3D Scanner Advise Needed

Post away...

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

3D Scanner Advise Needed

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Does anyone have an opinion on this 3D scanner??

I'm considering the purchase but would like an educated opinion on if this scanner will be suited to scan 1/43rd and 1/24th scale models and capture their details good enough for reprinting on my 3D printer.

Thanks for any constructive input!!

https://scandimension.com/?gclid=CjwKCA ... 7sQAvD_BwE
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Re: 3D Scanner Advise Needed

Post by steinietrabi »

The quality of most scanners is quite good, but the data that are output are always only raw data and always have to be post-processed in a complex manner.
We only had the topic yesterday in connection with the prints of the AMR21 or the MCL35M - editing mesh data is very difficult.

I have already considered buying it, but until now I have repeatedly abandoned it due to the high price and the mentioned quality of the output data.

Since we always set the bar very high in model construction when it comes to accuracy, this is a big issue here. For example, if you only scan something to adapt a new component to the installation space as best as possible, but the new component is then correctly designed again, it is something different than when you scan a component/model to print it, then the reconstruction of the data/reverse engineering completely different elaborate.

The accuracy of your chosen scanners is 0.1mm. That would be too little for me again. My printer can output a resolution of 0.03-0.05mm well - but the scan would only be a maximum of 0.1mm - rather worse - then you could also print FFF again and would not need an SLA / resin print.

I hope I was able to help you with this - this is definitely an interesting topic, but I think it will take a while before it is used in the home hobby rooms. Good devices really still cost a lot of money and are only used in industry - I have to do with them every day in my measuring room... :D
Greetings Thomas

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Interesting topic. I really love to have a 3D scanner but gave up on looking for now because there is nothing I could afford and all those hand or turntable scanners are not good enough, especially for 1/43 !!
One thing I think about is maybe scan a 1/24 or 1/12 model and devlop update kits for it becasue now you have the perfect proportions.

And like mentioned before the data you get is massive and needs to be rebuild.
I have a few projects in mind were I could use scanning and maybe will rent me a professional scanner one day...let's see :)

Maybe this will give you an insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwxB-2n8gc

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

The last comment on the YouTube review made it clear to me not to even consider this product:
pepelepe wrote:10 reasons why not to buy SOL 3D Scanner
- slow proces - don't be fooled with adv films - they are timelapse
- confict with other USB equipment (COM port conflicts)
- need two USB ports (with high power) instead one USB and Power Supply
- two different USB plugs - why !!
- short cables
- problematic startup - software quit if scanner is not detected
- privacy problems - software cannot run without Internet - what data are sent and what for ?
- many errors during work "cannot detect USB camera, turntable problem, laser position..........dozens ot them)
- disconnecting (or turning off) any other USB devices (using other COM's) will stop scanning proces, create warning and shut the program !!!!
Not being able to run the device without internet means that apart from the obvious privacy problem, it also means that if the company goes bust, so too does the scanner that you bought.
The USB conflicts means the programmers played fast and loose with specs and had shoody programming practices. Who is to say this will work after an OS or security update?
And combined this means this was either a very rushed product, or the company is simply going for a bunch of fast sales, and not caring for any long term quality.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)