F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Automodello Lotus 49 1/12

Post by Jimmy »

Any thoughts on this model? http://www.automodello.com/lotus49.html
From the pictures that I've seen, it looks like a Tamiya knockoff to me.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Automodello Lotus 49 1/12

Post by Icon_Modeler »

My thought is that the model you linked to is not a Tamiya knockoff at all it is a Tamiya model complete with the oversized engine to incase the electric motor from when the kit was originally released back in the 60's. I did not look at anything other then the pictures but are you sure the website is offering a kit or is it a building service?? :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Icon_Modeler wrote: are you sure the website is offering a kit or is it a building service?? :D
It's pre-built. http://www.diecasm.com/1967-lotus-49-jim-clark-1-12/ Supposedly there are 500 of them, so I can't really imagine they're actually just the Tamiya kit. Die cast copy of/based on the Tamiya kit, maybe? Weird.

Those tyres are really wonky looking, though.
Je ne regrette rien.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

900 $ ?? Scary :?

Alex.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Jimmy,

For the price which is being asked, I would seriously consider buying the kit instead. The kit is still widely available and was recently re-issued with some Photoetch and other extras.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

For lazy people like me, it was worth the cost; although there are some issues, the nose of the car rides too high and required a suspension adjustment. The display case is beautiful with a polished engraved nameplate.Automodello corrected added interior tub recess, they are on both sides where the kit will require modification. All the markings ar painted on, no decals, and the tire sidewalls are lettered and 'ringed' something hard to accomplish with decals.

Topic author
Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

My thought is that the model you linked to is not a Tamiya knockoff at all it is a Tamiya model complete with the oversized engine
That is what I thought too. The gearbox and exhaust supports are what caught my eye first. No, I take that back, here is what happened. I saw this model hyped in the new issue of Motorsport Magazine. Along with the car, they are also offering a model of the engine/gearbox/exhaust for $149: http://www.diecasm.com/1967-ford-3-litr ... -cam-1-12/. The photo of the engine is what tipped me off that this might really be a Tamiya knockoff in diecast disguise.

That said, here in the USA some manufacturers (of model railroad items) have used pictures of other manufacturers models to advertise their upcoming productions. Maybe that is what this is and the real thing might look a work of art, who knows? At this point, Automodello is not doing themselves any good with what they are showing. Again, that said, John Q. Public doesn't know the difference between his...
...and with only 499 of them being made, they may sell out.
I don't put any value in this limited run crap. They are only worth what the next fool will pay for them.
For the price which is being asked, I would seriously consider buying the kit instead.
If this diecast model is going to look just like the Tamiya model, yes, that is what I would do, but, I already have two of the kits, I don't need any more. The published quality that I am seeing is nowhere worth the price.
However, if this diecast model would have appeared to be of the late GMP quality, I might go for it. If that high of quality was present then I would just as soon buy the built up model than pay the same amount for something like a MFH kit.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Is it possible that they are just building 500 Tamiya kits?