WIP:1/24 Tamiya 1994 Opel Calibra V6 DTM

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

Topic author
RossW
F3
F3

WIP:1/24 Tamiya 1994 Opel Calibra V6 DTM

Post by RossW »

I bought this kit shortly after it was released in 1995. I did a little work then, and put it away until recently. It will be s-o-b, I'm not getting into the wiring/plumbing on this...too complex and time consuming for me to want to deal with...just want to do a nice job and not screw it up as I get near completion. BTW...Gunze's Mr.Color no.113 RLM04 Gelb(Yellow) is a very close match to the yellow decals. Thanks for looking.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: WIP:1/24 Tamiya 1994 Opel Calibra V6 DTM

Post by daveyman »

Excellent subject choice! Absolutely love this car. How did you get on with the decals, I would have preffered to paint the yellow but some of the sponsorship is incorporated into it. You look to have coped pretty well with it.

Topic author
RossW
F3
F3

Post by RossW »

It is a cool car, you'll notice this same body shape in mid 1990s GM cars(including Saturns) from the sill up. Decals...typical Tamiya, a little thick, but act like they are thin. Use of Micro Set before and Micro Sol after placement helped them a lot. I painted the compound curve areas RLM04 Gelb however...back side of the front wheel arches, the nose area under the headlamps, license plate area in the back, and the floor of the lower front intake(decal is too wide to fit). I trimmed the big decals and broke the door side swooshes into two parts to make placement easier. I didn't bother trying to trim any sponsor decal unless it was going into a tight space...there are a couple on the nose/bumper area like that. Otherwise, I took my time with them, if you use the same softeners I did....don't touch the decal after applying Micro-Sol...the decal wants to cling to whatever touches it...that could spell disaster. Hope that helps.

Topic author
RossW
F3
F3

Post by RossW »

...ready for clear coat on main body, and have to work on window glass with minor assembly to be completed

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Great to see an old DTM car getting do s. I've got two of these and I must get into them. Very nice work so far.