Jeep
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Jean-Pierre Bastien
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
Canada

Red Bull "torque control"?

Post by Jeep »

Interesting. This could explain a few things...

http://jalopnik.com/red-bull-may-have-i ... /@gmanaugh
Jeep

The Walter Wolf WR-1 Home Page
http://WolfWR1.free.fr

The Ferrari 312T4 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/10f3Vtj

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

Gilles Villeneuve's McLaren M23 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1VZFAkJ

Gilles Villeneuve's Ferrari 312T3 Modeller's Guide
https://bit.ly/2l5z6Ia

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Re: Red Bull "torque control"?

Post by badun »

I don't know, but I love the sound of the Honda engine in the video. :)

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

tells me Vettel knows how to drive & Newey knows how to design a car

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Schumacher had active suspension in '94.

The earth is flat.

Evolution is just a "theory".

Etc.
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

vanhookvintage wrote:Schumacher had active suspension in '94.
No one ever said he had active suspension in '94--it was TC they were discovered (and proven) to have. No theory there.

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

What a lot of rubbish that article is, written by someone who has no idea how the sport is policed.

Every car must be passed by scrutineering. Every technical change or advancement must be revealed to, discussed with and passed by the FIA.

If Red Bull have a "secret" system then good for them. Of course it's a "secret" - they're not going to tell everyone else in the pitlane how they've built a faster car are they? As far as I recall F1 is partly about building the best car to an interpretation of the rules, and therefore encourages innovation in whatever form. I am not the world's biggest Red Bull fan, but I support the advance in technology.

And let's remember that a 32 second win is not "enormous". Think back to the Schumacher steamroller days and this sort of margin was not uncommon. And back in the "good old days" when Jim Clark, Colin Chapman and Lotus were thought of, quite rightly, as the best on the planet, Clark regularly lapped most of the rest of the field. And what about McLaren in '88, usually talked about in hushed tones as a classic year. At the time it was deeply dull.

Jalopnik, as you may have guessed, has not impressed me this time.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Weird isn't it that there is general dislike aimed at Red Bull and Seb yet look at the excitement that probably the most dominant car in Grand Prix history, the Mclaren MP4/4, is generating because of it's upcoming 1/12 release.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Why not just use the Kers as a counter torque load to modulate the engine output torque? When you harness energy during braking you use the brake torque to load the kers generator to collect energy. Is there anywhere in the rules that says you can't load the Kers generator with engine torque under acceleration to modulate engine output torque? They may be able to control it via the differential which can be played with. I haven't read the rules lately, but they may only be restricted on how much kers energy they can capture and not where they get it from? That would not have to change engine mapping at all. Engine map still tries to put out the torque requested by the map but you counter load with kers load.
Last edited by smbrm1 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

smbrm1 wrote:Why not just use the Kers as a counter torque load to modulate the engine output torque? When you harness energy during braking you use the brake torque to load the kers generator to collect energy. Is there anywhere in the rules that says you can't load the Kers generator with engine torque under acceleration to modulate engine output torque? They may be able to control it via the differential which can be played with. I haven't read the rules lately, but they may only be restricted on how much kers energy they can capture and not where they get it from? That would not have to change engine mapping at all. Engine map still tries to put out the torque requested by the map but you counter load with kers load.

Erm, that's exactly what the conspiracy theory is :-)

I'm with daveyman's comment 100%. The hatred and whining about Red Bull and Vettel is baffling me.
So someone came possibly up with a great technical gizmo within those annoyingly tight F1 rules and runs faster than the others!? Good for them. That's what F1 ( or prototype racing in general ) is about. If you don't like that, your following the wrong category.
Look at some of the great dominating cars that we love so much today.
The MP4/4 was also in the last year of a set of rules. Most teams were using an evolution of the previous year's car. Only McLaren and Honda went all out, developed a new chassis and gearbox and a better engine and with the best driver pairing could only beat themselves ( Monza ). Yet this is now an all time classic season/achievement!
The Mercedes W196
The Lotus....25, 33, 49, 72, 79!
The Williams FW14B ( and 15C ).
Brawn!
So people ( fans of other teams ) are p....o.. Vettel is winning another WDC because he is in the best car? Well, on occasion a driver has won a race in an inferior car but no one became WC in one IIRC.
Ask Alonso about his two championships won because of tyres ( and maybe those mass dampers :-), not because he suddenly was a much better driver than Schumacher.
People have lost championships in better cars though. Ask Alonso and Hamilton about 2007...

What i find annoying is, that those gains/ gizmos are so small, invisible and secret these days and completely meaningless for modeling!
That's why i may never build a full detail car post 2008. Just no point...

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Thats what I thought, but I am not sure where the suspension reference comes from in the article quoted?

I agree, I doubt you will ever get any info enough to detail a current F1 car until sometime when it may be a 15-20 year old historic car, and even then I am sure they can conjure up some excuse that its still a secret!