Latest update on Red5 MP4/20

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

Topic author

Latest update on Red5 MP4/20

Post by Guest »

Hello,

Check out the pictures on the following site for the latest update on MP4/20 progress:

http://www.putfile.com/haguemodels

It has been quite slow and painful sanding these parts down. Painful literally with my hands taking a beating trying to get into the crevices and get all the imperfections out. I will be trying to get some more sanding done tonight

Alex Hague

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: Latest update on Red5 MP4/20

Post by 43rdMichael »

good stuff Alex. Great to see that you are still persisting. Mine is packed up in the box at the moment. I might bust it out this weekend and try to push forward a little further. It certainly is a motivational challenge - especially now I know there are three SilverLine versions of this car coming in my favourite scale. Hmmm....

Anyhow, good luck with it!

cheers,
michael

Topic author

Post by Guest »

I someone making the orange test car version decals in 1/20? I would much prefer painting the car all one color - just don't want to do all this work on this car and then have problems painting the darn thing. Also Tamiya makes a great spray color for this, I think TS-56 from their 1/12 motoGP line of paints

Alex Hague

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Alex, thanks for updates. You're doing the hell of a job.
Is it possible to use folders on body parts ? Or there are
too many curves ? I guess sanding those parts is a big pain
in the arce. But you're doing much better than builder, who
built model for RED5. And your description of issues with WM
parts gives another prospective on that "demo" build. I think
the reason why paint looks so thick on "demo" model is that
modeler was in a hurry and just put a lot of putty and primer
and probably lot of paint too, just to cover all imperfections
in WM parts surfaces.

I'm glad you didn't give up on MP4/20. I believe your model will
come out much better than "demo" build.

I think RED5 will do test car decals in 1/20. But I don't know
if you will want to use them after all the frustrations related to the
kit.

Topic author
CeeElle

Post by CeeElle »

thanks,alex. i was daunted by this kit when i saw what a mess the castings are, but you've encouraged me. what did you do about the sloppy casting around the fuel fillers? or are you simply going to write those off and use the covers?

F1mechanic
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Netherlands

Post by F1mechanic »

Thanks for the updates. I think you are a brave man, to start this kit. But I have to say you're doing good sofar.

Though I can't help feeling dissappointed about the quality of the kit. This one is way to much for me. I hope the PS05 will be better.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alwin.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

About the fuel fillers.

I am going to try and drill out the lumps that are in both sides and see what I can do about smoothing them out, maybe very careful grinding with a dremel tool. I will then paint the area flat black and place the PE covers on them.

I would cover them with the fuel cap covers, but they are some of the roughest cast pieces in the kit. I just can't get a good picture of them because they are so small and the imperfections are not that noticeable by Camera.

Thank you for the kind comments. It has been more work than I expected. The hardest to get right will be the cowling - it still needs lots of work to get it right. And the four main inserts don't fill properly.

I still think that the Red 5 build looks great compared to what you have to start with, really.

Alex Hague

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Alex and others,

Here are a few photos of where I'm up to. I was having real difficulty getting the insides smooth, so I've cut sections of brass to line the interior. In the pictures, they are just sitting in place, so that is why there are still visible join lines. I'll glue and fill once I'm done with soldering as I figure the heat will hurt the glue and filler.

Otherwise, the parts are coming back together. You can see by the gap that I had to extend the monocoque a bit to get the airbox to line up and also have the front of the cockpit looking ok. I have to extend the front section a little as well, but it will come together. I'm also going to solder wire around the lip of the airbox to get a uniform opening. Still plenty ot work to get the bottom of the opening swuared up. Otherwise, lots and lots of sanding still to go. Can't believe that I'm still on the first two parts.....

http://photobucket.com/albums/c29/43rdMichael/

Happy modelling.
michael

A_C
F3
F3

Re: Latest update on Red5 MP4/20

Post by A_C »

Anonymous wrote:Hello,

Check out the pictures on the following site for the latest update on MP4/20 progress:

http://www.putfile.com/haguemodels

It has been quite slow and painful sanding these parts down. Painful literally with my hands taking a beating trying to get into the crevices and get all the imperfections out. I will be trying to get some more sanding done tonight

Alex Hague
Hi Alex,

Don't know why my browser could not display your latest update pics. Those files of the previous update are fine. Could you put them in other free pic site, like photobucket? or send them directly to me (ac8dl@yahoo.com)? I'm also struggling with this kit, so want to see more building references.

Thanks & Regards,
A_C

A_C
F3
F3

Post by A_C »

43rdMichael wrote:Alex and others,

Here are a few photos of where I'm up to. I was having real difficulty getting the insides smooth, so I've cut sections of brass to line the interior. In the pictures, they are just sitting in place, so that is why there are still visible join lines. I'll glue and fill once I'm done with soldering as I figure the heat will hurt the glue and filler.

Otherwise, the parts are coming back together. You can see by the gap that I had to extend the monocoque a bit to get the airbox to line up and also have the front of the cockpit looking ok. I have to extend the front section a little as well, but it will come together. I'm also going to solder wire around the lip of the airbox to get a uniform opening. Still plenty ot work to get the bottom of the opening swuared up. Otherwise, lots and lots of sanding still to go. Can't believe that I'm still on the first two parts.....

http://photobucket.com/albums/c29/43rdMichael/

Happy modelling.
michael
Keep it up!!

A_C