Modern IndyCar "Scratchbuild"

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Modern IndyCar "Scratchbuild"

Post by dgwoodward2 »

So I had been going back and forth with myself whether or not to do a post on this. Well, one side finally won out and here it is. First, I love the 1/43 scale. Most times there is not quite as much detail, there are not many that do it, the subject matter can be limited, etc. But what it does do is exercise a different level of process in working with materials that not all builders might experience. That being said, I really wanted to build some version of a newer version IndyCar that was based on the ones that had previously been produced by Tameo and the late Colin Fraser. Since I have plenty of experience with those and even unbuilt versions in the closet, I decided to see what I could do to actually manufacturer a car that would be of similar materials and structure to those previously produced.

As a result, after fiddling with some very exceptional 3D prints available for purchase I decided to dive head on into making a car or two. The steps I have completed thus far are the following:

1. I purchased a 3D print in which I removed the suspension that was printed with the car and removed the undertray. I then used green stuff epoxy to do fill in the inside of the 3D print remaining (if you were not aware, 3D prints tend to be rather fragile. That way I have some to hold together. This will all be used to make a "master" that I have been practicing making silicone molds and then resin casting the final car. Still trying to get the main car right which is the current state in the pictures. Along with that I am scratch building the under tray from styrene and trying to get the proportions right for the diffuser and holes/vents on each side of the undertray. For this I actually used a schematic of the top of an indycar found online that I then drew out in Illustrator and printed it in 1/43 scale to get the proportions right.
Master Side.jpg
master bottom.jpg
2. Probably my biggest issue revolves around the suspension. Most 1/43 kits of Indycars are all based on photoetched stainless for which I have drawn out what I think the suspension should be in Illustrator and then use the MicroMark photoetch kit to see how good of a job I can do to make them. That won't happen for awhile but is part of the overall plan. The good thing is I have a kit of the Brickyard Models Takuma Sato 2016 winner which has an accurate suspension. While I could just use that on my resin creation, I do not want to kill the kit. Just in case, I am also trying to make molds of the existing kit's white metal suspension parts in the event the photo etching just doesn't work out.
master pe.jpg
3. Decals and markings are the easy part as Michael at IndyCals has plenty of potential liveries available in 1/43.

That is where I am on this adventure. If anyone out there has any similar experiences they can share to provide advice, etc. I am all ears. I always favor learning from others. Take care.
Last edited by dgwoodward2 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Modern IndyCar "Scratchbuild"

Post by stubeck »

Very cool idea, I'll be following this.

feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by feelgood »

Interesting, good luck! I will follow.

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by Formulamike »

cool project, follow this :)
Mike

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Updates on the status of this build. I have abandoned the concept of molding the white metal suspension pieces. I have tried it a couple of different ways, and just do not feel I can get them right so I will definitely be trying the photoetching kit.
master mold suspension.jpg
I also rebuilt the undertray to include the center section and a raised up portion around the sidepods to give a little more thickness. It gives it a more accurate look and makes the diffuser more prominent.
master undertray 1.jpg
master undertray 2.jpg

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Here is my latest update. Spent a lot of time working on the "master" and the planning of the mold. Wanted to do a two-part mold to make sure I was able to get the aero pieces in front of the rear wheels intact. Still some challenges around the top camera, but otherwise I think it is looking okay. Clean up is not too bad for it. I may actually make another mold using a fresh resin casting that I have cleaned up. no matter what, this has been a good learning experience and I definitely appreciate the work kit makers put into the craft.

Next step will be the photo-etched suspension. I am going to use the 3D printed wings that came with the original car I used for the master.
indy casting.jpg

waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

Post by waxdart »

That looks great!