Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Isn't F1 a bit of a joke these days?

Post by Orso »

I had plans to go down to a sports bar to see the race today as it is the only way I can access an F1 race but decided not to as I didn't fancy seeing the red cows win.
F1 must be boring to look at , the winner lapped all but three cars. Very exiting!
Not to mention the 107% rule. Why have one when eveybody can start anyway. Isn't it two races in a row where cars not qualifying in the 107% time limit were allowed to start?
I don't feel so sad anymore not being able to watch the races on TV.

Björn

baggen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Sweden

Re: Isn't F1 a bit of a joke these days?

Post by baggen »

I have to agree with you, Björn. My interest for the sport is really low these days. Even thou that I have the opportunity to watch the race live on internet, I prefer to spend those hours on something else. And that's sad!

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

I see it in a different way.
Watching is more funny than in the last couple of years.
The races are more exciting with a lot of overtaking.
You are right that the red cow are the best car,and seb the best driver,but behind them ther are a lot of good action.

Do you remenber the time when senna and prost are winning 15 of 16 races?
That was boring to watch.

But today there is a lot of action with wheel changes and overtaking.
I like it a lot.
The race in barcelona where in the last years over after the second lap.
The man on pole wins the start,and everybody drives behind him without a change to overtake.
Today it was a very good races with massive action,even the first two cars are very close together.
What do you want more?

Kind Regards
Christian

I hope you understand my simple english?
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

Far too many pit stops - so artificial.

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

To some DRS and KERS plus tire wear is a bit much. I personally could do w/o DRS. But today we had a fun race to watch in which the DRS didn't actually make any difference at all. Maybe we could also have less pit stops, but overall, it makes for fun races.

What I don't understand is how can you judge a race without even watching it?!
Doesn't make any sense to me at all, but hey, if you don't want to see them based on your post, that's ok you can't see them I guess.
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

capri-schorsch wrote:Do you remenber the time when senna and prost are winning 15 of 16 races?
No, it was not boring. They had equal equipment and no team orders. They were both superfast and they were typically racing wheel to wheel taking no prisoners and did not accept to loose.
Problem this year is the fact the Webber has been no match for Vettel. And Vettel has made no mistakes and had no bad luck.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

I would not say so. I don't really like all the artificial things which were introduced to spice things up. But the races mostly stay interesting until the end whereas during the last years things were basically decided once everyone had made the last stop. If one does not like the blue bisons then obviously the results won't please you at the moment. But then, during the races their cars are not that overwhelmingly superior. Their winning streak is more than anything down to a very good driver. Currently only Lewis Hamilton is a match for Sebastian Vettel.

Regarding the 107% rule this was introduced to prevent cars and drivers which were not up to the job to participate in the race. You definitly can not say that about Kobayashi and Heidfeld who are regular point scorer. So nothing of a joke there either.
Husker wrote:What I don't understand is how can you judge a race without even watching it?!
That would be my question too. Todays race surely was not boring even if there was no massive overtaking inflation as lately in Istanbul. Apart from the race at the very front there was the great drive of Nick Heidfeld. And the fact that only four drivers were in one lap at the end does not make it boring.

capri-schorsch wrote:Do you remenber the time when senna and prost are winning 15 of 16 races?
If you were either a Prost or Senna fan even that was not boring. There were simply the two best racing drivers battling it out with very differing styles having the best car at their disposal. This was fascinating too.

F1RacerFan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1RacerFan »

I don't think it's a joke. I look forward to each race and watch practice and qualy and race. I get together with 2 friends and text 2 other during the race. It helps to have other fans to gab with about racing- but I do not think it's a joke. I think that there are 8 or 10 immensely talented guys in the cars- and I think the mid pack racing is extraordinary. I've been watching since '88 and there have been teams and cars that dominate for a few years each since that time- but- except for the Ferrari years there have always been 2 or 3 teams that could win any race with a little luck- and some good strategy. Today's race ended with 6/10s between P1 and P2! I think KERS is good technology development because I feel that we'll eventually have it on passenger car and I think that DRS adds something to the overtaking. I think there were 60 overtaking moves in Turkey. There were eras that I liked better than others- but- I do not think it's a joke now. I loved the Senna /Prost era and I liked Mika's dominance in his Newey machine. There's the constant- Adrian Newey . He is worth every penny that he makes. His cars are always beautiful- and always the epitome of aerodynamic grace. Vettel in a Newey designed car is gonna' be hard to beat. I also think that when Pirelli gets a better design into the tires, pit stops will be reduced a little. Probably 2 tire makers vying for the title would light a fire better. I'm happy with the racing right now- just unhappy with BE and the money wedge- and the potential loss of some great racetracks. I think the sport would lose something without Spa and Suzuka, for example. That's just my opinion.
Michael in Pennsylvania

Habu12
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Habu12 »

"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well...you can fly very high"-Ayrton Senna

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I agree that you shouldn't really judge if you haven't watched the races but I've seen enough of them this year to think something isn't quite right. It's been slowly going wrong over a number of years, I'm not talking about the regular tinkering with the rules. That's been a constant of Motor Sport since regulations were first written and is neccesary to keep pace with technology. What I do object to is the false closing of the gap between teams by restricting the areas of innovation, again I fully undersatnd why. Finance . I just prefer a team to be caught rather than held back. As for the tyres, again a degree of pantomine is introduced by the wear rate. I kind of aggree with the principle but they should last longer than they do currently. I will still be watching Monaco though, every practice/Qualifiying and Race lap because it's still the big challenge. Bring it on.