daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

IXO Collections 917

Post by daves »

I have never been prone to purchasing any of the one box a month series. I have been tempted by the occasional Star Wars kit like the very large Millennium Falcon or the R2-D2. So far I have passed. Up until now.
I discovered the IXO Collections 1/8th 917 and it is the #20 Gulf car. I just received box 3. I have to admit it is pretty cool. Not as "toy like" as I suspected. So far the quality is very good. It is fun after building several MFH 917's
to see the parts I am so familiar with in 1/8th scale. For those of you not in the EU or in the UK, it is more cost effective to not subscribe and to order on your own monthly. You save on the taxes and shipping. This advise came from one of the customer service reps.
My first box was on the subscription program and was double the cost. Now I order around the middle of the month, maybe every two months. Takes a about a week to come to Hawaii, which is fast. I do not think I will do a WIP, because there are many on YouTube. World of Wayne is a good one. After two years of monthly kits it will be on the shelf with my other 917's.
Is anyone else out there tempted into building this monster?

Dave

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Re: IXO Collections 917

Post by F1tommy »

That's the same people who do the 1/24th rally and F1 models, Hachette. They work under the IXO name also and are starting to sell the rally cars in 1/24th under IXO now. They have made around 10 1/8th cars. I have a friend collecting the 250 GTO and F40LM subscriptions. I know someone also collecting the Gulf GT40. Pretty nice stuff.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Yes! I want this kit, but I live in Los Angeles. I have bought many 1/8 kits from Model-Space and one from Agora. I have also bought 2 1/4 Valentino Rossi bikes. Some are better builds that others. I am working on a 427 Cobra from Agora. I am waiting on pack 10, so 2 left. I just started the build and while basic in some areas, the bodywork I have so far is very good paint quality. I was going to strip it down and paint it another color, but it’s just too damn good. Hated the MP4/23. Overly complex and just an ugly car. I sold it for a steep loss to a fellow F1M member to build. So far, nothing else from Agora interests me. What I want is the F40LM, the 917, 250GTO and the Veyron. Sucks that we do not have the same access to these kits. The upside to Agora is they ship worldwide.

I only build 1/8-1/4 and would love to know who you get these from. I know people think they are just big toys, but if you’ve build a good 1/8 kit, you would argue that point. The detail you can add is endless with RB motion, TVF1, and all the various parts you can make yourself.

Topic author
daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

IXO ships to the USA. I live in Hawaii. Takes a little over a week for the 917 boxes to come.
Dave

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

I'm torn. To be honest, I would probably like a 1/8 scale 917, sucker for that one apparently. I'm just wondering how many "boxes" there are. On going from the 917 tab to the general IXO boxes on their homepage you can see a 205 GTI which seems fun, because it was the kind of car I had during my student days. However, I seem not to be too awake this morning to find how many boxes in total there will be - of either car. It would also seem, for the GTI anyway, that there are currently 15 boxes with the majority going for 50 a pop. Packs of 5 go for 250. So as it is that thing is now at or around the 750 mark and I think there are a few pieces (bodywork) missing from thumbing through the boxes. I guess what I'm trying to say is what is the overall price for one such puppy out of the box, disregarding that detailing it up will likely get you close to doubling the initial kit cost. Also in particular the shots of the engine haven't really impressed me - but then we (I) have been spoiled by Uli's 1/6 engine :)
Cheers,
Roman

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

When scale is THAT big, normally you have a top notch model. OK, not with the level of fine stuff MFH would do, but...
I´d like to point it´s IXO and not Hachette who makes it. So just the opposite. IXO is what was born from originally portuguese Vitesse company migrating production to China. Eventually the China factory got independent and so IXO was born, with former know'how... and quite a bit more that was added, and susequenty has been added further more.
Hachette is just an editorial platform that also includes Spain´s SALVAT. Hachette gives brand and makes the ¨paper¨" stuff, but they order the models from China. Thoufgh actually, the same process happens and China company has found a cheaper way to migrate production. WRC cars are made in Bangla Desh, for instance.
Quality? Well, I´d really say that this old adaggio of "there are not good/bad brands, but good/bad models" fully applies to IXO´s approach. There seems to be different "teams", some put more, some less accuracy in their models. Bikes 1/12 collection was the clear example. Some bikes were really close to Minichamps level, some were avarage, some were really quite inaccurate.
Nevertheless I gotta praise IXO for waht they do. They make a huge variety of diecasts that are really at a plastic model level. Their WRC is REALLY nice.
Now we just need to convince them to MAKE A 1/20th F1 COLLECTION; PLEASE!!!! :D :D :D

PS. Roman, the final cost is usually around 1000- 1200eu for the full thing. You can always wait for the built models to be available at second hand market. Yamaha M1 (outstanding BTW) cost 1200 but can now be found between 400 and 600, as some f1m member will probably be able to tell you :lol: :lol: :wink: and these things are easy to disassemble again...

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

I build the "kit" too - quality is good, but detail level is toy like.
Big visible screws, missing or less detailed parts...
Enigne parts.

Gearbox - the ribs are to short and some are missing, big visible screws....

Drive shaft - the connectors on the rubber plate wrong located, the rubber part has wrong shape - tamiya has made in 1977 a much better drive shaft in 1/12.

Finally, the instructions names lot of parts wrong.

The subscription goes with 25 boxes.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Post by MPK »

SeanMAIN wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 am Yes! I want this kit, but I live in Los Angeles. I have bought many 1/8 kits from Model-Space and one from Agora. I have also bought 2 1/4 Valentino Rossi bikes. Some are better builds that others. I am working on a 427 Cobra from Agora. I am waiting on pack 10, so 2 left. I just started the build and while basic in some areas, the bodywork I have so far is very good paint quality. I was going to strip it down and paint it another color, but it’s just too damn good. Hated the MP4/23. Overly complex and just an ugly car. I sold it for a steep loss to a fellow F1M member to build. So far, nothing else from Agora interests me. What I want is the F40LM, the 917, 250GTO and the Veyron. Sucks that we do not have the same access to these kits. The upside to Agora is they ship worldwide.

I only build 1/8-1/4 and would love to know who you get these from. I know people think they are just big toys, but if you’ve build a good 1/8 kit, you would argue that point. The detail you can add is endless with RB motion, TVF1, and all the various parts you can make yourself.
Hi,

How would you rate the Agora 427 Cobra? I’ve been thinking of getting it, but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Which Model Space kits do you have? MP4/4, 312T4 and possibly Countach are the ones I’m interested in. F40LM and 250GTO are on my list too.
Matti

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

MPK, I have just started the Cobra, and I am not going to do much to this car other than some engine detail and I have dulled the shiny wheels. Otherwise, box stocks. I will receive the full body in the next shipment, pack 11 of 12. But what I have so far is really nice, especially the paint work. It is flawless. I’ll post some pics when I get a little further down the road. I am not doing a WIP, World of Wayne has that taken care of on YouTube. He is also building the F40.

I have the MP4-4, which is the best of the subscription car kits I have bought. The 1/4 bike have a lot of detail, but the should have. I don’t have the Lambo or the 312T4, but a friend does. The 312 is equally impressive. Not sure what’s going on at Model-Space. Almost all of their models have vanished from their site, but you can still buy the 312.

I will gain access to the F40LM and the 250GTO, but I have to get rid of some of the built models I have. I have run out of room to put them and and have 5 under construction.