What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post away...

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post by CTurbert »

34 years old and I work as a team lead for an IT helpdesk. I've been building since my early 20's. I stopped building after moving to an apartment in ~2009 but recently resumed after moving to a larger space with room for a spray booth.

BenzBear300
F3
F3

Post by BenzBear300 »

I am a retired machinist . who worked in the motorsports field; IMSA ,SCCA , HSR , SVRA and others.
I now devote most of time to building models (PRE-90s F1 , sportscars , motorcycles ) and other interests that are related to the hobby.

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

I’m new to the group, just got back into this hobby after spending 40 years on Wall Street. Glad to be retired, so I divide up my time between enjoying the desert Southwestern US and trying to “sneak” some space for the projects. Currently, the assembly floor is the kitchen counter, while the garage sets up for painting, soldering, etc. it’s all too small, so my kit has to be shoved into a closet periodically to clean up my space. It works, though.

Ahatr
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Ahatr »

This thread seems a little dead but I'll post anyway,

I'm a 20 year old University student studying History and Political Science, I graduate next year and don't currently work full time. I've been modelling for about 10ish years. The vast majority of models I've built have been tanks and planes and only recently I've decided to shift to F1.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Ahatr wrote:The vast majority of models I've built have been tanks and planes and only recently I've decided to shift to F1.
Wise decision may I say!!! :lol: :lol:
Don't give up the pigments and the oils nevertheless :wink: I recently discovered that and lots of fun!

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Hello, I'm 48 years old and stuck together in my childhood models!?! At that time I could not afford any colors, etc. That's why none of these models has survived the time. When I started my apprenticeship as a car mechanic I did not have time to build. It was only about 10 years ago that I began to build models. Most F1, DTM and a bike. 1 to 2 models I have done in a year since I had time to build. In September 2015, I had a serious accident at work. With work, it will probably be nothing more so I resumed my hobby. At the moment I am building at the P34 of MFH in the scale 1:12. Unfortunately, it is progressing very slowly but when the time is right I will upload pictures of the building.

Wish you all a nice Easter

Martin
Seema

Papalou
F2
F2

Post by Papalou »

Great question and love the replies :)

Well, I'm almost 74 and retired from the aviation industry (no, not a pilot). I used to do semi-pro photography (mostly IMSA) and built 2 cars around 1980. Had not touched a model car until 2010 when I retired and moved to North Carolina. I also play a lot of chess and have a wonderful Bernese Mountain Dog

I only build the 1/12 scale and my biggest problem I have had is learning to be patient and not try to do too much at once.

What I really enjoy is building models that I have seen race and have pictures of - gives an added bit of pleasure. Also what is nice is the decal market so you can change the livery on the car. I've done that with a 934 and 935.

This is a great site and good people

cheers
Lou Kirk

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Post by MPK »

Hi everyone

As this is my first posting to forum, let me introduce myself shortly. I’m Matti, I live in Helsinki, Finland and I work as a project manager in construction company. I just turned 50 and coming back after some 20 year hiatus from scale modelling. My stash of unbuilt kits consists of 1/43, 1/24, 1/20, 1/16 and 1/12 racing car and detail kits. My eyesight isn’t what it used to be, so I have to concentrate on larger scale kits, super-detailing 1/43 F-1 and GrB rally car kits is simply out of my reach. At the moment I'm trying to getting started again in 1/12 scale with a couple of Caterhams before attacking MFH and Tamiya kits with TVF1/TS detail sets.
Matti

vintagethunder
Formula e
Formula e

Post by vintagethunder »

61 years old. Former soldier, graphic designer and factory worker. Currently a teacher's aide at an elementary school. Retiring next summer. Planning to do some substitute teaching, get back into track marshalling, motorcycling touring, and hit the kit stash.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

After 25 years working in Hollywood and 5 years owning a daycare, I am flipping houses. I have an open house in 4 hours. Asking close to a million bucks and I’m trying not to crap my pants.