What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post away...

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post by Eagle50 »

wargrider wrote:... I'm a dentist, so I can practice some of skills every days ^^...
I've asked my dentist about some of the interesting glues, quick-hardening resins, and tools he uses. They (and a dentist's skills) do seem useful for modelling. But wow, they're much more expensive than modelling supplies! LOL

Cheers, Chris

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I am 46 years old, I am an attorney that mainly does transactional real estate, I am active in my son's Boy Scout Troop as an adult committee member and I build scale models and hang out in my basement in my spare time. I started putting models together when I was about 6 and have been hooked ever since. I never have stopped I have had times when I did less and times when I did more. In the last couple years it has become more constant.

wargrider
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jean-Michel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Switzerland

Post by wargrider »

Eagle50 wrote:
wargrider wrote:... I'm a dentist, so I can practice some of skills every days ^^...
I've asked my dentist about some of the interesting glues, quick-hardening resins, and tools he uses. They (and a dentist's skills) do seem useful for modelling. But wow, they're much more expensive than modelling supplies! LOL

Cheers, Chris

I use some of my tools for modeling, like old tools used to shape composite. Our resin based (light cured) are too expensive for modeling ^^
I also use a sandblaster I have in my cabinet, very useful before painting sometimes and of course old drills!

F1Noob
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1Noob »

wargrider wrote:
Eagle50 wrote:

Cheers, Chris

I use some of my tools for modeling, like old tools used to shape composite. Our resin based (light cured) are too expensive for modeling ^^
I also use a sandblaster I have in my cabinet, very useful before painting sometimes and of course old drills!

I sell a UV light-cured resin kit for an entirely different industry. 1 kit with 2 UV lights and 4 small syringes of resin runs about $100, or $29.50 for a single syringe. Each syringe has 3cc's of resin.

I am just curious how this compares in cost with what you use. What you use I am sure is stronger. I haven't tried our stuff on models yet, but once i get my new bench set up, I will be playing with it a bit.

wargrider
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jean-Michel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Switzerland

Post by wargrider »

a syringe with 3cc would be around 60$
but we don't use UV light, it's a specific light, ad it costs between 800 to 1500$ for the lamp :lol:

ubik801
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ubik801 »

retired now but in another life i was a paramedic/registered nurse. flight certified, advanced life support certified. now medically retired due to a broken neck. now i have time to build models but can't decide where to begin.
don sprague
ubik801

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

wargrider wrote:a syringe with 3cc would be around 60$
but we don't use UV light, it's a specific light, ad it costs between 800 to 1500$ for the lamp :lol:
Yes, I took note of the light-curing resin that my dentist uses. But at those prices, I'll still with modelling supplies!! :D

Cheers, Chris

AnnaElizabeth
Formula e
Formula e

Post by AnnaElizabeth »

Well, I will admit to being 40+, and I'm Disabled. I am the "go-to" for fashion & cosmetics advice in my circle of friends, and I'll be immodest and admit that perfect strangers approach me to get fashion tips.

Other than that, I love scale models of all types, and painting miniatures for wargames, both science fiction and historical.
28mm figurine of Sir Michael Caine portraying "Leftenant Bromhead" from the movie "Zulu!"
28mm figurine of Sir Michael Caine portraying "Leftenant Bromhead" from the movie "Zulu!"
1/48 Mercenary "Sisters of Mayhem" fire support team from "Dust 1947". The woman in the bikini is a conversion.
1/48 Mercenary "Sisters of Mayhem" fire support team from "Dust 1947". The woman in the bikini is a conversion.
sistersofmayhemc4.jpg (104.89 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
~I wanna be the only one to make it to the light
Take it to the edge where I have died a thousand times
And maybe I could be the one
To ride into the setting sun tonight
Just drive~

waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

Post by waxdart »

We seem to be having a theme here as I am freshly retired, (end of February) and it was medically required as I am now disabled. Before that I was a mailman for 31 years. Early last year I got throat cancer and have been fighting it for a year now. Finally feeling a lot stronger and through my working years I said "I can't wait till I'm retired so I can start building some of the stash." I started that last week. We are having a 1 to 1 scale house built so scale modeling might be a bit spread out for this year but the new spread has a dedicated model room so I am really excited about that. Hope to post some builds here in the future. Have always enjoyed this group as I find the folks on here very helpful and talented. Tim Keily

AVG7
F2
F2
Your Name: Armand
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM Tyrrell Gold Leaf Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by AVG7 »

I'm 63, been a modeler since age 7 or so. I work as an installer for an automotive air conditioning company. We add complete AC systems to cool/heat the passenger compartments of shuttle buses, limos and the like. I have been with this company for 30 years. Still enjoy the work! I discovered road racing in 1965, been a nut for it ever since. The little picture here is one of the thrills of my adult life, I got to sit in the Chaparral 2F many years ago, Troy Rogers took the photo.