Review: 1/12 MFH McLaren MP4/23 (Brazilian GP)

Kit reviews

Topic author
Aesthetic
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Wessel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, RedBull
Netherlands

Review: 1/12 MFH McLaren MP4/23 (Brazilian GP)

Post by Aesthetic »

Hi guys,

I thought it was about time I contributed something useful to this site, after all the things I've learned here. So I present to you my review of the 1/12 MFH McLaren MP4/23 (Brazilian GP).

Kit: McLaren MP4/23 (Brazilian GP)
Scale: 1/12
Manufacturer: Model Factory Hiro
Year of first release: 2013 (late december)

I bought this kit from Macs Modelling and received in only a few days. Very well packaged and in excellent condition. This is the black box the kit comes in:

Very stylish black as you can see. Next up is a picture of the instructions. There are only two pages as this is a curbside model. The instructions look kinda busy, but are easy to understand.

The first parts I want to show you are floor and the monocoque.

I was blown away by the size of these parts, here's a comparison with a 1/20 Lotus E20, to give you an idea of how big the parts really are:

The tires (and aluminium rims) are next. The Brazilian GP version comes with intermediate tires and these are absolutely stunning. The pictures don't do them justice at all.

Then there's a whole lot of beautifully cast white metal parts. Almost no clean-up needed and great details as you can see below:

And here some details:

And a size comparison, red parts are the Lotus E20 wing endplates and the white metal part is the McLaren frontwing endplate:

There are relatively few PE parts in this kit, here's the PE fret:

Then there are some more resin parts also very nicely cast and with sharp looking details:

One thing that really caught my eye, is the engine cowling, that comes with a PE part cast inside it:

And a size comparison with seats:

The decals are next:

As you can see in the following close-up, there are some CF decals that need a special undercoat (eg. gun metal) and some that don't need that undercoat. I think that this will give a very nice touch to all the CF parts on the model.

And last but not least, the seatbelt material and some screws to put this beast together:

All in all, I think this is a very beautiful kit and well worth the money. I think the pictures speak for themselves. I can´t wait to get started on this thing, but first I have to finish the Lotus E20. I will start a WIP for this kit as soon as I get to it.
Thanks for looking, I hope this was a useful review.

Cheers,
Wessel

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Re: Review: 1/12 MFH McLaren MP4/23 (Brazilian GP)

Post by allnie »

VERY nice review. Thanks. Challence will be the paint Work.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

So ugly...only a computer could make it! Thanks for the review. Fascinating example of what 'anything goes' windtunnel work can achieve. More 1/12ths to come and I can't afford them all, so I passed.Anyone else not buying this only because they don't like this era of car ? I look forward to your build and I hope someday to see one in person. If it was $250 I would have bought one.

15badcats
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by 15badcats »

I agree it's ugly but that's what made me want it The paint will make or break this model but it looks like it will be a fun build and a stunner if done right

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Thanks for the review mate !

Alex.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Amazing kits but boring subject, at least for me ;-) and I think it's to expensive for curbsite...although it looks to be an amazing kit.

I really can't understand why the don't blow up some of their smaller scales to 1/12?!?

daniel

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

jmpsebring wrote:So ugly...only a computer could make it! Thanks for the review. Fascinating example of what 'anything goes' windtunnel work can achieve.
I actually dig all the aero bits. It shows the evolution in understanding what it takes to go fast. It's not just a big motor an POWERRRRRRR!!!! It's bending the air to you will, cutting through more gracefully. I'm not sure I'd call it "pretty", but it is kinda cool, in a space age-ey kind of way.

Certainly better looking than the broken noses of past seasons, or the droopy dick for next year.
daniel wrote:I really can't understand why the don't blow up some of their smaller scales to 1/12?!?
Like the 917's. Or the McLaren F1s. They would make sooo many people sooo poor. :)
Je ne regrette rien.

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

nice review... got the kit yesterday! This was the last season with those aerodynamics so that was kinda a reason for me too, not pretty but I still like it just as much as looking at car from the 80's (just for different reasons obviously :))

Robban
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Robban »

Nice kit but still a bit odd that mfh continues to mold steeringwheels, brakes and more detailed parts in metal rather then resin, the detailing is a bit soft for my liking for the price you pay.

jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Post by jaws »

I like the car in the Monaco version better. It has a few less wings.
As mentioned I totally agree this kit is all about the paint! Will be interested if anyone has gotten the paint from MFH.
Your skills will be challenged because with this scale and doing a Silver paint job ANY and ALL mistakes will show up.
Thanks for posting the review!!!