID IT...

Post by JamesB »

Yep guys, it was a day like today, just.... phheeewwwww.... 35 years ago.
Well, we still make models and have some hair!! :D :D

For me it was a quite imprtant championship, the first one I followed "full" and becoming (ahem) a pundit, thanks to press: blesses GPI magazine!!! :cry: :wink:
I had followed 1979-81 but with less ineterst, TV etc.

Arguably, 1982 was one of THOSE seasons, if not "DA SEASON". It had all: drama, sadly with two guys dead and another one injuried out of F1 sport, beautiful cars, the swansong of ground effect, also drama in the god sense, eleven (ELEVEN!!!!!! :shock: :shock: ) winners, 7 winning cars, even 8 if you consider BT49 and 50.
Incredible race ends, such as Monaco, Zeltweg or Zolder, driver status action in France (er ahem also at Imola), politics, soooo many things. 1981 and 1983 had a similar menu, but '82 is definitely on top.
I know many reject this season due to Gilles' loss, but also is the last time we saw him race.

And Keke? well, he got a bit by chance the available place at Williams, and though it was a sub par year for Didcot, they were there all the time and Rosberg managed to make the best of the turbo disaster and be the best of the Atmo squad.
At Las Vegas I was definitely rooting Wattie (love the underdogs), and yes, Elio at Austria.

At thta moment, it really looked hard to believe that Keke would not win another championship. So maybe, besides the fact he seized the chance, there might have been a certain justice (in what concerns Keke, of course and just in that!) in all those fate twists.

Forgot to say, we also saw the last of Mario in F1, the Lauda comeback (the title would also have suited him), the refueling stops, Reutemann's goodbye (what'd have happened, should he have stayed??), the madness of street circuits...

Anyway, 35 years ag, the Flying Finn did it. Happy anniversary, Keke

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: AND KEKE DID IT...

Post by generationx »

I had been watching F1 ever since it became fairly regular in the UK around the time of Hunt/Lauda in Japan 1976. But you are right James - this season was one that captured the imagination and I will never forget it.

I already had my hero (this season took him away) and the 126C2 will always be my favourite car but there were so many highlights this time. It was one year when a Ferrari driver should have taken the title, but the charismatic Keke was there to pick up the pieces.

A classic.

albrecae
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Adrian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Great Britain

Post by albrecae »

It was also the year we lost the great Colin Chapman.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Yes, and Keke & Sina made Nico, only living father/son Champions :) .

Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

Post by Jacques »

Oh yes James you are right. In my opinion the most dramatic and interesting F1 season I also had the chance to follow on the TV...don't forget Pironi and the strike of the pilots in South Africa...the last year of the ground effect cars with skirts...

Definitively for me too The Season !

Risks were at their highest level...nothing comparable to me with today's circus
Jacques