WIP Ferrari F2003GA 1/24 Revell

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

James B,What kit did you base the 248 on.I know in 1/24 you could use a cheap Revell
F2005 kit to start with.

TT/SD

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Hmm.... wanted to keep it hidden in order to avoid the "beginner/never ender" title, but the interest on scratchbuilding touches my sensitive fiber :-D
I thought a lot about it, I even thought of using a plastic ultra cheap car sold here that is exact as the F2002, at 1/20 of course. Then I thought of making a copy of an F2004. Finally I saw that I had a Red 5 F2004 and a Studio 27 one. Red five car has a body that is too much thinned up at the rear, very similar to 2005/6 cars, so I decided to make a copy of it so I can develop an F2006 and maybe others. I have added plaster so I can drill the sidepods openings. You'll see later. You can see in the pic the difference between the original F2004 shape and what I've done, removing some material. Also I will add some material outside the "fenders" which are too narrow.
I will probably do some cars from this dummy: At least the BAR008 and the two versions of the Midland, not that different.
sO i CAN DO DIFFERENT THINGS WITH THIS BODY WITHOUT DISTROYING IT.
I don't care having changed the real section, since it was not accurate either...
Maybe I'll do an F2005 with the body, I don't know.

flight
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by flight »

james....first of all,Compliments about ur "MAGIC"work!!!
This only for remember that ,If u doing bahrain or malaisyan version ok,but if u r doing version from San marino up to today,the small flaps and wings joined beside snorkel are part of body and not "changeble" like 2003-2004-2005 cars.
If u see,The shell logo on left and right body are cutted from line panel junction.
I hope u understood (Remember my english technical word !!LOL LOL)
Bye

SCHUMMY DON'T LEAVE US!!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

but if u r doing version from San marino up to today,the small flaps and wings joined beside snorkel are part of body and not "changeble" like 2003-2004-2005 cars.
Yes, I understand! Thanks, hadn't noticed. Good point.
Here's one more pic. It'll be easier to do a copy of what you see, where everything will be resin. Otherwise I'd have to add putty and then remove...
I'd like to have the car ready before last race... ;-)

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

Am I allowed to come back to 2003?!

“Some” progress during the week end – it wasn’t a long way to go left, and still the antennas on the nose have to be put in, but I don’t like the thick stuff of the kit, so I have to make something. Putting on the wheels was a bit tedious because of the stupid Revell standard snapping mechanism, so I had to widen the wheel hubs a bit. Decaling was a bit delicate sometimes, but most enjoyable. Let me tell you a true Saturday night miracle: can you see the red M@r!b*r* logo on the cockpit side? As you see, the red is different from the red of the car, you cannot just make a transparent decal with a white line. But this is exactly what the Tabu decals look like as long as they’re not on the car – they look transparent, not at all red! When I noticed that this M@r!b*r* logo actually was a different shade of red than the car, I was a little bit disappointed. Then I put the decal on, and suddenly the thing turned red, exactly the correct red! Did I mention that I truly love those Tabu decals?!? I consider it a great advantage that I had drilled open the side grills – the decals that go over it were not precisely shaped, but using some setting solution (actually I only use Mr. Mark Softer, which probably is what the name says, but not a real setting solution – I always push the decals on with a cotton bud) the decals crawled into the holes, and the result pleases me very much!! A little drawback is that the right front wheel hardly touches the ground – I was expecting this when I had assembled the front suspension which didn’t look completely straight, but I just couldn’t find a way around, so I left it, and as you can see in the pics it is not too obvious, is it? Maybe even worse than that are the terribly inaccurate brake cooling ducts on the front wheels. I’m not sure if I can still modify them, but if you planned to do this model, try to remove them, it shouldn’t be too difficult, and the result can only be a lot better! Since this is going to be a Monza version, I also have to make the China decals on the top of the scoop – I was thinking about recycling the unused headrest decals of the Revell set, or cut them from the white wing decals left over – any suggestions? By the way: I do have pics of the right hand side of the car showing it, and I can savely guess that it was on the left side as well, but does anybody have solid knowledge about that?!?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Am I allowed to come back to 2003?!
With such work, sure you are!!
Wonderful job, man!! ;-)

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Dave Sans
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Gooch »

Nice work it's been fun to watch your progress

Regards
Dave

flight
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by flight »

GOOD JOB TC!
Which color did u use for wheels?

SCHUMMY DON'T LEAVE US!!

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

flight wrote:GOOD JOB TC!
Which color did u use for wheels?
Thanks for the comments, but I don't think that I did a particularly good job. It's rather the stunningly beautiful car that turns this average built of a rather low quality kit into - imho - a pretty nice model. The wheels are BRUSH-painted with Model Master's gloss chrome silver enamel paint, which I use for all bright chrome silver parts, like exhausts and rear view mirrors. THat's probably not the correct tone of silver for the real car's wheels, but on the one hand I very much like the look, and on the other hand, from a distance of ca. 1m or more, and in diffuse light conditions, eg. daylight, it even looks quite realistic, since the highly polished chrome effect mostly turns up on direct spot lighting.
forza Ferrari!!!

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by TC »

the last chapters: I made new antennas using wire (actually, guitar strings, a tip from JamJam), the thicker top ends were made by drops of paint, and I also made a new windshield, again because the kit part was much too thick – the one you can see on the pics in the previous post made of thin transparent plastic sheet was glued on with special glue that doesn’t stain clear parts, but it doesn’t glue very well either. So I had to redo that thing, and decided to file down the windshield of the kit to the height of the cockpit wall thickness (so it doesn’t stick out), and glued a piece of the thin sheet to it, using super glue. Of course it became completely dull, but I painted it with clear coat, so that it became transparent again - at least almost completely, in any case it is now a lot better than the original part of the kit.