Ebbro MP 4-30 Middle Season

Kit reviews

Topic author
gregg
F3
F3

Ebbro MP 4-30 Middle Season

Post by gregg »

Just received this. The kit does not have the aerodynamic devices under the front suspension (like barge boards) like pictured in Piola's Technical Analysis 2014/2015 on page 115. This is of the early season MP 4-30. Did they not use these in the later MP 4-30?

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: Ebbro MP 4-30 Middle Season

Post by lezdep »

I think Ebbro actually modelled start of the season car. They only added new decals, gills to sides of cockpit and different top rear wing.
I suspect those are the only changes Ebbro added to call it mid season version. I am in progress of collecting reference photos. McLaren
started to use that black/dark grey paint in Spain first and already in Austria they had a different shorter nose. So, only races you can
correctly build with long nose and black paint are Spain, Monaco and Canada. However in Canada every F1 team used different wings.
So, really only Spain, Monaco and may be Austria's Button car are left. I have to check all the references to see if panels under front
suspension were already present in Spain and Monaco. With mine build I will attempt to represent Monaco car.

Edit: Just checked and already in Spain I can see those small winglets under front suspension. I guess I will just ignore them for my
build. Not an easy shape to scratch build.

Topic author
gregg
F3
F3

Post by gregg »

Check out the C sprue. There are two unused parts (#1 and #2). They look roughly like the aero devices that are missing

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

C1 and C2 are exactly the parts needed to add as under nose winglets. I was puzzling my mind with how to place
holes in under panel A8, but on closer examination I found out that Ebbro marked location of holes by small indentations
on onside of A8. I've just drilled holes through and C1/C2 winglets fit well. That's a nice detail to add for early/mid
season car.

Now the only parts that bother me are thick links between flaps of front wing's elements. They are way too thick for
the scale. But I guess Ebbro needed to make them this way, so front wing could be easily constructed of only a few
parts. PE links would look much better and closer to scale. However to allow a use of PE links, elements would have
to be separated and I cannot figure a way to assemble them back with proper alignment and strength.