f1rob
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Rob Glowinkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alonso's Current Team
Canada

Re: Alonso

Post by f1rob »

Terry wrote:Doesn't make any sense to get a driver in who is weak in setting up cars and fails consistently to get on with his team mates. McLaren need two reasonably experienced drivers that can work together as a team to advance their collective cause. Assuming Button gets the push, a rookie and a racer sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Alonso is widely regarding in the paddock as one of the best at setting up the car, and that was the reason Hamilton did so well in the first season - he used Alonso's data. He does get along well with teammates, as history has shown. certainly now worse than our beloved Prost, Senna, Schumacher,Piquet, etc. Let's remember them for the way they really were, and not just wax nostalgically!

Cheers,

Rob

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

FWIW my comment is based on an article I read where Alonso's race engineer from Renault said he was consistently misinterpreting data and the way the car performed. Reading between the lines I took it to mean he was weak at set up.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

I think Mclaren could be the biggest suprise for 2015..Ron Dennis in charge.He is the man they need..they are building a "dreamteam"..don't underestimate Honda..they will deliver for sure,just hope McLaren can make the chassis..

Alex.

tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

I just hope they can get back to competing for wins. I think F1 needs either Mclaren or WIlliams to be in that space, or at least, I do :)
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

The big risk with going to McLaren (apart from the fact that they've been floundering for a couple of seasons) is Honda, though.

On the plus side, they've had an extra year to see what everyone else is doing, look at the data and tweak their engine accordingly. It *should* be a better engine as a result.

On the minus side, it'll be the first year for the engine. If they haven't got it right, and the engine freeze regs stay in effect, they're screwed. All the other teams have had a year's worth of practical experience with their engines and will be starting from a better position than they did this year. If Honda's powerplant next year is the equivalent of Renault's this year, it's going to be a tough, tough ear for McLaren.

It's a gamble that could really pay off, but it could also blow up. It's certainly a bigger uncertainty than staying at the Scuderia.
Je ne regrette rien.

FORZAFERRARI
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by FORZAFERRARI »

I still think Alonso stays at Ferrari, At least to 2016, And that Bianchi will join him in 2016 (after Raikkonen quits). Regardings Honda return, Don't forget that they're no newbies when it comes to v6 turbo engine (IndyCar), So i think that Honda could be the surprise 0f 2015.
Cheers,
Remco

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I really think he's leaving. Or rather WANTING to leave. And most probably MAranello wants it too. At least both PR factories are spreading the expected rumours that seem to root the split.

Let's go by parts.

Alonso is a character by himself. Impossible to compare him with other stars. There's some kind of epic that it's gonna happen with hime wherever he is, whatever he does. Not quite sure if that blossoms from himself or his environment... but anyway he choses his environment. It's a bit like Biaggi, in much a wide way to see it. Though at least Biaggi was funny in that clownish character he built.

Setup? who knows! I read the other view a former Renault's engineer (not sure if the same) in which I saw the opposite... or maybe the same? he said he addpated to car's pros and cons like nobody else. That's a praise, but yes it sets a patrh quite different to being a setup wizard. And then who was? Nowadays, who can? Schumi was quoted as that... but there's evidence that either he had lost it or there's no place for taht, today. Consider the way feedback and testing works today... Indeed it well seems he manages to set tha cars (or the teams) more to his liking than his eventual team mate.

I'd say that ANY team will be better with him than without him, in terms of driving, getting results, and basta. Yes there's indeed a big question mark on him about team work "lubrication", and there's no particular evidence that he's a plus in terms or developement, neither a minus, of course.

But he can drive an F1 as fast as anyone and fight every mile of a GP.

Ferrari is no longer comfy with him because yes he can talk too much. And there seems to be the sensation that they are wasting his talents with poor cars. Kinda he puts them in evidence. True or not, but there's that feeling. As Alonzo Harris (he, funny coincidence) says in "Training day" it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
Alonso is tired of not having a good car. It's been 8 years without a title. He now knows he'll never be a 4 or 5 title holder which he most probably expected to be, and has seen one just getting there in front of his noses... and to his own damage: he lost two of those titles.

So what was his plan? wait and see, to an oportunity to materialise: empty place at Mercedes, maybe at Red Bull, propsects of a competitive McLaren (I'm sure Dennis would show him, in order to convince him, more data than usual secrecy would suggest) and jump by surprise... as he tried between 2013 and 2014. But Ferrari shake up, and some media buzz seem to have spoilt that plan.

After all, he's so convinced -as a result of repeating it 10.000 times- that he can win the title with a car some 0,5 sec off the pace, he'll do the rest -I don't remember any champion claiming that, at least so consistently... well bar Biaggi!- so what will happen?

If McLaren and Honda give enough warranties, he'll jump in there. And don't be too surprised if two important sponsors, both "red and white" jump together with him. McLaren sees too calm to having lost Vodafone, Johnnie Walker and now even BOSS (32 years with them!!!!). He may wait for a Merc slot to be empty, but that might be too late.

I don't see him going to Red Bull: if all the Fernando media factory has sustained that Red Bull decide WHO wins, it's quite strange that he'll risk going there to be beaten by Ricciardo... or maybe that'll be a perfect way to keep going with a career full of epic, drama and intrigue :mrgreen:

OK boys, congratulations if you read all this!!!! :lol: :lol:

Robban
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Robban »

Vettel and Kimi @ Ferrari would be nice if the rumor is true.. Alonso I don't care much about but would be a bit sad if Button is without a seat

ghoule319
F3
F3

Post by ghoule319 »

Robban wrote:Vettel and Kimi @ Ferrari would be nice if the rumor is true.. Alonso I don't care much about but would be a bit sad if Button is without a seat
That will never happen, Vettel still has another year on his contract, and there's no reason why Button would be pushed out, there are plenty of no talent hacks in F1 right now, and if their daddy's dont write big enough checks you will see some guys without rides.

Bottas deserves a shot to be number one, Massa is still performing at a top level so you are set on that front, Force india won't be on the grid next year, caterham and marussia are a joke, baby redbull has all sorts of staffing issues and drivers that are getting looked at by other teams.

Alonso and Button would be a great team, two dedicated veteran guys that can setup a car, as well as bring them home in one piece.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

If McLaren flounder again next year, he may jump. Additionally, if the choice is either keep Button or gain Alonso, if Ron Dennis thinks the team would be better off with Alonso, then it's bye. bye Jenson. Button is a good driver, but he may not want to be Alonso's #2, and I can see McLaren wanting to keep Magnussen to groom for the future.

It would be a shame to see something like that play out, and to see Button without a seat... but it's not impossible
Je ne regrette rien.