WIP Ferrari F2003GA 1/24 Revell

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

WIP Ferrari F2003GA 1/24 Revell

Post by TC »

This is not a real time build report, and it's not going to be a master piece either: I am a slow and poorly skilled modeler! I started it some two years ago, but was held up again and again, but now I hope to be able to finish it in the next few days.

Here we go: I start with the body work which consists of quite a number of pieces, although the hood will not be detachable in the end.

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

you can see in the test fit that there are a number of junctions leaving huge gaps to be expected, and that is exactly what you see in the assembled body:

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

Here I got stuck for a while since I was not experienced with spray painting. I used to do everything with a paint brush. Small pieces I still do by hand:
forza Ferrari!!!

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

the exhaut pipes in the kit are solid rods! I cut them open with a knife – I didn’t have a drill then:
forza Ferrari!!!

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

while hesitating to spray paint the body, I assembled the engine and transmission - with much more detail than will be visible in the end! Still it’s not a very precise reporduction of the real thing :wink: that's simply not what you can expect of a Revell kit..
forza Ferrari!!!

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

many months passed, and in the meantime I was working hard on my Ph.D. while spending my spare time on a test case: in order to learn spray painting, I built the Sauber C22 1/24 Revell (http://www.f1m.com/classic/index.php?na ... 8151ec5673), which turned out quite satisfying to me. This gave me a lot of confidence, so I started filling and sanding the body, and gave it a first few layers of primer. As you see, not only my filling/sanding is insufficient, the primer also brings up strange lines in the mould that I didn’t see before.
forza Ferrari!!!

tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Thanks for sharing this build TC. Keep it up, I'll be following with interest.
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

The GA is truely the most gorgeous Ferrari of the Schumi era (at least).

Thanks for posting the pictures. it makes me want to get home and make progress on my 2% built version.

Good luck for the rest of the build.

thedt

Post by thedt »

don't sell yourself short brother! that is a great looking start. there are many of us who appreciate what you are doing with this "~diary". i've never done a 1:24 revell kit, but it looks like it is something that I might buy in to after my 1:12 kit. the problems would be half as big, right?

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

after letting the primer thoroughly dry for - roughly 1.5 years.... - I finally managed to continue! Another filling sanding session, and cutting holes in the sidepods where the grills are going to be, and I am prepaed for the next layers of primer. Note the irregularly shaped almost horizontal white line on the cockpit side close to the radiator opening: the putty solvent had softened the plastic, and I started to work on it before it had dried completely. The body was slightly warped, which you still can see after painting when you look closely (pics to come soon). The price of impatience!
forza Ferrari!!!