Carbon Fiber Decals on 1/43 scale cars

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Carbon Fiber Decals on 1/43 scale cars

Post by dgwoodward2 »

What does everyone think of using carbon fiber decals on 1/43 scale cars? Focus is mainly on F1 and other open wheel racers. I know Tameo includes carbon patterns in their more modern F1 kits, but I have several newer version Indycars that I considering doing custom cutting of carbon decals for inner and under wing surfaces, the top of the undertray that is visible, etc. If you are a fan of carbon at this scale, what version carbon decals are you using? I have purchased some Tameo decals from our friends at spot model but wanted to poll the group for their favorites and thoughts. Thanks so much for your input.

pstager
F2
F2
Your Name: Pat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
United States of America

Re: Carbon Fiber Decals on 1/43 scale cars

Post by pstager »

In my opinion, CF at this scale runs a high risk of looking "cartoonish" with very big weave patterns (this is even a problem at the 1/24th and 1/20th level). That said, a thin layer of Tamiya X19 or something similar might settle it down a bit while still providing a noticeable pattern. I haven't seen Tameo's decals, so I can't say for sure how they'd fare.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Scale motorsport use to have them but I don't see them any more. I've used all 4 scales to simulate different weaves. I especially like the ones on clear decal film, I could spray different clear colors(like Tamiya smoke) over the top to get more depth.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I'm currently working on a 1/20 Ferrari SF70H with the Studio 27 carbon fiber set, and its likely one of the last times I'm using CF decals for a while. I think even in that larger scale they often are out of scale. It takes me forever to use the decals as well.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

i always use CF. i used to use 'Modellers' but they either stopped making it or went out of business or something. i have a few pieces left then i will be searching for a suitable replacement. i've found most of the 43rd stuff is way out of scale or way too bright. the subtler the better.

i think it adds a bit of visual interest but honestly, if the parts were just black, from 2 feet away, you wouldn't notice the difference.

notice there is CF on the steering wheels and on the red bull wheel...
Attachments
20004.jpg
top.jpg
MP4234.jpg
RB5e.jpg

donaldduck43
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Donald
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
South Africa

Post by donaldduck43 »

I've used MFH carbon pattern decal 4S (Code bdc-004) with success. it is such a fine weave that you have to look closely to see that the CF is represented. Used it on a BBR AudiA4 front spoiler with complex curves and it settled beautifully. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show at the moment.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Mr.Grumpy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:39 am i always use CF. i used to use 'Modellers' but they either stopped making it or went out of business or something. i have a few pieces left then i will be searching for a suitable replacement. i've found most of the 43rd stuff is way out of scale or way too bright. the subtler the better.

i think it adds a bit of visual interest but honestly, if the parts were just black, from 2 feet away, you wouldn't notice the difference.

notice there is CF on the steering wheels and on the red bull wheel...
Those models look great Mr. G, keep on posting more of this! :)
Renaissance has some nice stuff around, i used BBR carbon in the past and was quiet happy, only problem was it was barely visible, cause the pattern was so small. Don`t know if they produce them anymore but as mentioned, in 1:43 it is hard to achieve a scale matching look!
Take a stand!