jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

MHF Kits and the M19 Yardley

Post by jaws »

Wanted to add some things I learned about Model Factory Hiro kits after starting my very first MFH kit the Yardley M19
Discovered that pre-assembly is everything on the MFH kits. Somewhat like what I was just doing with a Gundam project to put things together then do the painting. In the case of the Gundam I had to pre-assemble sections, paint then assemble everything. Big difference with the MFH is you need to do the pre-assembly to be sure it all goes together. So Ya you really are building not just assembling a model. Sure see where these kits are for advanced modelers and having to be advanced in the craft to really bring the kit to life with so much added potential being multi-media.
Quick review of the M19 Yardley http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/new/en/archives/5745
Car is really fantastic and being the the 70's era lends itself to a very nice presentation without hiding everything under the hood if you know what I mean.
Main body parts are all resin with the majority of the car being white metal.
Nice machined wheels with white metal inserts for the center of the wheel that looks very true to the real car.
Tires are really nice MFH rubber without markings and are slicks.
Engine is a well cast Ford DFV with turned intake trumpets and a good wiring diagram. All fuel lines and such are included
Suspension has some minor issues with the rod ends being a bit out of scale. For sure too big and plan to replace then with turned rod ends form R&B Motion
Tub and drivers area are very well represented. Belts and interior all look convincing.
Some of the pot metal parts seem to have plenty of pits that were not visible till I cleaned the parts and after careful inspection.
Then we come to the rivet details. The body, rear wing and inside tub assembly have indented marks to simulate rivets.
Guess this is OK but really need to add rivets to get the full affect of this era of car. Plan to add rivets and use scale hardware .4MM rivets.
Already have drilled these out and kinda think a .5MM would maybe be a better size rivet. Research I did led me to use the .4MM as they are closest to the actual scale size.
Time will tell if I made the right choice in rivet size.
Will be using the Joe Honda #48 issue as reference along with other photos I have found.
Wish me luck on my FIRST MFH kit! Have two more planned after this one. And hope you find this info useful.

Happy Modeling,
Jeff

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: MHF Kits and the M19 Yardley

Post by jaydar »

Good luck!! The method that works for you the best, is the best. It sounds reasoned. Some methods are faster than others and you may want to consider preparing your parts in advance rather than by sub-assembly and painting same color parts at one time to cut down the number of air brush sessions. Just my $0.02.

As you already know, MFH kits have a lot of parts!!

Joe.